Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
aaron001au
Starter Motor

Default 1999 Wf festiva Idle Problems !!

hey all my old mans got a 99 WF festiva 1.5L manual and it has a idle problem.

about a week ago we parked the car up for the night went back to it the next day and it wouldn't start.

we ended up putting a new coil, leads, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor button on it and it came back to life but then had the idle problem.

when its cold it idles up and run but has a slight misfire once it warms up the idle fluxes up and down until it stall out so we replaced the crank angle sensor in the dizzy thinking it could be that but no change

not going to throw any more money at it hoping it will fix it so can any one point me in the right direction or give me ideas what it could be ? or common faults with them

thanks in advance all
aaron001au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 1999 Wf festiva Idle Problems !!

I'll have a look through the WSM tonight but it sounds like a sensor of some sort or it is sucking in air somewhere in the intake side.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
aaron001au
Starter Motor

Thanks russellw that would be great
aaron001au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It's a relatively simple system of electronic engine controls as per the diagram below:

Likewise, the vacuum hose layout is straightforward - the resistances are marked on the various solenoids:

I'm going to include the likely causes for rough idle or engine stalls after warm-up as it more closely matches the symptoms you described.

1. Idle air-speed control system malfunction
2. A/F mixture too lean (air leak, low fuel pressure, PCV valve stuck open)
3. A/F mixture too rich (coolant temp correction - thermosensor)
4. Incorrect ignition timing.

Most of these require a diagnostic tester to check but you can check some of them manually.

The water thermosensor can be checked easily by disconnecting it to see if the warm idle improves.

Specs wise:

Fuel system pressure should be 34-40 PSI and it can be measured with an in-line gauge after the fuel filter.

Timing 16 deg BTDC +/- 1 deg

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 22-06-2017 at 08:31 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
kapreman
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron001au View Post
hey all my old mans got a 99 WF festiva 1.5L
Quote:
when its cold it idles up and run but has a slight misfire once it warms up the idle fluxes up and down until it stall out
Hi aaron001au, I had exactly the same problem with my '99 1.5L manual....

Quote:
we ended up putting a new coil, leads, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor button on it
The old girl hadn't had a full service in a while, so my mechanic bro helped me replace all these, but idle was still jumping up and down. After poking around, he found that the hose going to the solenoid valve (purge control) had a hard-to-see split on the underside [see pic], and so was sucking air. I guess the split was getting progressively larger, hence why the problem was getting worse over time. A couple of bucks for a bit of quality hose later, and now she's running fine again! So, while I can't guarantee it's exactly the same with yours, maybe check that hose (and even the others too?) for splits. Hope this helps, cheers, Neil.
Attached Images
File Type: png festivahose.png (126.2 KB, 10 views)
kapreman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
bacruzr
Starter Motor

Hey aaron001au did you sort the issue out with the festiva?
bacruzr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post