Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
XR5 Likey
Starter Motor

Default XR5 Drive belt failure

I have a wonderful 11 months run with my Mondeo XR5 with no complaints and I have been nothing but impressed by the car.......

Until last Friday.....

The car is my work vehicle and has just clocked up 30 K in the 11 months I have had it. These are predominately sedate Eastlink trips with a few longer family trips. I was travelling back from a work visit in the country and the car stopped and the main serpentine drive belt had failed. It had shredded itself.

I have since had feedback that the belt is not covered by warranty as it is a wear and tear item???

I in all my years 30 of driving I have not had one fail. With the age of the car I would be surprised if it should have worn and torn this early.

What I would like to know is if anyone else has had similar experience. I am in intending to bring this up with for customer service and try and get some clarification on what life expectancy should normally be expected for these parts.

I would appreciate some of your experience, and input. :

XR5 Likey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5 Likey
I have a wonderful 11 months run with my Mondeo XR5 with no complaints and I have been nothing but impressed by the car.......

Until last Friday.....

The car is my work vehicle and has just clocked up 30 K in the 11 months I have had it. These are predominately sedate Eastlink trips with a few longer family trips. I was travelling back from a work visit in the country and the car stopped and the main serpentine drive belt had failed. It had shredded itself.

I have since had feedback that the belt is not covered by warranty as it is a wear and tear item???

I in all my years 30 of driving I have not had one fail. With the age of the car I would be surprised if it should have worn and torn this early.

What I would like to know is if anyone else has had similar experience. I am in intending to bring this up with for customer service and try and get some clarification on what life expectancy should normally be expected for these parts.

I would appreciate some of your experience, and input. :
I agree - 30,000km and less than 12 months on an item like suggest premature failure to me.
When did you get the car serviced last? Surely you should've been warned that it was wearing, and therefore needed replacement?

My Subaru Liberty did 75,000 in 5 years and never had a single belt replaced.
My XR5 turned 1 yesterday and has done 11,900kms. I don't drive much!
But maybe I should be worried.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
XR5 Likey
Starter Motor

The car was booked in for it's 30 K service this week. It is now being done as part of the repair.

The news also gets worse....

Had a call from the Ford Service team apparently the belt has broken something inside the motor and it may be another 4 days off the road...

According to them there is no chance the engine issue caused the belt to fail...

Someones covering the warranties backside here.

I'm starting to think negatively about the car that has been a joy up till now. :
Old 06-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Struggling to come up with exactly what a serpentine belt would 'damage' inside the motor as it broke! All it does is drive the accessories, aircon, steering, alternator, water pump to name them. If they want you to pay for the repairs than I would not be letting the dealer touch the car until they provide you with a full and detailed explanation of exactly what is damaged and how it happened. What dealership are you using?
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
XR5 Likey
Starter Motor

The dealer is Valley Ford in Warragul. The closest dealer to where it broke down. Not ideal as I am from Melbourne.

That is another issue as I was told that Ford Road side assist would cover me for the first 12 months but that only applies to domesticly produced vehicles. So I had to Join RACV on the spot.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
The dealer is Valley Ford in Warragul. The closest dealer to where it broke down. Not ideal as I am from Melbourne.

That is another issue as I was told that Ford Road side assist would cover me for the first 12 months but that only applies to domesticly produced vehicles. So I had to Join RACV on the spot.
This is a bad situation.

When I got my car, I assumed that Ford Assist would be part of the deal (I wasn't told it only lasts for 12 months), as it was when I got my BA Futura for work. And I got the same answer, it doesn't cover imported cars. I drove the car for 6 months before being told this - luckily nothing went wrong, and then got 3 years worth of coverage. I think it cost me under $200 for the three years, which I figured would be cheaper than the total care with the RACV.

Again, the issue seems to be with the lack of information that comes out from dealers when purchasing vehicles, and then with the absolutely hopeless information/help that's provided by the service department.

If it was my car, I'd want it out of the country and into the dealership where I purchased it. Nothing wrong with Valley Ford, and I'm sure they do a good job, but I'd want it closer to home, as it would put me out less to deal with them.

I wish you good luck, as this is a bad situation. I'm in Melbourne too, so if you need help, PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
XR5 Likey
Starter Motor

I wish you good luck, as this is a bad situation. I'm in Melbourne too, so if you need help, PM me and I'll see what I can do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dusty1.

I have at least had news that it will be a warranty job. The problem being it will at least another week. Feel a little nervous about shifting the car as I now have a dealer to admit it is a warranty job, and are prepared to repair under warranty.

