Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default American Driving - CB or UHF??

Anyone know if they use UHF radios (eg channel 40) on the roads in USA?
Or what they DO use??
Old am CB's still?

Going over soon for a road trip and was wondering if it was worth taking the hand held UHF radio to listen to truckies etc like I do here.

Thanks

Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I think the Yankees use 2 cups and a bit of string.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UHF CB as in 477Mhz is Australia and (I think) NZ only.

USA use the original 27Mhz system......that is where 10-4 good buddy came from....

Our UHF CB is illegal there
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
FgNewbie
Australia

Jastel pick up a cheap 27MHz radio and talk to the guys.

If you have a good Aussie accent, tell them you are in Ayres Rock with a foot warmer (linear amp) and a beam pointing at them.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Thanks - will leave it behind then

I could only find references to CB's on USA truck sites

FYI they are illegal in Japan as well, due to different Japanese mobile frequencies Aussie snowskiers were using them to contact each other and scrambling the local TV. There are signs in the ski areas now warning of large fines.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

On that note, as of January 1 2011 they are opening the new 80-channel UHF standard

Don't worry though, all our old UHF's will still work. Channels 1-40 stay the same. Channels 41-80 are using frequencies in between 1-40, so it goes like 1, 41, 2, 42, 3, 43, 4 etc. But on a 80ch radio it will be programmed 1,2,3,4 etc of course.

I've got an awesome handheld that has tx/rx on 40ch and then programmable rx as well, next year i'm going to be inputting the 41-80ch freq's just to see that no-one uses them. Because no-one will have 80ch radios for donkeys i'm betting.

Read more here
Old 27-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
On that note, as of January 1 2011 they are opening the new 80-channel UHF standard

Don't worry though, all our old UHF's will still work. Channels 1-40 stay the same. Channels 41-80 are using frequencies in between 1-40, so it goes like 1, 41, 2, 42, 3, 43, 4 etc. But on a 80ch radio it will be programmed 1,2,3,4 etc of course.

I've got an awesome handheld that has tx/rx on 40ch and then programmable rx as well, next year i'm going to be inputting the 41-80ch freq's just to see that no-one uses them. Because no-one will have 80ch radios for donkeys i'm betting.

Read more here
Now this really appeals to my sense of humour.

The only real reason to increase the number of channels would be that the current channels are congested.
As UHF is very short range the only way that could happen is if there is a concentration of users in a local area such as a city or a 4WD attraction such as Fraser Island etc.

The solution?

Reduce the channel separation from 25khz to 12.5khz so interference is increased significantly especially from older "wide" transmitters and of course the 25, 50 and 100 watt ex-commercial units commonly found in enthusiasts' vehicles.

Yep, ACMA does it again.......
Old 27-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Read more here

I have a Uniden UHF CB and one of the selling points was it was reprogramable to the future freqencies, I guess that means I have to get it done now...

On international CB radio frequencies, just about every country has strong laws for brining in other CB radios (eg Australian). Australia is the same too, this is due to frequencies being allocated to different uses in different countries.
Old 27-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
FgNewbie
Australia

80!? wow.

Interesting to note they have allocated another 8 repeater channels.

I sold most of my radio gear many years ago when 27meg was full of school kids, UHF repeater inputs were being jammed and crane controllers abused anyone else using "their" channel. I have very little gear left and my house doesn't look like a porcupine any more.

flappist with incredible ducting, good linear and aerial, and a lot of luck, I did Syd to Tas on UHF back in 199?. He even sent me a QSL card which cracked up my friends.

Part of my UHF gear included a radio with CTCSS in the car hooked up to the output of the alarm. When the alarm triggered it called my other radios inc a handheld. Best alarm system I ever had.

Memories
Old 30-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

US - 27Mhz CB brand name suppliers. (see also Ebay).

Ranger
http://rangerusa.com/

Cobra
https://cobra.com/category/cb-radios.cfm

President
http://www.president-electronics.com...?code_lg=lg_us

Galaxy
http://galaxyradios.com/

Midland
http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ

A feature on some is the tornado warning system - NOAA.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 30-11-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
FgNewbie
Australia

How could you forget Cobra
https://cobra.com/category/cb-radios.cfm

edit: if/when I can find it, I've got a 138XLR-A with COT, handset, switchable / removable digiscan, plus more. Probably 30 yrs old.
Old 30-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

TRUE - so Fixed it FG:-) Its enough to make me go back to 27Mhz:-)

I'll just make sure its an 'international version' that has FM 26/27Mhz mode too...

I notice some of those US/international models have Bluetooth incorporated!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #13
FgNewbie
Australia

Keepleft way back Lee Andrews sold a radio 26 - 30MHz VFO (no channels as such) AM-FM-USB. I can't remember the brand, I used it in the boat for years.

edit: found it, Belcom LS102L had CW as well

any way I'll shuddup and crawl back into my memory well

Last edited by FgNewbie; 30-11-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 30-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #14
fmc351
let it burn

Ive still got two PS super cheetah Mk 111's. I havent used them in years, come to think about it, maybe they're super lions, not cheetahs.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
FgNewbie
Australia

A blast from the past.
In 1992 I still had a C64 and just a few radios
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1992.jpg (21.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 30-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
MexicanBatman
Banned

You know what's funny, I just got a radio license from casa and I have no idea what this thread is about LOL

I just use the radio :| but we use VHF
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
You know what's funny, I just got a radio license from casa and I have no idea what this thread is about LOL

I just use the radio :| but we use VHF
Well in actual fact you use MF, HF, VHF & UHF.

MF for the ADF, HF for the long distance stuff, VHF for area, centre, FIS and tower etc. as well as VOR and UHF for ELT and DME.
Old 30-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool CB Radios

I also have a full call ham licence
and back in 97 the Mrs and I went to the UK
well I took a two metre hand held with me
and the Brisbane repeater 145900 was the police call channel
was funny hearing PnC check please or IC one just like watching the bill
I wasnt game to answer them
but I did contact other hams via the repeater but to activate it you needed a 1750 Hz tone which Ozzie hand helds didnt have so I just whistled it up
to open up the repeater
when I gave my VK4 call sign I got a lot of replies
also if anyone can remember the 1970s
27Mgz (11 metres) was a ham band and when it was given over to the CB users @$20 a licence 3 times the price of a ham licence
then all of a sudden we went to 18 channels down from 23 channels and we had sub channels and odd ones too
it didnt worry me I had a Kenwood 520 with 100 watts AM and 300watts sideband that scared a few people
anyway enough reminiscing
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Now this really appeals to my sense of humour.

The only real reason to increase the number of channels would be that the current channels are congested.
As UHF is very short range the only way that could happen is if there is a concentration of users in a local area such as a city or a 4WD attraction such as Fraser Island etc.

The solution?

Reduce the channel separation from 25khz to 12.5khz so interference is increased significantly especially from older "wide" transmitters and of course the 25, 50 and 100 watt ex-commercial units commonly found in enthusiasts' vehicles.

Yep, ACMA does it again.......
...so I can dust off the old PRM8030?

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
A blast from the past.
In 1992 I still had a C64 and just a few radios
WOW...are those Sawtrons?

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #21
FgNewbie
Australia

Good pick, Sawtron 999 with police mod and linears sitting on top of each. I had 4 of them plus a couple of 990. Also had FM320, TX475 and another GME I forget, and a TAIT. The TX475 was predominately used for my car alarm later replaced with a programmable UHF/VHF Icom.

Next to the bottom 999 is either a Kenwood TS-940s or TS-950 or Icom R-72, I had them all but don't remember what's in the pic. Looks like an AOR2002 sitting there too. I've still got 2 of them, they make good alarm clocks. I still use the Yaesu FP-707 PS too.

Under the dustcover is an Epson printer for the C64.

