Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #61
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: People opening their doors on your car in carparks.

How much is a 20 cent sized door ding worth?

Put one in a Rolls Royce and it would probably cost $5000 but it shouldn't matter if you have a Rolls or a Holden.

To me with an unmarked car I wouldn't be happy with $500 but probably $1000 would make me whole again. Even at $1000 I'd still prefer not having to go through the exercise.

It has to be worth taking the culprit to court as the alternative is you pay for it or live with it, not an option.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #62
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
PDR is good address this.

Once I had a brand new F150 and I parked way out where no one was. When I came back there was a car parked ridiculously close to me. Sure as the world a big dent in my door.

Really, why would somebody do that?

coz theyre a##holes ....ive done the same parked a football park away and come back and heres some sh#@ter there ....thats why you park in the middle of two spaces , then the only one that can get you is a scooter that falls off its stand

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #63
HIPO
Al

Considering side-steps for the Territory, purely for this reason..... should help with sedans etc.
HIPO is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #64
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

There was a similar post on this subject last year, and below is what I posted....

When I do park my car, especially at shopping centres I have these rules I always follow;

Rule 1: - If possible always park at the end of the car park, and walk the extra distance.... Because a lot of car door dings and scrapes are caused by people navigating shopping trolleys between parked cars .... The closer you park (especially to a supermarket) then the more people are going to be passing your car with trolleys to get to their car...Parking at the very end of the car park, means no trolleys need to go past your car.

Rule 2: - If possible always park on the very left of a row of car parks (the first spot), because 90% of cars are driven by a driver without passengers, so there is much less chance of the car parked to your right, having the passenger door opened and hitting your car.

Rule 3: - Never park next to a "two door car" .... As the doors are longer on 2 door cars than 4 door cars, and there is greater chance their door will touch yours.

Rule 4: - You are better to drive into a car park than reverse into it... Because if someone backs into your car, it is better to have damage on the rear than the front... The radiator may be damaged and the car could be become undrivable more so than a hit from the rear. Less chance of being stranded and the cost of repair is usually less.

Rule 5: - Always fold in your wing mirrors when parked to give that little extra clearance.

Rule 6: - Don't park near or next to the "shopping trolley return bays" in car parks for obvious reasons.

Rule 7: - If you have to park between 2 cars , you are better, if possible to park between two small cars than two large cars, obviously their doors maybe shorter, and leave more space between the car park lines being narrower.

Rule 8: - Never park next to a "side door" loading van... Unloading these vehicles risks damage to your doors from boxes, hand trolleys, etc.

Rule 9: - Always try to find car spots with "2 point or more protection" ... i.e. Concrete kerb on one side and kerb, barrier or fence at the front so no one can park in front of you or on at least one side.

Rule 10: - If you are parking in a car spot with empty spots to the left and right of yours, always make sure you park "centred" between the lines, and not closer to one of the parking lines.

Rule 11: - If possible, it is better to park in a side street next to the shopping centre rather than in the carpark itself and walk the extra distance.

And yes .... With all the above self imposed rules of mine, I do find it hard sometimes to find a carpark at certain places.

But after 100,000Kms and 3 years of owning the XR6T.... I do not have a single shopping centre scratch or dent as yet (touch wood)
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #65
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
The worst dents are when the door gets to full pace and extension for maximum damage.

Never park next to a Van.
Maybe all cars should be made with a small strip of dense rubber on the edges of doors rather than bare metal. Theoretically people could then go for broke and not damage someone else's door.

The one from my original post was a 4wd. One of the ones where there's a 90 degree-ish point because the bottom side of the door is shaped like a wheel arch and then goes vertical up the side of the door.

That point on the corner of the door is what slammed into my car. Seems like a horrible design, even with the strength of a 7ish year old kid that's enough to dent any door.

Here's an example:

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #66
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
There was a similar post on this subject last year, and below is what I posted....

When I do park my car, especially at shopping centres I have these rules I always follow;

Rule 1: - If possible always park at the end of the car park, and walk the extra distance.... Because a lot of car door dings and scrapes are caused by people navigating shopping trolleys between parked cars .... The closer you park (especially to a supermarket) then the more people are going to be passing your car with trolleys to get to their car...Parking at the very end of the car park, means no trolleys need to go past your car.

Rule 2: - If possible always park on the very left of a row of car parks (the first spot), because 90% of cars are driven by a driver without passengers, so there is much less chance of the car parked to your right, having the passenger door opened and hitting your car.

Rule 3: - Never park next to a "two door car" .... As the doors are longer on 2 door cars than 4 door cars, and there is greater chance their door will touch yours.

Rule 4: - You are better to drive into a car park than reverse into it... Because if someone backs into your car, it is better to have damage on the rear than the front... The radiator may be damaged and the car could be become undrivable more so than a hit from the rear. Less chance of being stranded and the cost of repair is usually less.

Rule 5: - Always fold in your wing mirrors when parked to give that little extra clearance.

Rule 6: - Don't park near or next to the "shopping trolley return bays" in car parks for obvious reasons.

