Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Drivers without lights on at dusk/night.....WTF???

I don't know wot some drivers are on but the amount of cars i been seeing lately without 'at least' parkers on during dusk/night driving is just ridiculous.

Suburban and country roads, no one seems to give a stuff.

How do these drivers even see what speeds they doing on the speedo if thers no lights on.

New cars have 'daytime' lights (LEDS) which is a good thing but alot of older cars don't have this feature.

What are the driving instructor's teaching these days.

It's gotten so bad lately that i actually flash oncoming cars without lights on but they don't seem to have any idea???
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Drivers without lights on at dusk/night.....WTF???

I can forgive it in shopping centre carparks as they're all lit up like day time half the time anyway, and some newer cars have dash lights that are always on. But how people don't notice once they exit onto the main road away from the lights is beyond me.
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Lugh

One of my pet peeves this is. See it all the time where I am, as i'm usually commuting at dawn/dusk. Also gets foggy a lot around here and about one in five refuse to put their lights on. I just don't get it.
Old 16-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
Neme
Needav8

Unfortunately my new job means I have to drive the M4 every day, 4am and often at dusk or after home. The amount of cars doing this is mind boggling. 110kmh on the M4 with no lights on in the dark!
The odd thing with the dusk warriors too is they always seem to be the dark grey cars that are harder to see.
Old 16-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neme View Post
The odd thing with the dusk warriors too is they always seem to be the dark grey cars that are harder to see.
The majority seem to have P plates, and forget Parking lights. They're called that for a reason.
Old 16-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I think the problem is that some cars (like my own FG MKII) have the dash lights on all the time automatically, even during the day and at night without my parkers or low beams having to be on....

So drivers of these cars, many who probably began their trip during daylight, then as dusk comes, are not concentrating on driving and their mind is else where, can still see their speedo and dash gauges, and forget to turn on their headlights, especially in well lit roads with street lights.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years ago the instrument cluster only lit up with the lights turned on so
you used to notice the instruments were not lit up
so you knew you needed to turn on your lights.

These days on so many cars the instrument cluster lights up as soon as the car
is started so it's easier not to
notice that it's time to turn on the lights.

I believe this is part of the reason why we are seeing so many "people" driving after dusk around without their lights these days.

It's a pet hate of mine also.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
Sioso
irregular member

Yep, I drive home at this time every night in winter on country roads, its scary when an oncoming car appears right at the last minute travelling at 100kmh. Certainly makes me get a good look before overtaking.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Another goodie is, DRL's are not headlight substitutes for night time driving. Still dont understand how dash lights always on can make people think their lights are on, if their car does that im certain it has auto lights aswell.

Im the opposite, my old focus had DRL's and i used auto lights. Now i have the FG i just turn the lights on everytime i get in be it day or night
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All motorcycles were made to have 'lights on at all times' about 20 years ago which is great.

And ye as mentioned alot of these 'drivers' seem to be in black or dark coloured cars which makes matters even worse at mornings/dusk/night.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are Ghost Cars all over these highways, you know.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
monzie

A lot of drivers just don't care, driving is something they do because they have to, not because they want to.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
sr71

My missus drives with lights on all the time. It means that bulb replacement has become annual.
I've got an issue with some of the LED lights, and the adaptive systems that light up around the corner, which is off topic. Sort of?
I like Mercedes, but I've noticed that their new cars' lights are too bright at times. My eyes are still good, and I don't like to stereotype here, but many owners of MB are elderly, with naturally deteriorated eyesight. So they probably don't realize they are dazzling oncoming drivers, while enjoying their super bright lights.. It's an issue with other brands as well.
I'm left thinking that can't be good for my eyes, that are dilated, then flashed with intense light. A bit like bloody High Beam drivers, who don't turn them off for oncoming traffic. Again off topic. But those fwits, have me thinking of hooking up Boeing 747 lights angled towards them. Just a quick flash might make them realize, they're being inconsiderate. ( could also have me up for manslaughter)
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't know why all the complaints !!
people are lazy they gave up with indicators years back
now its the head lights turn
just coz they know where they are or where their going
doesn't matter bout no one else

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

I also like to be a part of the head light brigade but I have seen too many car park fender benders. I'm not talking about shopping centres but underground car parks. By design there is extra lighting around the entry to let your eyes adjust, but to maximise space the driveways are typically pretty narrow so I go by the beam of the oncoming car coming up to corners. That's if they have their lights on. People fang it for no reason in car parks so its obvious why accidents happen.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #16
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

If I was a traffic cop needing to fill my quota, I'd just park by the side of any highway at dusk and haul in dozens of cars without their headlights on or the many more who have one headlight blown.

