Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default 06-07 Holden Viva?!

A work colleague of mine has seen a 2006 (not sure of exact build date) with almost 0km's, with no previous owner. She loves the look of it, and its a "pretty colour" hence she has asked me what its actually like, and what are the known issues.

My only knowledge of it is its a Daewoo, and its the up-spec'd Barina. And the only review I found on it said it was completely average!

Can anyone give me a "what's good" and "what's not" about that model please, and any other helpful info including known issues?

Much appreciated!

Mr Brooksy

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

https://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xc...iva_1000km.htm
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 friends have bought them and both regret the purchase. One has traded theirs in at 12 months on a Holden Cruze. Fuel Economy is poor and build quality is terrible is what both said of their Vivas.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Thanks for the info so far!

As far as I can see, they were average at best in 2006!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
XXXR
Too Blue

Default Don't

It's pure-daewoo crap; they've got like a 2-3 star safety rating from memory. At least the Captiva and Cruze had Australian design and engineering input. Tell'a to spend a bit extra and just get something decent like a 2005-08 Fiesta.
XXXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

The Camira of the 00's
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Very poor, Definitely avoid, one of the worst cars to ever wear a Holden badge. She would be better off in a mid-nineties Corolla. From what iv'e heard from people I know that have had the displeasure to drive them, they are thirsty, poorly built and not all that comfy on a trip. The ride is meant to be pretty poor too. Add to that the poor crash safety, I would steer clear.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
RIPGMH2009
Starter Motor

good enough as a cheap run about for the young ladys but dont expect a great deal more then that from it average car at a low price you get what you pay for very little engine is weak poor really transmission is slow sluggish and confused suspension is softer then a backmarkers wallet hahahahaha
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a part time school job at Holden as a groomer when these came out in 05, and the out going Astra 'Classic' it replaced was years ahead in every way, even though they were launched in 1998. I think these Vivas are a face lifted Daewoo Lanos from the 1990s, well they have a strong resemblance anyway, bloody horrible things.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Thanks for all that guys, your thoughts line up with what I have read too!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 13-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
I think these Vivas are a face lifted Daewoo Lanos from the 1990s, well they have a strong resemblance anyway.
It was actually a rebadged Daewoo Lacetti/Nubira (it was sold here as a Daewoo along with the original Kalos before they pulled out of our market). It was still a piece of junk
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Thanks for all that guys, your thoughts line up with what I have read too!
Yep, plenty of evidence out there. The viva is a dog. Try an LR focus....even one a bit older (they were sold here since 2002-2005) is still a much much better car. Way safer, much better build/drive etc. And girls seem to love em...my sister just bought one and she says its a 'cute' looking car.....supposedly LOL!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
2 friends have bought them and both regret the purchase. One has traded theirs in at 12 months on a Holden Cruze. Fuel Economy is poor and build quality is terrible is what both said of their Vivas.
So one traded a Daewoo/Holden in for another Daewoo/Holden? I would have thought they'd learnt their lesson already. What will they buy in another year or 2 when they realise the Cruze isn't too good either?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Theres a reason why theres still a 2006 plate car with no kms on it.. They arent a good car...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Chilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
It was actually a rebadged Daewoo Lacetti/Nubira (it was sold here as a Daewoo along with the original Kalos before they pulled out of our market). It was still a piece of junk
I bought a Lacetti 'Limited Edition' in 2004. It has all the tricks, leather, front & side airbags, alloys x 5, 6 stacker CD, ZF auto G/box, climate control air, cooler in the glovebox, plus lots of other niceties. The car has never put a foot wrong.
One claim under warranty...to bleed the brakes. How many other brands can say that? I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Chilla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilla
I bought a Lacetti 'Limited Edition' in 2004. It has all the tricks, leather, front & side airbags, alloys x 5, 6 stacker CD, ZF auto G/box, climate control air, cooler in the glovebox, plus lots of other niceties. The car has never put a foot wrong.
One claim under warranty...to bleed the brakes. How many other brands can say that? I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
These cars are kinda back to front compared to better cars, they make lots of bad ones, but the odd good one made it out , instead of the odd lemon with other brands lol!