Rule 7: - If you have to park between 2 cars , you are better, if possible to park between two small cars than two large cars, obviously their doors maybe shorter, and leave more space between the car park lines being narrower.

Rule 8: - Never park next to a "side door" loading van... Unloading these vehicles risks damage to your doors from boxes, hand trolleys, etc.

Rule 9: - Always try to find car spots with "2 point or more protection" ... i.e. Concrete kerb on one side and kerb, barrier or fence at the front so no one can park in front of you or on at least one side.

Rule 10: - If you are parking in a car spot with empty spots to the left and right of yours, always make sure you park "centred" between the lines, and not closer to one of the parking lines.

Rule 11: - If possible, it is better to park in a side street next to the shopping centre rather than in the carpark itself and walk the extra distance.

And yes .... With all the above self imposed rules of mine, I do find it hard sometimes to find a carpark at certain places.

But after 100,000Kms and 3 years of owning the XR6T.... I do not have a single shopping centre scratch or dent as yet (touch wood)
I used rule #1 once many years ago whilst at Adventure World in Perth. It made it really easy for the thieves to park their car next to mine and block any view of what they were doing when they pulled the drivers lock out, stole all my stuff including kids xmas presents (we were travelling on holidays in a brand new car), stole CD stacker and dash head unit. Now I park where this can easily be seen by others not too far away.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #67
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
I used rule #1 once many years ago whilst at Adventure World in Perth. It made it really easy for the thieves to park their car next to mine and block any view of what they were doing when they pulled the drivers lock out, stole all my stuff including kids xmas presents (we were travelling on holidays in a brand new car), stole CD stacker and dash head unit. Now I park where this can easily be seen by others not too far away.
That's why I have an alarm installed, coupled with old fashion security... The good ole heavy duty club lock.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #68
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that rear door is like a van door with "That Point"

But 4WD's with sidestep are actually easier to get in/out but using the step without needing to fully open the door.

However I have kids.. to date they haven't doored anybody under my watch, its been close! but my Beer fridge in the garage has a nice dent from that "point"
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #69
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my runabout, but new, Mazda 2 borrowed by my wife to go to work on a Saturday, as she was leaving her Rav. It had child seats and i had the grandchildren to take with me.
She parked it in a street , away from the shopping centre she woks at, that had a no through road. Anyway some scumbag did a u turn , cleaned up three cars with deep dents in both my driver side doors. Cost me an excess but no one saw or cared and my wife thought she was dong the right thing. Go figure. there are some horrible human beings out there.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #70
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
Keep in mind though the at fault person is the one that opened the door or left it open in the first place. Do not confuse this with the owner or driver of the car or in case of like case in point, the at fault person is the child.

Most insurers will state if can can give the name and address of the at fault person an excess will not be payable.

However in this case if you only obtained the mothers details, you have not satisfied the above proviso, you would need the child's full name and address.

As far as weather or not your insurer can recover from the at fault person is a problem for them, not you if you have met what the PDS states you must meet.
This is an interesting point.
I didn't get the details of the mother or the child as I was happy enough with talking to the girl and letting it slide.

But! If I were to install a camera that recorded someone opening their door on to my car... and it recorded their rego in the footage... are you saying that I'd still then have to prove/identify who the person was? And if the footage didn't manage to capture it, that I couldn't find the owner of the car and claim it against them? That's a bit of a curve ball that I hadn't anticipated.

Say that I *did* manage to capture the person who opened the door on to my car AND the rego of the car but it turns out they're not the person who owns the car... how would I go about finding the connection between the owner of the car and the person who was driving it that day? Can they be forced to give up the name of the person in the footage who was driving their car?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #71
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
What is your general response to someone opening their door on your car and/or how do you avoid it happening in the first place?

Last weekend I parked in a populated car park where the bays were pretty narrow. As I got out, a little girl was about to get in to the car beside me and I could see what was about to happen so I stood there and watched. Sure enough, she opened her car door and slammed it open on the side of my car.

She was young.. about 7 ish so probably didn't really know better but it left a ding in my door. Her mother was on the other side of the car putting a baby in a car seat but she saw what happened.
I spoke to the girl for a couple of minutes and told her that it's not OK to open your car door on someone else's car door. Her mother didn't scream and shout at me so seemed ok with me gently telling off her daughter, so that's a plus I suppose.

I didn't really pursue it because my car is covered in dings and scratches anyway.. and then I realised... all of those dings and scratches are from other people in car parks.
Almost every panel has a dent or a scratch. There has to be something that can be done to avoid this, surely? What do you lot do when you don't catch people in the act? Is there some really obvious answer to this that I haven't realised?
Should be punishable by death, or at least public flogging

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #72
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No problems here - I car park proofed mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #73
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
That's why I have an alarm installed, coupled with old fashion security... The good ole heavy duty club lock.
Nup .......Rottweiler!

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #74
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Saw this on fbook this morning...

/ thread...