No need to go chasing speedsters and spilling my takeaway coffee.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Once had a chuckle witnessing police officers driving around the CBD with no headlights. They must have been some stealth operation or just plain oblivious.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #18
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I would love to re-write all the penalties for traffic offences myself to take into account real dangers. IMO driving at night without lights on is an immediate $3k fine and 6 months loss of licence, and for repeat offenders, an attempted manslaughter charge! And DRL's don't count, because all they do is blind you when they're on full pelt at night time (they dim down when headlights are on)
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #19
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know of one particular Asian country where it's illegal to use your headlights during the day.
Unfortunately the un-educated seem to think that implies you can't use the headlight(s) full stop!

Driving at night is a death wish.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #20
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
I would love to re-write all the penalties for traffic offences myself to take into account real dangers. IMO driving at night without lights on is an immediate $3k fine and 6 months loss of licence, and for repeat offenders, an attempted manslaughter charge! And DRL's don't count, because all they do is blind you when they're on full pelt at night time (they dim down when headlights are on)
With all due respect that's like giving someone a life jail sentence for a parking infringement.
What is needed here, rather than kneejerk reactions, is education. Some drivers may have inadvertently moved their light switch from AUTO to OFF for instance, some simply don't know they have no external lights running, especially when you're leaving your local Westfield and are surrounded by a sea of lights and movement.
The other one is unfamiliarity with a vehicle, I once saw a rental mits challenger on the main highway 200ks from Adelaide at night with only its DRLS running, no tail lights, I caught up with it at a truck stop, the driver could see a light pattern on the road and the reflection on cars infront, had no idea it wasn't headlights.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #21
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
All motorcycles were made to have 'lights on at all times' about 20 years ago which is great.

And ye as mentioned alot of these 'drivers' seem to be in black or dark coloured cars which makes matters even worse at mornings/dusk/night.
I believe that law got changed, at least in NSW.

http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/136.html

Because research showed it made no difference. Apparently.
I believe motorcyclist groups lobbied to have the law overturned, no idea why, some weak reason though from memory.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #22
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
With all due respect that's like giving someone a life jail sentence for a parking infringement.
What is needed here, rather than kneejerk reactions, is education. Some drivers may have inadvertently moved their light switch from AUTO to OFF for instance, some simply don't know they have no external lights running, especially when you're leaving your local Westfield and are surrounded by a sea of lights and movement.
The other one is unfamiliarity with a vehicle, I once saw a rental mits challenger on the main highway 200ks from Adelaide at night with only its DRLS running, no tail lights, I caught up with it at a truck stop, the driver could see a light pattern on the road and the reflection on cars infront, had no idea it wasn't headlights.
When someone comes roaring down the M4 at 110 with no headlights on at midnight, and they almost take you and your family out because you couldn't see them when changing lanes, you'll know what I mean....
It's looking at the potential impact these actions have. What if a pedestrian is crossing the road and can't see the black Nissan Pathfinder screaming towards her because nitwit couldn't figure out the light switch? What then?
In comparison, parking for 2h in a 1h parking spot never hurt anybody.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #23
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neme View Post
The amount of cars doing this is mind boggling. 110kmh on the M4 with no lights on in the dark!
It's because they can see out of their windscreen and their instruments just fine.
They don't consider that they need lights so that other people can see them.

That.. in my personal opinion.. stems from a greater issue where noone cares about common courtesy in the community anymore.

I have a story that's probably totally unrelated but I'll tell it anyway 'cause I find it really interesting. About a year ago I was heading to a grocery store and as I was walking from the car park to the store, I came across this guy who was walking back to the car park.

We were both walking up against the wall and we both came around the corner at the same time, and both had to come to an abrupt stop as we were both on the same path, else we would have run into each other.

There was that brief moment where someone has to decide to step over and take the another path, and normally I do without hesitation but for ****s and giggles I decided to just wait an extra second or two to see if he would step over instead. He didn't have any bags or anything so it's not like giving way to someone who's trying to get back to their car with heavy groceries.

Anyway, after a couple of seconds it seemed that neither one of us was stepping to the side and so it got super awkward.
After about 5 seconds he does step over so that he can keep walking and gee he was mad. He started ranting and raving about why he should have to get out of the way, why didn't I get out of his way!

