Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default XR5 Mondeo?

Hey guys, I'm coming up for a new car when I get off my Ps, looking at moving the Focus on and replacing it, I'm looking at spending $20K and I've noticed there are a few Mondeo XR5s getting around, what are they like?

Also what is the major difference between MA/MB Mondeo?

They also look pretty big inside.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: XR5 Mondeo?

BF2 XR6T or XR8?

A T series...maybe a FG XR6T?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

No BA/BF/FG, they have a crappy seating position, its not comfortable for me between the wheel and the seat, seat is too high wheel is too low.

T series sounds alright, TS50 series III in manual but they are way too expensive for what it is, $40K for 250KW, poor value for money.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Why would you look at a TS..plenty of TE's sub $20k..250kw is plenty and it would smash any EU Ford other than a RS...perhaps not worth explaining.

Many other decent cars out there a guy coming off his P's could get for $20k.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
nevetsg

I am amazed that non of the XR5 owners have piped up. I only test drove one when deciding whether to get it or the TDCi. I am old now so I decided to go for the economy and auto of the TDCi. If i was still young and silly (just off my P's) then the XR5 would have been the choice. It has the same engine at the Focus on a bigger Body but that doesn't stop it from getting up and moving.

You should test drive a Deo to see if you like the seating. It is the only car I have driven where the seat is not all the way back. But I would love some more reach from the steering wheel.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

OK, XR5 owner pipes up ......

XR5 is impressive vehicle, espcially in MB model which has extras as std over MA (e.g. bluetooth, sunroof, USB/iPod sync, red piping stitching, piano black console....)

XR5 in general....
....only Mondeo with manual gearbox, but comes with turbo in-line 5 cyl 2.5 @ 165kw + 300Nm (Volvo T5 motor from when Ford owned Volvo).
Packed with creature confort goodies e.g. auto cruise, heated fr seats, dual zone air con, rear air con vents, ABS + EBD, 6-stack CD, sunroof ....
Very quiet and comfy on the highway with plenty of poke when you want it.
Huge boot (roofbox not used in 3.5yrs !!!) when carting four adults and luggage on interstate trips.
Pretty good driving dynamics for it's size, but remember it's not a sports car. Can quite easily hussle along without too much effort.
Note: Seating is designed for people with long legs proprtionally to overall body height. Short legs means seat too far forward for effective clutch use.

Focus XR5 has basic same mechanicals but different philosophy behind design - more sporty.

I chose XR5 Mondeo (MB model) over: (manual box mandatory !!!)
- BF Falcon XR6T - XR5 much nicer inside and very bulky console in Falcon. Still felt poverty pack and no test drive needed.
- Subaru Liberty (since was changing from Gen3 Outback)....plasticky and ugly
- Mazda6 Sport - smaller and not as plush, plus no turbo on petrol model. Even more limited rear visibility. Low rear seat roof in hatch. XR5 seats nicer (Alcantara+Leather) rather than M6 full leather (slippery and hot for Oz).
MB (second model) also means production assembly issues should have been sorted e.g. leaky rear hatch/window seal on early MA's.

XR5 economy excellent (8.8lt/100km after 60,000kms of logging consumption) but not in major capital city home location. If I was in SYD or MEL I'd probably go an auto box for everyday driving, which would mean another brand of choice.

Overall, bang for buck you'd be hard pressed to do better.
Check out the brouchure under the Gallery from main forum page.

Only downside is the size in multi-storey carparks. Mondeo is not small or even medium class. i.e. wider and longer wheelbase than Falcon, but a bit shorter overall.

Would I buy another one (XR5 eqv) ?
.....would seriously consider an update. Awaiting Fusion/Mondeo for 2015 market.

p.s. A mate has a Falcon BA Mk2 XR6T, which is faster in a straight line and less refined IMHO, and he loves driving my XR5........'nuff said.

But each to their own............

______________-
Mpndeo 2010 MB XR5T 2.5lt, 6spd 3-pedal full manual, Moondust Silver, Leather (red piping) + Alcantara, Bluetooth, Sunroof, Tow pack etc etc etc
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg View Post
I am amazed that non of the XR5 owners have piped up. I only test drove one when deciding whether to get it or the TDCi. I am old now so I decided to go for the economy and auto of the TDCi. If i was still young and silly (just off my P's) then the XR5 would have been the choice. It has the same engine at the Focus on a bigger Body but that doesn't stop it from getting up and moving.

You should test drive a Deo to see if you like the seating. It is the only car I have driven where the seat is not all the way back. But I would love some more reach from the steering wheel.
The XR5 Mondeo is an awesome car.

It might be a 5T in a mondeo but it doesnt go like a focus it is a much heavier car. Still goes well but the weight disadvantage is noticable. But they are an awesome car to drive and with a few mods the go pretty well. Also they are very well equipped, a lot better than the focus thats for sure.

Do it Damo you wont regret it..... i mean 5 Cylinder turbo IMO there isnt an engine that makes a noise quite like these do. I miss mine some days.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So far on the shortlist to replace the Focus

Mazda 6 MPS
Mondeo XR5

If the Ambo sells as well:

F250 (lol)

The 6 MPS has lots of aftermarket goodies available for it off the shelf.

The XR5 looks nice on the inside, do they have HIDs factory? I like that big info screen in the cluster.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #9
mighty-mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
So far on the shortlist to replace the Focus

Mazda 6 MPS
Mondeo XR5

If the Ambo sells as well:

F250 (lol)

The 6 MPS has lots of aftermarket goodies available for it off the shelf.

The XR5 looks nice on the inside, do they have HIDs factory? I like that big info screen in the cluster.

XR5 has more off the shelf options over the MPS i believe. Just go here and if your wallet is deep then 400hp is possible off the shelf.
http://www.j-w-racing.co.uk/

Im at stage 3 with 239 hp at the wheels and looking to change out the injectors with the ones from my RS as its getting bigger ones as well. Not sure if the 440cc injectors will make a difference over stock 370cc but will take her down to infinitechtuning here in Perth for a custom tune. Would love to go stage 4 with the RS turbo but exchange rates are killing us at the moment.

One of the XR5 owners in QLD has gone stage 4 and just loves it. 400hp brings a lot of giggles but the empty wallet has the opposite effect. You will love the Mondeo and the MB is the better car given all the extra features and yes self leveling bi xenon lights.

This will be my next Mondeo:-
http://www.caradvice.com.au/257100/f...cept-revealed/
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Xenon lights, self leveling, and extra lights that illumnate around a tight corner .e. turning into driveway. Just like the Citroen DS of many years ago.
Mazda6 MPS is also electonically controlled 4WD, and sedan only. XR5 is harch only.

(Next gen Fusion/Mondeo can be a v6 + 4WD iirc......sounds interesting...)

The MB XR5/Titianium have basicallt the same sepc apart from the mechanical package.
Pretty much all the goodies you could want, and then some....
Awesome value for money.

As I said above the philosophy driving the XR5/Titanium package is different to Focus XR5. Something like...
Mondeo XR5 - understated luxo autobahn cruiser....mit poke when wanted
Fcous XR5 - country lane barn stormer hot hatch.....

And our Oz-labelled 'XR5' sold as the 'ST' version in the UK. ('tho they could have some even more goodies options, possibly due to bigger market)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mondeo is an odd looking hatch, looks like a sedan, whats the load area like in the boot?

I wouldn't mind next gen Mondeo but I thought it was supposed to come out this year? By the time it comes out here in 2015 it will be getting a bit long in the tooth I reckon if it is already being sold in other countries.

Also after a manual, don't like auto cars.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Mondeo is an odd looking hatch, looks like a sedan, whats the load area like in the boot?
Excellent!!

That's the beauty of the Mondeo hatch. Sedan looks with hatch/wagon practicality.