For the life of me I can't remember everything in the pic. I see an HF linear and VHF Seaphone. There were more radios mounted under the desk and stacked in the cupboard.

Needless to say, my place looked like a porcupine (with aerials) inc a longwire for an HF Codan / RFDS.

I've still got Garfield. (He is on top of the stack next to the tv in the pic).

Did anyone else have binary switching in the 70s for extra channels?
Hope the op doesn't mind
Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #22
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

fgnewbie and lastfairlane, as someone who's only just got his first programmable rx radio, i am in awe of you two.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #23
FgNewbie
Australia

Mr Hardware, enjoy your new toy.
Possibly my first programmable rx radio (scanner) looked more like a set of scales.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
platinumXR

Quote:
Good pick, Sawtron 999 with police mod and linears sitting on top of each. I had 4 of them plus a couple of 990. Also had FM320, TX475 and another GME I forget, and a TAIT. The TX475 was predominately used for my car alarm later replaced with a programmable UHF/VHF Icom.

Next to the bottom 999 is either a Kenwood TS-940s or TS-950 or Icom R-72, I had them all but don't remember what's in the pic. Looks like an AOR2002 sitting there too. I've still got 2 of them, they make good alarm clocks. I still use the Yaesu FP-707 PS too.

Under the dustcover is an Epson printer for the C64.

For the life of me I can't remember everything in the pic. I see an HF linear and VHF Seaphone. There were more radios mounted under the desk and stacked in the cupboard.

Needless to say, my place looked like a porcupine (with aerials) inc a longwire for an HF Codan / RFDS.

I've still got Garfield. (He is on top of the stack next to the tv in the pic).

Did anyone else have binary switching in the 70s for extra channels?
Hope the op doesn't mind

Yeah sorry...back on track in a sec. Yeah did the old toggle switch mod LOL.

But a 999 sure beat an old 828 or FM91/93. Even tried the KG108 which was a good box. Until Tait T2020's came along that is.

But sorry OP...back on track...

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #25
FgNewbie
Australia

platinumXR, I miss the 2020. FM900 mounted in a Ford made me feel like a Taxi.

Toggles.. 4 up 4 down 1 left 1 right.. mmm think I'm out by a channel
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #26
platinumXR

Quote:
platinumXR, I miss the 2020. FM900 mounted in a Ford made me feel like a Taxi.

Toggles.. 4 up 4 down 1 left 1 right.. mmm think I'm out by a channel

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 22-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #27
ModchipMan
Starter Motor

Default Re: American Driving - CB or UHF??

Hay would any one of you guys have a reapeter mod for the old FM320, been looking on the net with no luck..
Cheers big ears
QBE689,CT531, Midnight Mover and unseen green bean..
ModchipMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #28
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
UHF CB as in 477Mhz is Australia and (I think) NZ only.

USA use the original 27Mhz system......that is where 10-4 good buddy came from....

Our UHF CB is illegal there
Illegal to use a UHF radio but legal in numerous states over there to carry a gun ..Only in America
Yep CB is this over 40 channels ...If you scroll down here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_rad..._United_States you'll find the frequencies list .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 01:52 AM   #29
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Illegal to use a UHF radio but legal in numerous states over there to carry a gun ..Only in America
Yep CB is this over 40 channels ...If you scroll down here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_rad..._United_States you'll find the frequencies list .
And the states where it isn’t legal have higher crime rates than those where it is legal. But yes, the FCC has a lot of silly regulations. Could free up more bandwidth by getting rid of over-the-Air TV transmission completely.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #30
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Australia is no different, there are only 80 free to use UHF channels available for the public to use without needing to buy a licence, the 27mhz CB channels are the American equivalent of our UHF, except the Americans never felt the need for a whole new radio system like the 477mhz we adopted in Australia.

And yes, if you are caught transmitting without the appropriate licence or the permission of the licence holder, you WILL get fined, and IIRC whoever programmed your radio to be able to transmit on that frequency gets a fine too.