Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-09-2016, 11:28 PM   #31
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default Re: How are the storms in SA?

Keep safe, South Australians!

Seven News at 6pm ran with all the AFL stuff for the first few stories before getting to the SA storm. I saw the footage of the power line towers down - incredible forces.

(We have a public holiday here tomorrow for the AFL parade. Then we get a public holiday for the Melbourne Cup, too!)

Looks like a smaller storm is approaching near Melbourne were I am. We had some rain and bit of wind last night, nothing like SA though. Looks like the whole system is rotating around and not really going anywhere too fast.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #32
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Lots of sea foam at Christies Beach about an hour ago. Waves breaking over the road at Moana . I would expect high tide in about half an hour will be taking its toll soon.
Old 29-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #33
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Winds have reached 120Ks in some areas.
Old 30-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #34
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

We lost our blast furnace... not good at this point in time
Old 30-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #35
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Still no power here (at work now with a genset so I can type this) probably no power until Thursday is the latest rumour....

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #36
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
My power was out for 20 hrs, I now have a freezer full of compost. The last time I was out for 12 hours I got a $ 90 cheque from SA Power networks.
There are government "grants" up to $700 apparently for people that were without power for extended periods.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-2...r'/7889846

I received an SMS from the SES last night at 2am saying to evacuate due to the North Para River flooding. I'm a fair way away from there though and slept through the warning anyway. Fair bit of flooding up here in the Barossa last night and today.
Old 30-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Had a mate on the westside of melbourne (Macedon) lose power since 4am this morning . Guess all the electrical current got sapped by SA.
I'm in the same area but on the opposite side of Mt Macedon, no power loss here.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #38
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My daughter was in the CBD last night having a job interview after hours.
The interview was interrupted by police instructing them to evacuate the area unless it was absolutely vital they need to remain.
They should remember her with such an unusual occurence like that haha.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #39
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
You think you've seen bad driving.
Last nights drive home took dickheadness to a new level.

My drive from work to home is typically 25-30 minutes.
Yesterday I did that run with not a single set of traffic lights operating (I'm sure it was llike that everywhere) and it took just over an hour and a half.
I saw 4 accidents.
Actually more like 3 because the lady in front of me hit the ute in front of her TWICE within a minute. We were barely crawling and she ran into the back of him. He pulled his car to the side and she followed and hit him again, this time 4, 5 times harder than the first hit. Wow. The guy was rightly ****ed. What an idiot, absolute no reason for that to occur. First tap broke his number plate surround. 2nd hit, had her bonnet folded up like a tent and a big dent across his tailgate.

4WDs launching into a tiny break in the traffic only to have to slam on brakes to avoid collecting the stopped cars ahead. You're sitting higher up than me and I can see its a total jam up ahead so why can't you see the road is blocked and speeding for 15 meters does nothing but create danger.

Cop cars running down median strips, fire trucks shooting off one way, ambos the other. People reversing on main roads trying to make gaps for them.

Those cops with the lit batons at the intersections need a medal. I would not be surprised if a few were run down last night, it was that chaotic where I was, it felt like the scene from Jumanji... I was idling along waiting for the elephants and monkeys to march past.
This sums it up beautifully. My normal 45 min drive took 2 hours. It was CHAOS.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #40
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Two days ago I was soldering an active speaker when the power suddenly cut out and left me in darkness. Then yesterday I was in the middle of a fps gaming tournament (top of scoreboard) when it cut out.

First world problems at their finest, really puts things in perspective though.
Junkyard-Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #41
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Well, I only got the power back on yesterday mid morning, that's well into day 4 before power was restored Thank god I payed that sparky to fit a caravan plug to my power box so I can run the whole house on a genny when this crap happens, it was business as usual for us mostly.....except for the phones and internet which STILL isn't working. I'm informed they are not expecting the land line to be fixed until at least Tuesday at the earliest. We only got mobile coverage back this morning so I'm now hot spotting my mobile to get online..... but at least I got Telstra to give me an extra 5 gig of data for free on my mobile so I don't bleed my mobile plan dry in the first 24 hrs of my monthly limit.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #42
290v
290v

I spent the week in Cairns while the weather was crap
Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #43
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I think we lost power for about 15 hours all up - 10 hours the first day and 5 hours the next.
Junkyard-Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post