We have a Titanium EcoBoost Hatch. Originally were set on a wagon, but the Titanium Wagon only comes in TDCi for some reason. Not keen on a diesel, we went for the Hatch instead.

The hatch opens up nice and high, with a wide opening and deep overall load space. Fold the seats down and the skys the limit.

The front seats are super over long distances as well as in the bends. Great stereo, solid interior build and everything you could need in a cabin.

Choosing between an XR5T and a MPS.......... well the Mazda is a great car but its a generation behind the 2007 onwards MA-MC Mondeo. The MPS was based on the first generation 6 2002-2008. The Mondeo would be a safer (7 airbags over 6) and stronger car and has that proven, burbly Volvo inline 5.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

At the moment with the Focus I can fit my toolbox standing up and my spare wheel tied up next to it, with room to spare for a bag, though hopefully by March when I'm off my Ps I wont have to deal with the tools anymore, trying to get out of the workshop.
Old 13-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

boot is approx 525lts, bigger than eqv Mazda6 of the day (2010)....whatever the brochure under this Forums "Gallery" says.....basically.....cavernous

Doubt it would hold a spare wheel standing up....but then this is not the car for that sort of luggage. A ute might suit you better........(prob. wrong answer)

Also, the XR5 standard spare wheel is a space saver, limited to 80km/h.(but at least you get one)
...Doh!! for a country like Oz with (sometimes) huge distances between towns ? Go figure that marketing strategy.
Old 14-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I presume the speed limit for the spare is to avoid transmission damage for those foolish enough to fit one to one of the drive wheels??
My C'dore wagon is the same, even though the rolling diameters are similar.
Touch wood, haven't had to use the spare on either car!

Steve
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #16
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

The space saver...um...saves boot space - about 14mm wide rather than 235mm wide, and I presume is a lot cheaper than the $400 OEM Continental ContactSport2 tyres, and the steel rim has to be cheaper than the $880 XR5 ultra-specially ugly 18" x 8" wheels.
At least it is better than a can of goo !!!

Rolling diameter would have to be the same otherwise dangerous handling would immediately result.

Someone on this forum has put a full size spare 17" into their Zetec(?) wagon floor, with a box section booster to make the floor level again (see other threads).
Old 15-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
boot is approx 525lts, bigger than eqv Mazda6 of the day (2010)....whatever the brochure under this Forums "Gallery" says.....basically.....cavernous

Doubt it would hold a spare wheel standing up....but then this is not the car for that sort of luggage. A ute might suit you better........(prob. wrong answer)

Also, the XR5 standard spare wheel is a space saver, limited to 80km/h.(but at least you get one)
...Doh!! for a country like Oz with (sometimes) huge distances between towns ? Go figure that marketing strategy.
Had a space saver spare in the Focus, still got it in its spot to keep the floor level, but got a full size 16" wheel in the back next to my toolbox, I hate space saver wheels.

Before I got another set of wheels cause I busted the one in the back (drove on it for 500m on the rim LOL) because I CBF changing it close to home, had the space saver on for about 1500km on the back, did 80km/h on it once, rest of the time was driving on it at 100km/h+.

I don't believe in 80km/h spare wheels lol, hence why I'm lugging around a full size wheel.

I'm not a coke addict, those bottles in the back are for water for the washer bottle lol and that rim without a tyre isnt in the back anymore.

But as you can see thats the sorta crap I haul around with me daily, but I might not need the toolbox in the back anymore, so that will no longer be a problem if I get off the tools like I'm trying to.
Old 20-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #18
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

about 14mm wide rather than 235mm wide....oops, make that 140mm wide spacesaver spare.....

