Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
dohzer
Starter Motor

Default Ford Focus LX LS (2006) - High Revs at Car Start Up

To keep things brief:
1. I had problems starting the car; sometimes it would sound 'weak'. I suspected battery or alternator.
2. The car wouldn't start after approximately a week of non-use.
3. I took car in for service, they replaced the battery but I was always sceptical about whether they serviced the car since the first time I went to pick it up, they hadn't actually serviced it so I had to leave it there for another day.

4. When I got the car back I noticed it was revving up to ~3k RPM at start up which I remember sounding higher than normal.
5. Slowly it got worse to the point it was revving at ~4k RPM at start up.
6. The other day (after a week of short-trip use) I went for an hour long drive, and when I would set the cruise control at 60km/h, the car would slowly keep accelerating above the set point with zero pressure on the accelerator.
7. Finally the "Engine Systems Fault" light came on after about an hour of driving, and it started struggling and 'sputtering' a bit.

Any idea what would cause:
a. High revving at car start up (before it settles down to idle).
b. The accelerator to push past the cruise control set point?

Does this align with a standard problem/fault?
dohzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Focus LX LS (2006) - High Revs at Car Start Up

Hi our focus did that and couldn't work out why turns out there is a vacuum hose behind the inlet manifold that split that could be your cause.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
dohzer
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Hi our focus did that and couldn't work out why turns out there is a vacuum hose behind the inlet manifold that split that could be your cause.
Thanks for the advice.
It sounds like that's exactly what it was (or potentially another hose). Maybe it's a common fault?
dohzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Common problem. https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11445733
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post