It would be nice to have it closer, but I might just leave as is for now.

Starting to feel a little better about all this....
Old 08-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
scribbly

The Ford Assist story is a revelation. Back to the good old RACV I think.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Yep, i wasn't told about it not covering imported vehicles.

The website for Ford Assist (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...=FOA&c=DFYPage) says that it is Falcon and Territory only.

I think it worked out cheaper for me than the equivalent RACV membership, as the three year deal was either $165 or $236.50 for the 'Prestige' version.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 13-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
XR5 Likey
Starter Motor

When is a warranty job not a warranty job???

When they bloody well want it. :

They are now renegging on their previous promise of it being a warranty job and I may be liable for all costs. They are still unsure, even after a week and a half, what the full extent of the issue is but they now say that it was all due to the f..n drive belt and that being a 'wear and tear' item is NOT covered by warranty. :

Will be protesting strongly to FORD CRC and also getting advice from Ombudsman as to what come back I have. Don't want to but may need to get legal advice also. This is getting me really ticked off. :

I am already out of pocket over a grand and that is not on the car itself. :

They need to do more work on it to get a full costing of the repair. Which obviously will mean more cost for me if I can't get them to see my side. This is a heap of . :

I will continue to post updates on this forum and will start new threads as needed. I would appreciate others opinions on my situation and perhaps others experiences in similar cicumstances will assist me. :
Old 13-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Zippy7

Quote:
When is a warranty job not a warranty job???

When they bloody well want it. :

They are now renegging on their previous promise of it being a warranty job and I may be liable for all costs.
Sorry to hear of your plight.

However, you should tell them to stop work immediately. You only gave them permission to work on your car on the proviso that it was covered by warranty. You should inform them that you did not give them consent to perform work that was not covered by warranty. You should get proper legal advice, but if you did not consent to paying for the work, you should not be held liable for it. Likewise, if you were quoted $1k, and you made it clear that $1k is the limit, they cannot turn around and tell you it cost $2k.

Try calling the legal department of your road service provider (for me, that's NRMA).

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 14-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Yep, i wasn't told about it not covering imported vehicles.

The website for Ford Assist (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...=FOA&c=DFYPage) says that it is Falcon and Territory only.

I think it worked out cheaper for me than the equivalent RACV membership, as the three year deal was either $165 or $236.50 for the 'Prestige' version.
Dusty, I would still contest this. The exclusions page doesn't state anything about imported vehicles. ie...

Exclusions

Ford Roadside Assistance does not apply to:

* Bogged vehicles (excluding Territory Ghia, Territory Turbo, Territory Ghia Turbo, and Explorer covered by off-road assistance)
* Unregistered vehicles
* Caravans and trailers
* Vehicles in a remote location (that is, a road not trafficable by a 2 wheel drive recovery vehicle)
* Vehicles over 2.5 tonnes
* Unattended vehicles
* Taxis
* Non-Ford vehicles
* Vehicles over 7 years old
* Vehicles with major body modifications
* Cost of repairs unless covered by your 3 years/100,000km Ford Express New Vehicle Warranty
* Towing after an accident
* Costs associated with rental vehicles unless where stated that Ford Roadside Assistance will pay.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
Dusty, I would still contest this. The exclusions page doesn't state anything about imported vehicles. ie...

Exclusions

Ford Roadside Assistance does not apply to:

* Bogged vehicles (excluding Territory Ghia, Territory Turbo, Territory Ghia Turbo, and Explorer covered by off-road assistance)
* Unregistered vehicles
* Caravans and trailers
* Vehicles in a remote location (that is, a road not trafficable by a 2 wheel drive recovery vehicle)
* Vehicles over 2.5 tonnes
* Unattended vehicles
* Taxis
* Non-Ford vehicles
* Vehicles over 7 years old
* Vehicles with major body modifications
* Cost of repairs unless covered by your 3 years/100,000km Ford Express New Vehicle Warranty
* Towing after an accident
* Costs associated with rental vehicles unless where stated that Ford Roadside Assistance will pay.
I always thought that roadside assist was either free or not available. I don't think its something you can buy, its only a motoring club membership anyway (RACV in Vic) its not something that Ford do, they just enrol you in the RACV as part of the package, and we all (should) know nothing is FREE in this world, the cost is built in. Its seen as a special offer to upper end vehicles so to protect its value its only available on the upper spec models and the Mondeo doesn't sit higher enough on the tree.
Old 14-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I take the points Scribbly and Paulie. I was told that the road side assist is an extra cost by the dealer principal from where I got the car and also by the hopeless Ford CRC. Only after three months of driving the car without the coverage.