Old 15-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #75
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
Should be punishable by death, or at least public flogging
I think public flogging would be be good.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #76
glimmerman
Earnin' and Burnin'

I think people just need to teach their kids from a young age respect.
When my son (and it is bound to happen) opens the door on someone's car, he's getting a smack depending on how it happened, he's three at the moment and doesn't open the doors but if I am telling him in future be careful and he does that thing some kids do where they just fling the door open, he'll be getting told why it's naughty and he'll be coping one.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

SO FAR Genie Headers, 100cell Cat, 3" SS exhaust, Nizpro Valve springs, Powerbond Under Drive, Pod filter, 3 inch intake, big mouth intake, Iridium Spark plugs, Atomic VIPER manifold.
TO BE INSTALLED Raptor V 14psi, Frozen Boost W2A, 3,7's & LSD, Auto Rebuilt
GOAL: 270+rwkws

My BA MKII Raptor Supercharged build
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #77
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally i dont care who does it there paying one way or another if i catch them.
Old 15-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #78
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day ...I think the loader might have put a teeny tiny scratch on the car here.
Somehow I think the car driver won't be arguing the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ9HeJ-RDKI

OR This one...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLR5...U#t=160.057317 OUCH !!!!!!!

Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 15-08-2017 at 07:23 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #79
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Problem solved?

Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #80
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd challenge this one. Other than door dents, most damage is usually done as morons turn into a parking bay and sideswipe another car at slow speed .. usually the end closest to the entry of the bay (usually the rear of the parked car) and usually they contact the rear quarter panel. I've had this done to me three times ... never a note left.

Rear quarters aren't usually easily replaceable, so they get bashed out and bogged up. If I had my preference, I'd rather back in and they hit the front quarters.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #81
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day..Oh yeah...Here you go..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zq9d9B6O0I and look where it finished up
Bloody England https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZiDbjhUdtM .. Cheers Rod...
That one in England is a fake and a bad one at that. Real truck.. second one of the two used in the filming (two years later to make it a feature film) is still in the U.S.

Off topic.. this was Steven Speilbergs first ever film.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #82
glimmerman
Earnin' and Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
I'd challenge this one. Other than door dents, most damage is usually done as morons turn into a parking bay and sideswipe another car at slow speed .. usually the end closest to the entry of the bay (usually the rear of the parked car) and usually they contact the rear quarter panel. I've had this done to me three times ... never a note left.

Rear quarters aren't usually easily replaceable, so they get bashed out and bogged up. If I had my preference, I'd rather back in and they hit the front quarters.
And backing in is also less chance of side swiping someone car unless you are a complete numpty

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

SO FAR Genie Headers, 100cell Cat, 3" SS exhaust, Nizpro Valve springs, Powerbond Under Drive, Pod filter, 3 inch intake, big mouth intake, Iridium Spark plugs, Atomic VIPER manifold.
TO BE INSTALLED Raptor V 14psi, Frozen Boost W2A, 3,7's & LSD, Auto Rebuilt
GOAL: 270+rwkws

My BA MKII Raptor Supercharged build
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #83
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
If someone opens their doors on your car and does damage it is not claimable. Why???
You are 100% wrong!

Back on topic.
As a rule most car users do not car for their or anyone elses cars, it's just a mode of transport to get somewhere without walking. Kids today are not shown to be careful or show respect so they literally do not care.

Best thing to do it park away and walk.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #84
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

aluminium tray ute - does more damage to them than me.

I am sure I have had more than one old person hit my tray in a shopping center car park and saw one kid open their mums door onto it (once again more damage to their car - which was quite funny)

had one guy in a merc open his door and rest it against mine while he unloaded - unfortunately for him i was watching whilst talking on the phone. I doubt he will do it to any one again.
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #85
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happened to me today. Of around 100 free spaces in the car park closer to the entrance, look where this empty headed cretin chose to park next to my ute.

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #86
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Happened to me today. Of around 100 free spaces in the car park closer to the entrance, look where this empty headed cretin chose to park next to my ute.

I don't understand why people magnet park when there is loads of space. It's like they are drawn to your car and cannot control their doors when the magnetic force plows their door into your car.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2017, 11:35 PM   #87
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

Just a quiky, why didn't you park in the end space?
stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2017, 12:12 AM   #88
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

My wife's Mondeo copped this one today in our local supermarket carpark. No note on the windscreen or witnesses.

Dent removal guys are unable to get it out because it's in a really difficult area to get to.

My crash repairer quoted me $500 because of needing to repaint the entire quarter panel and roof section.

You can imagine how impressed I am right now.

Last edited by X-AHH; 17-12-2019 at 05:13 PM.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2017, 12:31 AM   #89
stock1991
Limited supply

never park next to a coupe, anything their doors are longer
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #90
Bayson
Banned

I had someone open their door on my car years ago.. i was sitting in my car at the time

I was having a really really bad day before this (child in hospital) and i wasnt in the mood for it.

I jumped out and the guy denied it. I pointed to the damage and the guy said "prove it"..... Righto...

Lets just say he was overwelmed

If he just admitted it and apologised i would have just let him go.

Last edited by Bayson; 09-09-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Bayson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post