Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default About to buy a new V8 manual Mustang.

I have been trawling through the carsales web sights. There are plenty to choose from these days. Lots with less than 5k on them. Can anyone tell me why there are so many low kilo vehicles out there. Are they x demo cars? Ex executive cars? I'm talking cars from dealers here. Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 28-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
qdda5

Default Re: About to buy a new V8 manual Mustang.

Coz the original owners found out they have a 2 star ancap rating and got rid of them .
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdda5 View Post
Coz the original owners found out they have a 2 star ancap rating and got rid of them .
Really? I heard something about the safety rating but didn't take a lot of notice. I'll get one regardless of the safety rating.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
bungarra

A friend who works for a used car dealer has said, a lot of the low KM vehicles in WA are due to the FIFO's losing their jobs and had the cars ordered and many paid for before they lost their jobs and also some have had the cheese and kisses tell them it is not suited to their situation. Apparently a lot of guys with kids bought them and found you can barely fit older kids in the back.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why because it doesn't have auto braking and blind spot monitoring and all the other passive safety things?
Oh and not great for backseat passengers. Who buys a Mustang to carry more than 1 person around.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
anto
Za Dom spremni

I bought my red manual gt with 5000 km on it from bayford in vic and saved over 10k. Later found that chaz mostert was the original owner listed in the owners manual....go figure.
At least I know it was run in properly.
A lot have lowkms on them , my theory is a lot of people impulse bought them. They're quite a firm bumpy ride, maybe too much for some people. Not the most practical car.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #7
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Really? I heard something about the safety rating but didn't take a lot of notice. I'll get one regardless of the safety rating.
Long as you dont get T Boned by a daihatsu Charade you will be fine lol.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #8
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
I doubt that any Mustang produced in it's 52 year history would ever have had more than 2 stars if they were rated by today's standards.

Yet that has not stopped the Mustang becoming the best-selling sports car of all time.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
Lunch
Wait, what?

what was 1 of the Mustangs most appealing traits was you only saw maybe 1 on the road per month and only on a weekend, since the release of the new 1, I honestly see at least 8 everyday and I'm only on the road for 40 mins, don't get me wrong they're a great looking car but I've seen less turbo Falcons lately than I've seen mustangs, you want something quick and rare, buy a Sprint 8, seen maybe 1 of those in the past 4 months
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Lunch
Wait, what?

Although if I had to, I could quite easily park this 1 in my garage

Currently for sale on carsales
( sorry about the size )
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
what was 1 of the Mustangs most appealing traits was you only saw maybe 1 on the road per month and only on a weekend, since the release of the new 1,
Ford's flooded the market with these things along with the Ranger.
I wonder how many are for sale around the Hunter Valley with all the mine job losses ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I doubt that any Mustang produced in it's 52 year history would ever have had more than 2 stars if they were rated by today's standards.

Yet that has not stopped the Mustang becoming the best-selling sports car of all time.
So your saying in 52 years they havent learnt how to make the current Mustang a safer car on the road.?
Pretty poor effort really. Which is another factor as to the flood if them on the market no doubt.
Old 29-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Give it a rest mate. It's well known the Stang was tested on new criteria and would have been a 4/5 if tested against the same criteria as most other makes were such as the Falcon.

The Stang lost out on issues such as not having such things as lane departure warning yet nor did any Falcon but it got higher due to different criteria, which the Stang should also have been tested against.

But IMHO many current safety inclusions are BS gimmicks. If you need your dash to buzz to advise you're drifting into another lane then maybe you should really be considering handing in your licence.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been wondering the same. Talked to the local dealer service manager the other day whilst getting some stuff sorted on my ranger. I mentioned I was getting a mustang in the next six months. I was surprised when he tried talking me out of it, he really stressed that I drive one before buying. He hates the manual especially and said he hates the long bonnet and blind spots. So I went and had a chat to the sales guy and he reckons they can't sell them. They've had two sitting there for months and have recently dropped another $5K off and were thinking of dropping them further.

I'm not deterred. Work sent me to hawaii a couple of years back and stuck me in a mustang for a week, previous model. I loved the thing. I've been wanting one since. I plan on picking up one of the last 2017 when the new model is released. I wonder if they're not the most practical car. People buy them and use them as a daily and get the ****s putting the golf clubs, kids, or shopping in the back. Those long doors in skinny car parks might be a problem too. For me its a toy to replace my porsche. It can't be any less practical than a porsche surely.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #15
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

I think many people who ordered originally did not think they would be as popular and thought the numbers coming in would not be so high, so they bought one trying to make a quick buck, borrowed money to do so, but now because there are so many, their plan backfired, have to sell as they cannot afford the loan when they have not made quick cash over night.

Once you drive one of these, the 2 star rating quickly vanishes into thin air as you drive with the biggest smile you have had from a car in a long time!! If you like to drive something a little special and fun, don't wait just buy it, if not hold on a buy an autonomous vehicle (boring) and let the car drive you or buy a Camry lol

I may be wrong but the Mustang is one of the only two door cars tested, if you look at the ANCAP site, Porsche does not even get a mention.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
Give it a rest mate. It's well known the Stang was tested on new criteria and would have been a 4/5 if tested against the same criteria as most other makes were such as the Falcon.

The Stang lost out on issues such as not having such things as lane departure warning yet nor did any Falcon but it got higher due to different criteria, which the Stang should also have been tested against.