The option for me was to not have it, or to use the RACV. My partner likes the security of having roadside assist, and it worked out cheaper than the comparable coverage with the RACV, so I purchased it. Totally my choice.

If you want a definitive answer, contact Ford CRC or a dealer, ask the question: If I was to buy a new Mondoe does it come with any free roadside assist? Unless Ford have another offer to new buyers and/or the rules have changed, I'm pretty sure they will tell you that the 'free' roadside assist doesn't cover imported vehicles. It only covers the Falcon and Territory 'free' for 12 months.

No one told me about this with the Mondeo. I wouldn't like to see anyone on the side of the road with a non-working car having to argue with the numpties at Ford CRC over this.

Regardless of the exclusions as indicated above, the website as quoted above clearly says: 'Ford Roadside Assistance is standard on new Falcon passenger and utility vehicles, as well as the Ford Territory.' It might have changed, but this was the case last year when I took the three year package.
Previous:
Old 14-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I can confirm for you all, the only vehicles to come with standard 12 months Roadside Assistance are Falcon and Territory.

All imports do not include Roadside Assistance.

It has been like this for probably 4-5 years, if not a little more.
Old 14-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #16
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Warranties smorranties...
My 2003 Subaru had a squeaky dash after 6 months. Told dealer, and was fixed no issue (along with another car on same day - bad batch?). Our local dealer (a 'she')knows how to look after their customers.
Ford Australia (and their CRC) would appear to have a few things to learn about customer service.
Every other car I've had with OHC drive belts (6) have been advisory changes at 100,000km.

I've been following these various 'problem' threads for 12 months now. It appears the lack of Ford after sales service is endemic (cultural?). Maybe I should just get that Mazda 6 Lux Sports and forget about the push of a turboed XR5 (or any other Ford product for that matter). I don't need these kinds of high-volume production car build problems - things you might expect/live_with from low-volume makes.

So far tonight...
1. rattles continuing.....
2. generally no after sales support ......
3. multiple XR5's failing to start (frequently), no apparent fix available
....all this from a World Class car !!!
I wonder if I could live with a......Camry ? (Ok, I said it, but it tastes bad - blah!!)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

When I ordered mine I enquired about roadside assist and was advised that only Aussie built Fords were covered so I continued my RACQ membership for peace of mind
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

You have a strong case,you have a full service history low k's and only 12months ownership.Check the service quide when should this belt be change in severe conditions,if that is well above what yours is at then that is proof that even in the most extreme conditons it should not have worn out and therefore is a mnaufacturing problem.
Old 15-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

are we actually talking about the timing belt? cause that's the only belt that can cause problems to an engine. If it's that belt, of course it's a warranty job, they are only meant to be replaced every 100,000, the car is under warranty. Take the car to a better dealer.
Old 20-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #20
XR5 Likey
Starter Motor

The belt is the drive belt, the fan belt in old money. It had apparently wrapped around the timing belt and caused it to jump teeth and the timing being out it has bent valves and caused some other cylinder head damage.

I have had some news on the issue....

Not good news as far as I'm concerned. The failure of the belt is not covered by warranty, as a wear and tear item.

MY $43,000 CAR IS GOING TO COST ME UPWARDS OF $5,000 IN REPAIR AND OUT OF POCKET COSTS AND IT IS LESS THAN 12 MONTHS OLD :

I will try and get some recognition of responsibility from Ford but I think phone calls and polite conversation will not get me there. If you have an idea of what other avenues are open to me please pass it on.
Old 20-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #21
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

take it further.

How the heck did a drive belt interfere with a timing belt. Did it break the timing belt cover? If so, it's a piece of design fault. Sorry, stuff like this aggitates me, especially when there are other companies out there that fix problems even out of warranty. i.e My parents mazda Bravo had a faulty motor, and Mazda agreed to pay for its replacement outside of warranty. Go Mazda.
Old 20-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #22
XR5 Likey
Starter Motor

Apparently the timimng belt is not completely covered. I asked the same question.

Sounds like you could be driving your new car home from the dealer and if the belt fails it's not warranty. There is no reasonable wear time frame in the wording of the warranty. It's just blanketly not covered.

The belt not being covered is bad enough but to have the motor affected and that being lumped with it is . It is 20 days since the failure and they have not even been able to make a start on repairs of the engine. Parts that have been ordered from Ford are on back order and who knows how long they will take to come from Europe.

Anybody know anyone at A Current Affair or Today Tonight?

I manage a team of service engineers for a pathology diagnostics company. If we acted this way and provided such poor customer service as they are we would be out of business.

If other companies like Mazda are doing such things as you say out of warranty then they should be applauded. Perhaps historical performance of the company post sale should be part of all vehicle reviews, so that nasty surprises like this can be avoided and you can make a more informed decision.

I have taken it to Consumer Affairs and will proceed with it through that channel.
Old 20-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/feedback/d...spx?formid=228

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/contactform/30607
Old 20-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Apparently the timimng belt is not completely covered. I asked the same question.

Sounds like you could be driving your new car home from the dealer and if the belt fails it's not warranty. There is no reasonable wear time frame in the wording of the warranty. It's just blanketly not covered.

The belt not being covered is bad enough but to have the motor affected and that being lumped with it is . It is 20 days since the failure and they have not even been able to make a start on repairs of the engine. Parts that have been ordered from Ford are on back order and who knows how long they will take to come from Europe.

I manage a team of service engineers for a pathology diagnostics company. If we acted this way and provided such poor customer service as they are we would be out of business.

If other companies like Mazda are doing such things as you say out of warranty then they should be applauded. Perhaps historical performance of the company post sale should be part of all vehicle reviews, so that nasty surprises like this can be avoided and you can make a more informed decision.

I have taken it to Consumer Affairs and will proceed with it through that channel.
I don't hold much hope for you re the media, you need to go to consumer affairs, thats what they are for.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Why not email the president?
Old 21-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #26
XR5 Likey
Starter Motor

I have some good news

I had contacted A Current Affair via e-mail and they actually called me this morning. Apparently my story was closely aligned to a story they were doing about complaints against large companies and how to get resolutions. They asked to interview me and also to get footage of myself and the car, currently at the dealer in bits. I agreed and approached the dealer for their approval for ACA to come with me to shoot the car. They need permission from their boss and he called me back saying that he would take my case to Ford directly and he would bypass the Ford CRC to try and get some resolution for me.

Shorthly afterwards he called back saying that it was all a breakdown in communication and that Ford would cover all repair costs under warranty. The CRC had not followed normal procedure and escalated a marginal call and had made the call directly on the letter of the warranty document. The resolution was not because ACA had gotten involved.... but should have always been handled in my favour.

They are also looking into a loan vehicle for usage while the repair is happening and they will do the repair as a priority. I haven't broached the topic of my out of pocket expenses but may broach the subject at an opportune time, don't want to push my luck.

ACA may not be why they changed the ruling on the repair but them getting involved has certainly gotten the right peoples attention. If they had not gotten involved I may have been going through the hoops with Consumer Affairs and VCAT for months more.

I have been very lucky...

Thanks to all for your positive input and sympathy. I will update when the car is back on the road, or if there is any other news. :1syellow1
2 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, that's a fantastic result. I think with the current financial climate and the effect on car companies, they really can't afford such negative media. Business is tough these days, but it doesn't excuse the way they treat their customers. So it's a great result. Now, you can have some piece of mind.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #28
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fantastic news. You must be very relieved, congrats.

Well it seems a little bit to convenient to me that all of a sudden the dealer is all over Ford as soon as the word ACA gets mentioned. The fact is they had told you that it wasn’t covered and as soon as the media take an interest all of a sudden it’s a communication error…….. yeah right!! BTW you have done extremely well getting ACA interested, my experience has been they only get interested if it fits their agenda at the time (as it would seem your situation did) so your timing was very good by the sound of it.

At the end of the day you’re getting you car fixed and that’s the main thing. Keep pushing for the loan car, that should come from the dealer out of their 2nd hand fleet so that’s not a big deal, as for your out of pocket expenses I suggest you hit them up for a free service or 2, cheap for them to provide that and good value for you to receive.

Great result, well done!!!!
Old 21-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #29
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank god gor ACA glad to hear it was a positive result!

IMO you should still let ACA film ya tho! remember the hell they put you thru mate... make em pay for the bull they dragged you thru. just tell em what happened. they only got of their cans when ACA got in volved.

Ill be calling ACA instead of consumer affairs in the fufture! haha

What are they replacing for ya?
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #30
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

That is fantastic news, good to see Ford are going to do the right thing. Sounds to me like ACA got them rattled.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post