Wheel would stand up without the boot cover, like your Focus.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #19
sleek7

I own a BF xr6t and an MB xr5t. The Mondy is a much more refined car, just feels more solid when driving. Creature comforts are awesome in the MB, I have more gizmos than my work colleague who owns a Merc. Seats are comfy, though are designed for a smaller framed person unlike the falcon. In the falcon I have bit of sliding space between the side of the seats (which annoys me as I'm not a big unit at all) where as I fit snugly into the xr5. Seats do not have the same adjustment as the falcon though (only up and down, no tilt).
As an everyday driver I prefer the Mondy over xr6 but I do wish it had more grunt at WOT (though can’t really compare 240kw at the wheels on the xr6t with the xr5...). Another bug bear is the creaking in the cabin during the heat, has been REALLY giving me the sh*ts lately, the plastic tends to flex a bit more when warm and can give off a really annoying noise that can be hard to silence.
I'm averaging 8.0l/100 in mine on 98RON.
Edit: Knew there was more I was going to add, aside from the standard extra stuff you get in the MB over the MA, the MAs (although also in the occasional MB that I have heard of...) had a tendency to leak around the boot/hatch.

Last edited by sleek7; 12-02-2014 at 11:48 PM.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #20
mighty-mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek7 View Post
I own a BF xr6t and an MB xr5t. The Mondy is a much more refined car, just feels more solid when driving. Creature comforts are awesome in the MB, I have more gizmos than my work colleague who owns a Merc. Seats are comfy, though are designed for a smaller framed person unlike the falcon. In the falcon I have bit of sliding space between the side of the seats (which annoys me as I'm not a big unit at all) where as I fit snugly into the xr5. Seats do not have the same adjustment as the falcon though (only up and down, no tilt).
As an everyday driver I prefer the Mondy over xr6 but I do wish it had more grunt at WOT (though can’t really compare 240kw at the wheels on the xr6t with the xr5...). Another bug bear is the creaking in the cabin during the heat, has been REALLY giving me the sh*ts lately, the plastic tends to flex a bit more when warm and can give off a really annoying noise that can be hard to silence.
I'm averaging 8.0l/100 in mine on 98RON.
Edit: Knew there was more I was going to add, aside from the standard extra stuff you get in the MB over the MA, the MAs (although also in the occasional MB that I have heard of...) had a tendency to leak around the boot/hatch.

The Mondeo can get up and move but just needs a tune to help lift her skirt
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
sleek7

Yep but then you get the problem of torque steer, the xr5 already has enough of that when booting it in 2nd gear... I take it you have a tune on yours? Can I ask how you tuned it (Custom or pre-set?, Ive heard of 'bluefin' tuners for the xr5s)? I recall the boys at Blue Power mentioning they wouldn't be keen to custom tune it...
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #22
mighty-mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek7 View Post
Yep but then you get the problem of torque steer, the xr5 already has enough of that when booting it in 2nd gear... I take it you have a tune on yours? Can I ask how you tuned it (Custom or pre-set?, Ive heard of 'bluefin' tuners for the xr5s)? I recall the boys at Blue Power mentioning they wouldn't be keen to custom tune it...

Yep...went bluefin/superchips stage1 first. Much better than stock for sure.

I have never noticed any torque steer to be honest. I now have the JW Racing stage 3 on her and fitted uprated clutch from the Focus RS together with a Quaife LSD from the RS but still cant say i feel any torque steer even at 239hp at the front wheels. The Mondeo is a heavy car and would love to put the stage 4 on it being the RS turbo upgrade at 400hp. One of the guys in QLD has it and is very impressed with the drive ability of the car and again has never mentioned about torque steer issues.

The RS turbo is so expensive so dont think it will ever get past the treasurer but very soon will fit some RS injectors 440cc in lieu of Mondeos 370cc ones plus a custom tune. Will be interesting to see if she goes past 250hp at the wheels.

Bilstein B8 suspension and Pedders springs might be also helping to control it all on some Kumo k31 tyres.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C1A3160.jpg (144.6 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by mighty-mon; 14-02-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 14-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #23
nevetsg

I have never felt torque steer in my TDCi. She doesn't feel like a FWD in that regard.
Drove a Mazda 6 loner car and that thing through you at the curb every time you touched the accelerator.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post