Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Default dropping/fluctuating idle, almost stalling WS

Hi Guys,

my mrs has a WS fiesta zetec, and has been telling me her car has been idling wierd on and off....

Basically, its when she's at the lights just sitting with foot engaging the clutch.

It idles fine, then too low, then fine again, almost stalling.

It didn't happen on the way home from her work, but it did all the way to work.

Any ideas, or suggestions?

Oh, it's a 5speed manual obviously

It's only done 30,000kms or so...and it well looked after.

No mods yet.
Samtheband is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: dropping/fluctuating idle, almost stalling WS

Not the air con engaging and turning off?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Nah.I don't think so, it's more rough than that.

No mods yet.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Mine occasionally drops revs at idle, but seems to only happen when the engine is running hot (has been worked a little too hard ... hehe ...). Nothing concerning though.

It certainly doesn't drop nearly enough to get to stall point.

Not sure what the cause would be?
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does it still do it if she takes her foot entirely off the clutch and leaves it in neutral while waiting at lights?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
paulo7

hi,
an old car of mine did this and the mechanic found a faulty sensor in the intake system. I think it was the oxygen sensor in the throttle body or just near it.
You'll probably have to get it checked out...
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

UPDATE:

So this is now happening again. The engine light came on, and it threw up the 'camshaft position sensor' fault code.

The dealership 'couldn't replicate fault' of the rough rough idle, sounds like a chug chug chug kind of sound.....

would it be a faulty sensor? Any other ideas? I want this solved, and am sick of dealers sitting on their hands....

Any help would be great lads.

Ta,

Sam

No mods yet.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

What fuel are you running it on ?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Ford released a PCM update for the Fez that was supposedly for a similar chugging when cold but yours sounds much worse than a computer glitch. How long has it been doing it for? Could just be a real dodgy tank of fuel or indeed faulty sensors. If you saw the error appear on the dash then the error logs and the Ford service department can recover the data, apparently. It's worrying if they can't.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

It's always on bp ultimate. It isn't bad fuel, and they rekon they can't fault it.....even with the error codes. It's gotta be a dodgy sensor I rekon. It's been doing it on and off since she's had it but never this bad.

No mods yet.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Would replacing the camshaft position sensor cost much? Tempted to just get it replaced somewhere else if they won't listen to me.

No mods yet.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Not sure on the cost of the replacement sensor but the labour shouldn't amount to much providing it's not buried and they don't have to remove too many other things to get to it, it sounds like a relatively easy procedure which you could do yourself once you find where it is. Here's a couple of links to give you an idea of how to DIY, the only thing it will need is to have any current errors cleared

If it was showing that an error had been logged when you took it to the dealer then I would be tempted to contact Ford H.O. via phone and explain the situation to them, especially with it being a potentially life threatening issue should it stall when trying to merge into traffic or pull out from an intersection, from what I have read on the net regarding these sensors it's unusual for them to malfunction like this but not unheard of and if it completely carks it you'll be left stranded for sure :(

http://www.ehow.com/way_5448202_cams...rocedures.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6234278_repl...on-sensor.html

Last edited by Russ; 03-12-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

yeah thanks for that Russ. I have been doing some reading regarding replacing the sensor myself. But I will let them try and 'fault it' on monday, and if no result I will be calling Ford head office for a resolution.

No mods yet.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtheband
yeah thanks for that Russ. I have been doing some reading regarding replacing the sensor myself. But I will let them try and 'fault it' on monday, and if no result I will be calling Ford head office for a resolution.
No worries mate, best of luck with it
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

also check your coil pack. My 2003 focus is doing the same thing but mine actually stalls. had a mate of mine who had same issue as you and once replaced the coil pack issue was gone. im replacing my coil pack this weekend.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

yeah they are replacing the camshaft position sensor. (that was one of the fault codes that came up)...

The other code was 'crank angle sensor'.

Can anyone explain what the difference is?

They both effect the idle yeah? I figure if we replace one, then if it's not fixed, the other one will be to blame?

What does the coil pack have to do with idle? I don't know much about coil packs at all.

Thanks.

No mods yet.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I could find on Google

A cam sensor tells the computer when number one compression stroke is happening, the crank sensor tell the computer when to fire the sparkplugs.

A faulty coil pack can cause rough idle among other things, I would suggest that if after replacing the sensor / sensors if the problem remains it would probably be worth checking
Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

yeah cool. My bet is on the cam position sensor. But we'll see. They haven't been able to replicate the problem since having the car, only the engine light..... (but that was on when I brought it there)

No mods yet.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

UPDATE:

So they have replaced the 'crank angle sensor', so time will tell if that fixes the problem. I have my SCT Xcal3, so if another code comes up, i'll be able to at least see it before Ford does.

My bet is, it was the camshaft position sensor, but if I'm wrong I'm happy to retract that statement.

Fingers crossed.

No mods yet.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Fiestaman

Had an idling hiccup on my WT. Has done it twice so far but dealer could find no fault. When idling revs go from 800rpm to about 1200rpm up and down for about 10 seconds then return to normal. Aircon not on at the time.
Fiestaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #21
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Well I have heard that camshaft position sensors were notorious on the pre 2008 fiestas. So might still be an issue?

No mods yet.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
firko
Starter Motor

had the same problem its the throttle position sensor that is also attached to the throttle body its a 10 min job a used one from a wrecker is about $135 a new one is $300 from ford
firko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post