Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
hendosrus

Default Fiesta 1.6 timing belt question

Hi all,

My wife has the car above and it's currently sitting on 110,000km travelled.

I've read that any time now it's likely that the timing belt will need 'doing' which is likely to be expensive, and a mate says we should move it on now before this work is done.

I'm not a mechanic by any means and don't understand what's involved. Can anyone explain what will need 'doing' with the timing belt and how much it's likely to cost.

If we don't get it done, what could happen in terms of damage, or does the engine just stop working or what?

Any information you can offer is much appreciated

Last edited by hendosrus; 28-12-2014 at 07:19 PM.
hendosrus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Fiesta 1.6 timing belt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendosrus View Post
If we don't get it done, what could happen in terms of damage, or does the engine just stop working or what?

Any information you can offer is much appreciated
If its an interferance design, if the timing belt snaps the valves might hit the pistons and total the engine.

Its a pain in the *** job on any car, don't expect any change out of $1000 and it may cost more.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Pursya

Do the belt.
Non negotiable.
Not worth the risk.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
dirty hands
Over Thinker

timing belt is now overdue for replacement

timing belts explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd5y9teII9E

what year is is the car ?

do you need a write up on how to do a timing belt on a 1.6 fiesta engine ?

the front of the motor has to be stripped down inside the engine bay
Old 28-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
hendosrus

Thanks guys for your helpful replies.

Now that I've seen the video, I certainly understand more than I did about what's going on.

Now I have to decide whether to quickly move it on or get the work done and keep it a while longer.

All he best guys
Old 28-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Pursya

If you like the car. If you think you will keep it for another 100K, then the belt is worth doing.
That's your decision to make.
Old 30-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not that expensive!

$500-900 depending on who you use.

throw up a location and we can give you some options.

That sort of dough to get a few more trouble free years is chicken feed.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Timing belt doesn't need doing until 150000km. So I wouldn't worry if I was you.
Mine isn't far off though.
Old 31-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
dirty hands
Over Thinker

we should have asked do you know if it has ever been replaced

next you should get it inspected by taking off the top plastic covers
just to check its condition

I always change a 1.6 or 2 ltr at the 100,000 km-
or when i buy a car second hand
for piece of mind
Old 31-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
hendosrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Its not that expensive!

$500-900 depending on who you use.

throw up a location and we can give you some options.

That sort of dough to get a few more trouble free years is chicken feed.
Hi Kevino,

I totally agree mate, for that sort of dough I wouldn't be worried. But those are not the sort of figures I've heard of unfortunately. A mechanic mate guessed at about $3.5k.

I'm in Perth, so if you are able to pass a name that won't bankrupt me, I'd be uber grateful

Cheers buddy,
Old 31-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
hendosrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42 View Post
Timing belt doesn't need doing until 150000km. So I wouldn't worry if I was you.
Mine isn't far off though.
Hey Kiwijohn,

thanks for responding. My Mrs, whose car it is, is a Kiwi too!

Now, is the 150k taken from the manual or is it your opinion based on your own experience?

I'm not a mechanic in any way, so I need to know I can rely on the info I'm given, if that makes sense.

Cheers buddy,
Old 31-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
hendosrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty hands View Post
we should have asked do you know if it has ever been replaced

next you should get it inspected by taking off the top plastic covers
just to check its condition

I always change a 1.6 or 2 ltr at the 100,000 km-
or when i buy a car second hand
for piece of mind
Hey dh,

thanks for the reply. I would be very surprised if it's been done as we've had it from about 50k or thereabouts.

I take your point about doing them as a matter of course at 100k.

However, you're probably more able in the mechanical DIY zone than me, or your service depots over there are much cheaper than ours in Perth - or both ;)
Old 31-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
dirty hands
Over Thinker

I DIY mostly
never use a genuine service shop

but sometimes I have had to shop around for a price on work I just cant do

I use and seek out cheaper hourly rate mechanics - with low overheads - sweat sheds
sometimes Kmart auto or even independent mobile mechanics

Last edited by dirty hands; 31-12-2014 at 08:55 PM.
dirty hands is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #14
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the Handbook for the WP (2005) Fiesta the camshaft drive belt Every 150,000km or 10 Years.
Had our Probe (RIP) camshaft belts changed at local Ultratune for approx A$1,100.00 3 years ago, including major service. Suspect there is a bit less work involved with the Fiesta.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
hendosrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842 View Post
From the Handbook for the WP (2005) Fiesta the camshaft drive belt Every 150,000km or 10 Years.
Had our Probe (RIP) camshaft belts changed at local Ultratune for approx A$1,100.00 3 years ago, including major service. Suspect there is a bit less work involved with the Fiesta.
Thanks matey,

that's thrown some more light on it. It's a WQ model from 2006, and I've located the service handbook which shows the Camshaft Drive Belt, which I'm guessing is what we've been calling the Timing Belt, needs to be changed at 150,000kms or after 10 years - whichever comes first.

So either way, it looks like I have a bit more time to play with than I first thought.

But I will have a hunt round and see if I can find a reasonably priced outlet to get it done through.

Thanks for your helpful reply DRU842, and to all the others who have taken time to help me. Very much appreciated

Cheers,

Paul
Old 02-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

My wife has the same car (WQ). I do all our mechanical work and repairs, but the Fiesta 1.6 timing belt replacement is something I'd never attempt - it is the ultimate pain in the butt job to tackle yourself.