But IMHO many current safety inclusions are BS gimmicks. If you need your dash to buzz to advise you're drifting into another lane then maybe you should really be considering handing in your licence.
l guess airbags deploying incorrectly, doors opening, poor rear seat ratings (yes there is 4 seats so people can & do sit there) are just gimmick? Why people defend this rating is beyond me.. Cars using the current system are getting 5 stars, 2 stars is a joke.. Its the #1 reason lm waiting for the next all new Mustang before l buy one.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
yes there is 4 seats so people can & do sit there
I have been driving Mustangs since the early 70s. A 67 fastback "2+2" was the first one I drove. Had a '69 Mach 1 up until 1999 and driven several newer models. Nobody has ever sat in the back. This goes for me and friends of mine who drive Mustangs too.

I could be mistaken, but I think the couple items that dinged the Mustangs rating this year will be available in the 2018.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #18
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post

Its still 2 star?. Seriously. Give it a rest ... .lol
Old 29-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all , If it was a choice between a 2016 Sprint or a 2015-2017 Mustang it'd be a Sprint all day for me. Just would suit me and ticks more boxes for me if I could unlikely afford or find one.
Lowish income ,too many bills , no real hope of getting a Mustang any time soon but for desirability the upcoming 2018 Mustang might go on my dream list one day if my tattslotto numbers or long lost relative's deceased estate comes through. Who knows ?
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #20
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day all , If it was a choice between a 2016 Sprint or a 2015-2017 Mustang it'd be a Sprint all day for me. Just would suit me and ticks more boxes for me if I could unlikely afford or find one.
Lowish income ,too many bills , no real hope of getting a Mustang any time soon but for desirability the upcoming 2018 Mustang might go on my dream list one day if my tattslotto numbers or long lost relative's deceased estate comes through. Who knows ?

Never wait for someone to give you money. You need to make it yourself.
boss351290 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #21
nstg8a

Quote:
Its still 2 star?. Seriously. Give it a rest ... .lol
Stupid thing with the new ratings is that as a driver you are less likely to be injured in a 2 star mustang than in a five star fg falcon....

This is the problem with measuring cars under two different regimes, and a one size fits all testing process.

Rather than just looking at the 'ermmagerd mustang is 2 star' headlines you need to look at the data to see why.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #22
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Never wait for someone to give you money. You need to make it yourself.
G'day , It would be lovely but at my age that's not the most likely thing . Not blessed with great speculative money making skills either unfortunately. I'll be retiring in about 7 years and i hope two things happen by then apart from good health. First thing is a Richmond Tigers premiership and the second is I hope my eventual halfway decent Super plan and entitlements package will allow me to enjoy a new car OR..that elusive Div 1 Lotto win. I speculate $9.25 each week. Would be nice all round. Imagine an old bugger in a pristine nick FGX XR8 or a brand new Mustang with black and yellow streamers hanging out the windows on Grand Final Day like my XR6 is today. GO TIGERS for 2017 to tick one thing off the bucket list.
Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 30-09-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 30-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #23
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day For all the Mustang crew , any strong opinions on the upgraded car for 2018/19 . I notice in the US there's a minority who don't like it but generally most do. Not being (yet) a massive Mustang person it'd be good to know what the Aussie mustang brigade think .
I notice that the Euro spec Mustangs missed out on a few things the North American 2015 onwards have and is that the same with ours ?
Hope the new model on the way will start to meet any spec shortfalls as time goes on. Cheers Rod.
Old 30-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #24
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2018 model fixes safety tech issues.....
Old 30-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #25
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NICE !!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvZVr_Jc_U
Old 30-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #26
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it's a 2 door, primarily V8, sports car and after the last 18 months or so of sales I think we have reached market saturation with most people that wanted and could afford it have purchased one...........some have tried Mustang and moved on, some probably not that many will be waiting for the 2018 model refresh. I'm not yet convinced that Ford Au have come to terms with the concept of a model that is refreshed annually, and how to manage that.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #27
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Australians have never been huge supporters of 2 doors and most brands decline after the initial flurry and my guess is some of the owners are finding out just how impractical they can be.

The same can be said for convertibles, on average it's too hot here in summer to have the top down and too cold in winner leaving a small window of opportunity to really use them.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #28
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
So a car manufactured under 2014-2015 design regulations and safety standards fails/ obtains a 2 star rating using the new European 2018 standards?

I must be missing something here!!!

Is there any manufacturer willing to put their vehicle under this same tests 4 yrs on? Didn't think so!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #29
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

We have a MY2017 Auto ( wife doesn't drive manuals).

Awesome car, aftermarket exhaust and it had been lowered an inch.

Go for it.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #30
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
So a car manufactured under 2014-2015 design regulations and safety standards fails/ obtains a 2 star rating using the new European 2018 standards?

I must be missing something here!!!

Is there any manufacturer willing to put their vehicle under this same tests 4 yrs on? Didn't think so!!
In the US lane change avoidance and self braking play no roll in the safety tests, as of now. In Australia, it appears these items are heavily weighted in the testing.

The US testing considers several different collision tests and a roll over. Both the Mustang and Camaro received mostly "GOOD" ratings (highest rating) and 1 "ACCEPTABLE" rating (mid rating).

However for the 2017 model year the Mustang does not have lane change avoidance or self braking. I don't know about the Camaro yet.

The 2018 Mustang will have both of these features.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post