Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default WQ Fiesta A/C Compressor issue

Hi everyone,

We bought a WQ last year in the winter and obviously didn't test the A/C properly because while it works fine (so far), the compressor is very noisy. Sounds like a dull rattle or really dry loose bearing, something like that to give you an idea. The noise only occurs when the compressor clutch kicks in - so completely silent running otherwise.

So,
a) Has anyone had or known of this issue before?
b) Do you think it may only require the clutch assembly to be replaced? I've found on eBay that you can buy the clutch assembly alone from the USA for about $120 incl postage.
c) On eBay it's possible to buy 2nd hand complete compressors for about the $175 mark + postage.

Now I think with option b, if that was the issue and I replaced only the clutch assembly then I wouldn't need a full re-gas? However if the whole compressor (option c) is replaced then obviously a re-gas will be required.

If I do have to buy a 2nd hand compressor - are there any issues with putting it straight in? Will new seals be required? Do the internals have any issues if it's been exposed to air (I only ask because pictures of new ones have plugs, which the 2nd hand ones do not).

Thanks!

Old 28-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Default Re: WQ Fiesta A/C Compressor issue

Most if not all the WQ's had a niggle with the air conditioning, most prevalent in the XR4's but it was due to Ford not filling them up with enough gas, but you may have an issue, but it could also be because it hasn't been used for a while!
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Hi everyone,

We bought a WQ last year in the winter and obviously didn't test the A/C properly because while it works fine (so far), the compressor is very noisy. Sounds like a dull rattle or really dry loose bearing, something like that to give you an idea. The noise only occurs when the compressor clutch kicks in - so completely silent running otherwise.

So,
a) Has anyone had or known of this issue before?
b) Do you think it may only require the clutch assembly to be replaced? I've found on eBay that you can buy the clutch assembly alone from the USA for about $120 incl postage.
c) On eBay it's possible to buy 2nd hand complete compressors for about the $175 mark + postage.

Now I think with option b, if that was the issue and I replaced only the clutch assembly then I wouldn't need a full re-gas? However if the whole compressor (option c) is replaced then obviously a re-gas will be required.

If I do have to buy a 2nd hand compressor - are there any issues with putting it straight in? Will new seals be required? Do the internals have any issues if it's been exposed to air (I only ask because pictures of new ones have plugs, which the 2nd hand ones do not).

Thanks!
If you put in another compressor you will need to have someone licenced for A/C work put in the right type and amount of oil, most likely want to replace the reciever drier as well as its like a filter and moisture trap for the A/C system and vacuum down the system and regas it.

I wouldn't buy a second hand compressor, if anything buy new, Ashdown Ingrams is an auto electrical store which does A/C stuff.

Most auto electrical shops are licensed to do A/C work, I'd take the car there and see what they think.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Cheers guys. Didn't know anyone replied!

Yeah a gas refill would be a cheap solution, but a waste of time and $$ if it isn't the issue.

Alright, new compressor sounds the way to go rather than 2nd if it comes to that.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I've been thinking more about this lately whilst in the midst of an Alice Springs summer and I've noticed that once the compressor clicks on - it doesn't click off and disengage the clutch like it should periodically. The temperature coming from the vents just doesn't seem cool enough compared to other cars and the only way to disengage the compressor clutch is to physically switch the A/C off via the dash button.

The reason I'm now posting is that I've inadvertently read that another person was having the same issue with the clutch staying on and it came down to low gas and subsequent low pressures the compressor was trying to build up. He had the gas topped up and problem solved.

So I'm thinking that maybe Twinpiston was on to something? It might not stop the noise, but it could stop the fact the compressor remains on for as long as the A/C dash button is activated and the vent temperature is poor.