Firstly, the accessory drive belt needs to be removed, and this belt is a stretch belt, which has no tensioner. It must be cut off and disposed, and then a new one fitted, and special tool is required to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRkzBqM4uPU
This alone takes time.

Then, as dirty_hands said, the front of the engine needs to be stripped down in the engine bay - in this case, removal of the water pump, timing belt covers etc. Because the driver's side of the Fiesta's engine bay is so cramped, often things like the alternator, coolant tank, power steering reservoir, drivers side engine mount etc. also need to be removed to help with access.

The timing then needs to be set with a set of timing tools and the timing belt needs to be installed (camshaft alignment bar and TDC locating pin), just like the 2.0L Duratec Focus engine.

Then refitting of all the above.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #17
puppy
Starter Motor

I just bought a 2008 Fiesta with 66ks on the clock. It had a new timing belt fitted at 60k. Some people really get ripped off! I'm just glad it wasn't me. The sticker on the engine says to replace the belt again at 120k. So that's two belts before the first one is due for a change!

Should I keep the car long enough for the next timing belt change, I'm up to the challenge. No Ford dealer is going to screw me over. Recently my son and I did the timing belt on his Holden Rodeo ute. Not easy, but I have the tools to make it possible and we enjoyed the day. When it comes to the Fiesta I'll make sure I have the tools to do it too.

Rule 1 through 50 before you commence a job make sure you have the right tools. You can often find needed tools on eBay for little money or refer to your Haynes Manual for substitutes. Be prepared to improvise. Often you can make the tools you need using common materials in your garage using a little ingenuity.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. What's the worst that can happen?
puppy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
Pursya

Re the 60k timing belt replacement.
This is a normal interval for most smal engines.
I was very surprised with the Ford interval. Happy, but surprised.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #19
puppy
Starter Motor

The Haynes manual for Fiesta (2002 - 2008) suggests the timing belt should be changed at 50,000 miles (80,000km) or 5 years whichever comes first, especially on cars subjected to a lot of start stop driving or short journeys. The manual suggests that this interval be observed rather than 150,000km/10 years.

So given that information, the previous owner of my Fiesta did the right thing and had the belt replaced after 5 years. Haynes says the interval is very much up to the owner. As Dirty Harry would say "Are you feeling lucky, punk?"
Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #20
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy View Post
I just bought a 2008 Fiesta with 66ks on the clock. It had a new timing belt fitted at 60k. Some people really get ripped off! I'm just glad it wasn't me. The sticker on the engine says to replace the belt again at 120k. So that's two belts before the first one is due for a change!

Should I keep the car long enough for the next timing belt change, I'm up to the challenge. No Ford dealer is going to screw me over. Recently my son and I did the timing belt on his Holden Rodeo ute. Not easy, but I have the tools to make it possible and we enjoyed the day. When it comes to the Fiesta I'll make sure I have the tools to do it too.

Rule 1 through 50 before you commence a job make sure you have the right tools. You can often find needed tools on eBay for little money or refer to your Haynes Manual for substitutes. Be prepared to improvise. Often you can make the tools you need using common materials in your garage using a little ingenuity.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. What's the worst that can happen?
Agreed, some people really get ripped off.

As for what's the worst that can happen? This engine is an interference engine, with a non-keyway crankshaft, making it easier to stuff the timing, and then you have to reset, which would be a bad day at the office.

What's the best that can happen? You'll have a rewarding day and save yourself a bucket load on labour costs.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #21
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi Kevino,

I totally agree mate, for that sort of dough I wouldn't be worried. But those are not the sort of figures I've heard of unfortunately. A mechanic mate guessed at about $3.5k.

I'm in Perth, so if you are able to pass a name that won't bankrupt me, I'd be uber grateful

Cheers buddy,
$3500???? Mine cost $750 including a new water pump.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #22
puppy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
As for what's the worst that can happen? This engine is an interference engine, with a non-keyway crankshaft, making it easier to stuff the timing, and then you have to reset, which would be a bad day at the office.
Resetting the timing doesn't sound like much fun. To avoid that on the Rodeo, I watched all the YouTube videos I could find, read the workshop manual until I knew it by heart and paid particular attention to the fitting instructions provided with the Gates belt. Those instructions were very good and saved the day. Despite marking everything carefully before removal I still got mixed up. These days I take plenty of photos with my mobile phone every step of the way so I can refer to them when refitting. Doesn't cost anything to take good photos and they are instantly available.

It's a very nice feeling when the job is done and you turn the key and the engine fires up first go. To make sure of that you take your time and check and recheck.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #23
Pursya

3.5K?
Nah, nope never.
$1000 - $1200, and that includes a ful service. And I mean FULL.
Old 13-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #24
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the way, here is an example of the tool needed to fit the accessory drive belts, an how to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlhOSXmOW4I
(Looks like they actually use a Fiesta Engine in the video)
And no, I don't work for Kincrome!
Old 21-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #25
Bowser22

Ahh, I was under the impression that the engine had to be removed from underneath the car for the timing belt change. I wonder if it's work replacing the clutch if it's had a hard life (I believe mine has) at the same time.
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 01:07 AM   #26
kidoy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Hi Kevino,

Cheers buddy,

My '05 Fiesta had a squeaking water pump and I had it done for $800 in Automasters Forrestfield. Timing belt was also included. I called around (Kmart, Ford) and it was the best price I can get.
kidoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post