Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 24-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Planned Outages

Good morning

We are in the process of migrating AFF to new server hardware which will be a two step process involving two outage windows.

The first of these will be from 01:30 Saturday March 26th until about 04:30 Saturday March 26th.

During this outage one of the hard disks will be removed from the current server and added to the new one for cloning purposes.

Note: During this period there is some risk to service continuity because removal of the drive necessitates breaking the current Hardware RAID and leaves us reliant on a single disk drive but it's an acceptable level of risk.

The second step will be scheduled at a later date after the cloning and testing of the new server has been completed but we are currently planning the second outage window for the period from 01:00 Monday March 28th until about 05:30 Monday March 28th.

During this outage the database on the new server will be updated to reflect changes made since the clone and the IP addresses swapped between the old and new servers so that DNS continues to work.

We've had more than 5 years use out of this kit so it's more than done what was expected of it and the new server will provide improved performance and greater resilience to failure.

Best regards
Russ

PS: There will now be a 3rd step as we have discovered that one of the hard drives in the current server has failed. There will also be an outage at 01:00 tomorrow (Friday) morning to replace that hard drive. This should take no more than 90 minutes allowing for a backup to be taken before that work commences.

During this outage window we will be replacing a failed hard disk in the server. There will be a degradation in system performance for approximately 12 hours after this is done as the RAID array rebuilds itself.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 24-03-2016 at 11:06 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: Planned Outages

Do you need any "testers" for the migration Russell?

I can break my PC with no ability whatsoever, so the AFF server shouldn't be a problem.

Can make myself available on both mornings if needed.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Thanks I probably will. At this stage UAT on the new server is scheduled for around 15:00 Saturday afternoon.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I will be online Russ. Hope it all goes well 😀

-------------------------------------------------

Just a 70's girl in a confusing world!
Old 25-03-2016, 04:30 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Good morning

The first phase is now completed successfully. The outage was about an hour longer than planned (01:00-03:25) and as previously noted there will be some slowing of server performance for the next 12 hours or so while the RAID array is rebuilt.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The second phase is now completed successfully.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Thanks to a classic piece of stupidity from me, we are probably going to have to delay the 3rd phase as I have rendered the new server unbootable. It is currently being rebuilt but that means all the work done today in terms of installing the 130 odd packages; copying the 50 Gb of data and massaging the configuration files has been lost and will have to be repeated.

I don't have much time available tomorrow so that work will probably have to be completed on Monday and the cutover deferred until later in the week after testing has been completed.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

So, I've managed to get back to almost the state we were in before my mistake yesterday and now the copy of our data will commence. There may be some small performance hit during the copy process.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post: