Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Maryborough Ford Car Club > Events & Meets

Old 21-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #31
Ymir

Perhaps no-one should ever modify a car. Ever.

Then, they would always be faithful originals.

However, let those who are without sin cast the first stone. My XW is highly modified, but it wasn't a limited run. Given that, how many 6cyl blue XWs with brown interior and column change autos do you see? (It was all long gone when I bought it - I'd like to think that I'm doing a good thing by keeping it alive, though.) Our BA FPV GT-P has graphics that people "hate". (Mind you, on Sunday I gave out 20 cards to people for the person who did the graphics.) It's one of about 180 in that colour. It now has Brembo rotors, an SS cold air induction kit, aftermarket stall converter, 4 into 1 extractors, twin stainless exhaust, massive audio etc. Have we destroyed it? Perhaps not - it's not "rare". Given that, it's won 4 trophies in its last two displays, so we must be doing something right.

Having been to Kedron and seen the many cars - some VERY rare - that have been modified in some way, it made me appreciate what a diverse bunch we all are. Also, it seems to me that many of the parts that are needed to keep a car ORIGINAL are no longer available - some concessions need to be made. Have you sought these people out and given them similar feedback?

In any case, given the car in question, which of the change are irreversible? The paint job, as its no longer original paint? I'm no epxert.

Perhaps we should villify any car owner who has made a change to a limited run vehicle. Tyres? Oil? Paint? Wiper blades? I'd like to think we're more tolerant that that. Or, perhaps it's just the people in our area - we're a little more easy going.

Nick, I get your point of view. I just don't agree with it. Like I said, we're a diverse bunch. You're entitled to your opinion. I just marvelled at the awesome parade of cars on the day. The car you mentioned is well loved and can easily be returned to "original", whatever that is.

Lastly, more power to you for expressing your opinion. Debates such as this helps to define who we are.

Cheers
Old 21-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #32
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

well said mr G
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #33
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Obviously it's Terry's car and therefore Terry's choice as to what he did with it after he disappeared down my street in it.

The mods (stripes, wheels, red calipers, bling engine bay) are not my cup of tea, but that isn't my call.

My concern is that they made less Tickford Fairlanes than Phase II HO's, and one day someone is going to be standing in front of it hoping that everything can be put back to original. The car's value has been hurt by the mods as well - although that's only an issue if Terry ever wants to sell it, and I hope he doesn't - it's a wonderful car.

For the record, I'd have probably been guilty of modifying it given more time and money - I always thought it'd be nice with a 5 speed and a few extra cubes in the otherwise stock motor. To my mind, those mods would fit the character of the car. But I could be wrong too!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose

Last edited by GreenMachine; 21-09-2009 at 10:18 PM.
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #34
xccobra77
A fuel Injected story

I say make your car your own the way you want it not how other people think it should be.
Oh and having trouble uploading tonight ill try again tomorow.

XC Falcon 1977 fresh Electric Blue paint plently of custom body mods soon to have 351 Clevo C4 9 inch
xccobra77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #35
Ymir

Fair enough - we are a diverse bunch. There were more than a handful of cars that I saw that I thought had been modified to the detriment of the vehicle. But I still appreciated that the owner had put their own stamp on the car and if they were happy, that was OK.

I guess I'm a bit sensitive when this topic comes up. Over the last 10 years or so I've been treated badly by at least 100 people when they look at my XW. The negative comments about the XY front, that it's a GT replica, my choice of motor and interior, and so on ad nauseum, have made me think that there's a breed of automotive snob that, well, I'll stop this sentence before things get stinging.

And I geuss that's another thing about human nature. I'll keep negative comments about a car to myself. Others share them. That's not a bad thing, it's diversity in the human race. I'm not a detail person, so details aren't important to me. Feelings are, so it's how a car makes me feel that's important.

More power to all of you for being honest.

Cheers
Old 22-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #36
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modifying cars - mine's hardly as it was built in 1977. If you own it, you can do what you like with it to suit your own needs, wants and desired, full stop.

But to my mind there are several things that make the FBT what it is, not least the fact that they only made 106 of them. My personal gripes about FBT77 that detract from its FBTness:

- the FBT was available in 2 colours - Regency Red and Navy Blue. FBT77 is now neither of these, and the gold BA GT stripes down the sides don't help either. And on the subject of colour, what part of the FBT's engine bay is painted day-glo metallic blue? If it matched the paint on the outside you might forgive it... but come on...

- the FBT came with frankly the best looking wheels ever fitted to a Ford Falcon (or derivative) - 17" 6-spoke Speedlines. Where are FBT77s? Tell me the wheels are still "with" the car. Please...

- FBTs are supposed to be understated, are they not? I think that's their appeal. So why does FBT77 have red painted calipers? They're not Brembos and they just don't suit the "subtle" style of the FBT, IMO. All I can say is thank Christ they're still there at all - I thought the new wheels were 16s when I first saw them and if that was the case then the brakes would've been gone too because they won't fit behind a 16" rim. Glad I was wrong…

- nice CB aerial. No, really. What's next, an eight post roo bar? ;)

Sorry, but for FBT77, it no longer stands for Fairlane By Tickford… perhaps Fairlane By Terry would be more appropriate (I'm not going to insert the other obvious word beginning with F, although I must admit I want to)?

No serious offence intended, but I knew the car quite well when it was in my circle of friends, rode in it many a time, steered it a few as well. The previous keeper tried damn hard to keep it as the factory intended. Bloody shame he had to let it go really, moreso after seeing it on Sunday.

As I said, I'm all for modified cars, I honestly am. But with such a limited "special" I can't think why you'd go to the trouble of such mods that are costly to put back to original unless you didn't care for the car's exclusivity. Imagine if someone grabbed an XA GT RPO83 (of which 250 were made - more than twice the number of FBTs) and put big spoliers on it, swapped the motor for a 351W and trimmed the interior in crocodile skin... he'd be lynched. Not suggesting that Terry should be, but I'd hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #37
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Neek

Did you seek him out and tell him your thoughts?

Whilst I agree with what you are saying in principle I dont think it is appropriate in this thread.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #38
Ymir

Like I said, each to their own.

More power to you for passion and for keeping old cars alive.

Cheers
Old 22-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #39
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Did you seek him out and tell him your thoughts?
I did not, no. But I felt like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Whilst I agree with what you are saying in principle I dont think it is appropriate in this thread.
Perhaps you're right. I just wanted to vent my spleen, I guess. Job done.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #40
russell
Starter Motor

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion when it comes to a car because we all view them differently..
A car was only original the day it left the factory.
After that the the owners would add their own touches to make it their own.
Their is only a few originals left of any model as the times and eras and new owners also changed them along the way.
As soon as I buy a new old classic my brain runs crazy with the ideas of what I want to achieve with it.
We all have different skills which we want to use and incorporate into our new projects as well.
Low budget improvements using your own labour and skills is the first step.
To improve any car you have to modify to get results.
I own an XW GT and with its many modifications that it has had over the 40 years it still remains an XW GT.
I am sure most people that have commented have a double standard as they probaly have a modified vehicle themselves..
A car is supposed to give you enjoyment not controvesry.
Enjoy it the way you want it and wave at all the critics as you go by is what I reckon.
Bearing in mind I am only 1 person with only 1 opinion so These are my thoughts on the subject..
russell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #41
Ymir

Russell - very wise indeed.

Cheers
Old 22-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #42
xccobra77
A fuel Injected story

Ok quit complaining and check these out.

XC Falcon 1977 fresh Electric Blue paint plently of custom body mods soon to have 351 Clevo C4 9 inch
xccobra77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #43
shiny

very nice pics on here looks like it was a good day
shiny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #44
Terry M

I feel that I mst explain a few things to the critics out there regarding MY car (FBT77). When I purchased it I don't think there was a panel on it including roof and bonnet that didn't have a dent or scratch on them. The tow bar was also on it. It did not pass roadworthy until two second had tyres were put on it. The drivers seat had to be removed and repaired as the cover kept sliding over from getting in and out of the car The amplifyer and magazine were missing from the stereo system. All of this I was aware of before buying the car. I have spent $8,000 to have dents, stone chips and scratches repaired. Nick (previous owner sent me the amplifyer which was restored to the vehicle and after a lot of chasing around I have the correct magazine for the stereo. Now the C.B. aerail is there to allow comms on club runs. There are no holes drilled for the wiring and the aerial is supposed to be reomed when not in use. The stripes are stick ons which can be removed with the greatest of ease. I still have the Tickford wheels which I told nick about on these forums not so long ago. The engine cover wasn't supposed to be the colour that it is. is was supposed to be the same as the plenum chamber which has been coated with heat resistant ceramic. The brakes are not painted red to deceive any person/s of their origin. I painted thm as after the K's that the car has done the original colour had gone and bel;ieve it or not I just happen to like red. Iam submitting this explanation not to have a go at Nick, nor to have a go at the person who doesn't like my car, but to just set the records straight and hope the poor unhappy chaps that I have upset can get along fixing up the rest of the worlds problems. By the way the car is for sale to any to any genuine buyer. All you have to do is ask Nick how much he sold it for and add on the body/paint work that I have had done and I will remove the stripes, aerial , wheels and engine cover from it
Kindest regards Terry
Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #45
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

ohh terry please dont sell this beautiful car, i love it !! and terry well said :-)
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #46
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

first of all thanks guys for all the pics, very much appreciated! helps to lessen the sting of missing it all.

secondly, to all the haters on here lately- grow up! yes the FBT is a lovely car, yes it is a rare car, but she's also terry's car.....so take a deep breath and shut the fu@k up!

while the mods may not be to everyones taste, it's terry's car. he laid down the hard earned to buy itand pay for the mods- so he can do what he likes! besides, all the mods are easily reversed, it's not like he cut the roof off!!!!!!

so if you are all so damn worried i suggest ya pony up with some cash and rescue the poor thing.....hell he might just use non-genuine polish next- for shame!!!!!

Young Terry, you have my uptmost support and respect, mate!

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post