It was super interesting but really outlined for me how most people seem to have this expectation that others must move out of their way, but no concern about ever moving out of the way of others.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

With this day and age of modern technology, I think the ADR authorities have been too slack in allowing auto headlights and dash lights in vehicles, without ensuring provision of safety systems being activated to ensure headlights and tail lights are switched on when dark.

It should be mandatory in vehicles there is a warning chime with cluster message when headlights are not switched on when dark when ignition is switched on, triggered by the sunlight sensor. Or even headlights automatically switched on regardless of light switch setting. So simple to implement in todays vehicles.

After all the chime/message system works for other even not so important reasons.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #25
LukaPuka
Gen Y Falcon nut

You will usually see it as a later model car that is doing it, since the instrument clusters are illuminated no matter if the lights are on or off.

It grinds my gears so much that people can be so stupid. I have seen numerous BLACK cars doing it. How the hell are we meant to ee you at night in black car with no lights on. NOT even parkers.

I've even driven behind a car with no lights on and a cop follow them and not even try tell them to turn the lights on or pull them over. It is infuriating to witness.
Old 18-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #26
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
With this day and age of modern technology, I think the ADR authorities have been too slack in allowing auto headlights and dash lights in vehicles, without ensuring provision of safety systems being activated to ensure headlights and tail lights are switched on when dark.

It should be mandatory in vehicles there is a warning chime with cluster message when headlights are not switched on when dark when ignition is switched on, triggered by the sunlight sensor. Or even headlights automatically switched on regardless of light switch setting. So simple to implement in todays vehicles.

After all the chime/message system works for other even not so important reasons.
My Commodore is default to permanently be on auto, when it gets dark they come on. You cannot accidentally leave them off as the off setting has a spring return back to auto. So to have them off you must physically turn them off each time you start the car when its dark.

Seems something which should be mandatory.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
I've got an issue with some of the LED lights, and the adaptive systems that light up around the corner, which is off topic. Sort of?
I like Mercedes, but I've noticed that their new cars' lights are too bright at times. My eyes are still good, and I don't like to stereotype here, but many owners of MB are elderly, with naturally deteriorated eyesight. So they probably don't realize they are dazzling oncoming drivers, while enjoying their super bright lights.. It's an issue with other brands as well.
I'm left thinking that can't be good for my eyes, that are dilated, then flashed with intense light. A bit like bloody High Beam drivers, who don't turn them off for oncoming traffic. Again off topic. But those fwits, have me thinking of hooking up Boeing 747 lights angled towards them. Just a quick flash might make them realize, they're being inconsiderate. ( could also have me up for manslaughter)
You say the drivers are too old to realize they are 'dazzeling' you. Or maybe there is nothing they can do about it. What do you expect them to do turn their headlights off every time a car is coming towards them?
It's not the drivers fault that new cars lights are brighter than old ones.

As for not dimming highbeam I bet most people just forget and are not trying to annoy you.
They are probably the same people who continue to drive with low beam on in kangaroo country because they 'forgot' to put the high beam back on after passing a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
My Commodore is default to permanently be on auto, when it gets dark they come on. You cannot accidentally leave them off as the off setting has a spring return back to auto. So to have them off you must physically turn them off each time you start the car when its dark.

Yeah the Chevy I hired in Miami had the same thing. Such a good idea.

The amount of people at dusk/dawn or in heavy rain/fog with no lights is unbelievable.
I bet most of them say to themselves "I don't need lights I can see where I am going"
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #28
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

saw 2 tonight in geelong, i actually blocked one and told him to turn on his lights. Yes it is always those stupid NEW cars with no lights on. They have their instument clusters lit all the time, so at night they think their lights are on and they are not.

I cant believe you can lose your licence for doing 25 over on a freeway and yet you get the lightest of penalty for having no lights. Should be lose your licence for 1 year. Absolute stupidity.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post

Looks like they built the commodore to cope with the target buyer audience then....
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #30
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I agree completely about idiots not using their lights dawn/dusk...
What really gets me are geniuses who insist on driving hard to spot (read; silver,grey,black vehicles) on rainy/foggy/overcast days? ....
What is it with these people?....how hard is it to find the lightswitch?....
I drive a truck and for some reason these knob jockeys seem to love cruising up the freeway and sitting in the spray where they become almost invisible?.....
It's gotten to the stage where at times you just put the blinker on and wait for the horn blast?....
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: