Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #31
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Roadworks Frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Appears you're an even bigger drop kick than her
I seriously don't understand why you are having a go.

Abuse and name calling.... you don't seem to be old enough to drive, let alone have an opinion about it.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #32
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Absolutely agree, my point is in 2016 NO-ONE should be stepping out infront of a car with a stop sign and a hard hat and assume the car is going to stop. Any road job that allows that happen is a little behind the times with safety.

There a saying these days in the industry "eliminate the risk", divert traffic AWAY from the work front eliminates the cars and risk, temporary traffic lights eliminates the need for a person stand in front of a moving vehicle being exposed to a potential collision.....etc

Unfortunately Aussie construction has a tendency to reject change and always adopts the "that's the way he have always done it" attitude.
That's a fair point, safety in these environments is a two way street so to speak.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #33
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Perhaps you should take time to read the T&C's..........

3. Posts that are disrespectful or insulting to another forum member. Remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is expressed in a reasoned manner.

6. Posts that are deliberately argumentative or which fail to respect the opinion of another member.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #34
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Perhaps you should take time to read the T&C's..........

3. Posts that are disrespectful or insulting to another forum member. Remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is expressed in a reasoned manner.

6. Posts that are deliberately argumentative or which fail to respect the opinion of another member.
You should be aiming that at the muppet gloating that his wife nearly ran down a road worker yes?
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #35
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You should be aiming that at the muppet gloating that his wife nearly ran down a road worker yes?
Honestly mate i dont know how you got that from his story, to me it seems to say he and his wife didn't see the bloke because he was blending in with the background he was standing in front of???? Ive had simillar myself were the lolly pop man was standing just right were he was difficult to see, i wound my window down and kindly let him know, he thanked me and moved down the road a little bit.

As for the op, we all get frustrated with the weird roadwork speed limits sometimes. I just do my best to stick to the limits but the thing that really ticks me off is when your doing 40 in the 40 zone on fresh layed bitumen and a nob overtakes you spraying you with rocks arrrgghhh serenity now serenity now
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #36
Spurious

Quote:
You're using this thread for a personal attack? What's wrong with you?
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #37
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
If it goes to court, get your lawyer to work the following article into your defence, if you are in Victoria...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225909847862
In the laws eyes, taking that line of defense to a speeding ticket is fruitless!
For a moment I considered the idea of defending myself, but all I'd be doing is paddling upstream!
The cop got me fair & square & that's the first thing I said to him. It's just super frustrating knowing that you really didn't do anything wrong, no-one was at risk, but the law is the law.

My mum always says "The law is an ***"!
Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Have a holiday, that should give you time to read the T&C's properly.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #39
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Its going on just out of Riddells Creek at the moment, there is a roadworks zone where the guys haven't been working at for months now but they left the signs out, so no one follows the limit anymore.
If people see no workers then they consciously revert back to "driving to the conditions". If we don't see the need to slow down, then we usually won't want too. That is a natural human attribute.

& this is one of my points. I'll freely admit that I've driven quicker than a posted limit within a roadworks zone more than once in my time, & without punishment. Obviously because there was no-one there to see it on the day...AKA "the uninhabited work site".
Of course you slow down for gravel, firstly 'cause it's slippery & second 'cause I too don't want my paintwork dinged!
If you deem there to be minimal risk, you revert back to driving to the conditions.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #40
Itsme
Experienced Member

So many roadworks here in Melbourne it is actually part of our regular scenery these days, you just got to learn to take a chill pill & chill out, no need to get upset as it is not going to go away.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #41
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Of those complaining about roadwork speed limit zones, how many are professional roadway engineers, risk managers, OH&S experts or lawyers, and if those who are one I the aforementioned how many are experts in the particular site where the speed limit is imposed?
There are speed zones put in place for many reasons. They don't do it for fun often, people have thought about it, made applications and followed regulation for the protection of everyone.
Relax about it, it never really adds much time to your drive.
JP
You're right, it never adds much time to the drive (unless you're busting to go!!!) & I'm not complaining in general for the sake of ranting, I had a specific gripe & that is the unmanned workzone with reduced speed limits.

Seriously, we all understand that roadworks are costly, time consuming, necessary & logistically challenging for those involved, but that's why it's even more surprising when one is forced to reduce speed for as many kilometres of roadway as you'd care to count, & you don't see a single worker.

& let's face it, who ever makes these regulations needs a good
Eliminating the risk means taking cars out of the equation, but what we see are cars going 40, 60 & upto 80kph through work zones & within feet of workers. So obviously there's a level of safety applied but not a complete elimination of the risk.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #42
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
You mean, the same people who think a footpath next to a busy 80kph road doesnt warrant any protective measures for pedestrians?
It's funny you know, I've always said that, to the point that I have actually warned my son that being on a footpath is no measure of safety.
I personally get nervous walking down a roadside footpath. I've been witness to what can happen when vehicles mount kerbs & hit pedestrians. It sadly can happen all too easily.

I've often wondered who conspired to put roads & paths together.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #43
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

B.I.L. used to work in main roads, civil works department......he reckons the amount of signage that must be placed by law now is ridiculous, however he states the amount of folks who ignore them is unbelievable.

to the feller/girlie who lost the lollypop man in amongst the other lights......been there, done that, oncoming traffic, flashing lights everywhere and overhead lights and I lose stop lights everytime, I've gone through a couple of lights now that I couldn't tell you what colour they were, didn't see them......my wife did, I hate citys at night.

so my sympathy is with you.......

gets a bit annoying though, i will admit, to slow to 25 KPH on a Sunday evening in the middle of nowhere.......but the B.I.L. reckons the signs have to stay to protect the public until ALL work has ceased by law.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #44
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
done that, oncoming traffic, flashing lights everywhere and overhead lights and I lose stop lights everytime, I've gone through a couple of lights now that I couldn't tell you what colour they were, didn't see them......my wife did, I hate citys at night.
Now you know why you have to slow right down as it gets very confusing!
your brain can only process so much through confusion.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #45
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sign blind
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #46
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mind slowing down to the slower speed but what really gets my goat is when you have one lane closed. You can plainly see it so you give yourself plenty of time to get into the open lane (might even be courteous and let a few people in) and then 10 or so cars think that it their god given right to come screaming up on the inside and just push in!!! No indicators and no thanks!!!

Now that is what annoys me with road works. (Sorry two minute rant over with - need a cup of tea Hommmmmm )

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #47
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's 2 things that irk me with roadworks...first is they always seem to do it at the the most inconvenient time, like early morning during peak hour traffic which causes the most disruption and second, the amount of workers it takes to do the roadwork. I amazes me that you can have 20-30 guys at the roadwork site, yet there is always only a handful of them actually doing anything. 5-6 of them having a chat, another 4 -5 sitting in trucks, 1 holding the go slow sign, 3 leaning on shovels and another 3-4 sitting on eskys having a chin wag and a smoko. Sounds like our taxes not at hard work to me!

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #48
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Old 02-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #49
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've reread my post a few times. I don't understand where the confusion is.

I certainly wasn't gloating
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 12:48 AM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
There's 2 things that irk me with roadworks...first is they always seem to do it at the the most inconvenient time, like early morning during peak hour traffic which causes the most disruption and second, the amount of workers it takes to do the roadwork. I amazes me that you can have 20-30 guys at the roadwork site, yet there is always only a handful of them actually doing anything. 5-6 of them having a chat, another 4 -5 sitting in trucks, 1 holding the go slow sign, 3 leaning on shovels and another 3-4 sitting on eskys having a chin wag and a smoko. Sounds like our taxes not at hard work to me!
I think thats with everyone contracted out to government jobs, its happening out here, not so much with 400 blokes on site and 4 working and 396 doing SFA but its taking forever and a day to do something that you would knock out in a month tops on a private job.

As soon as someone wins government work people enjoy padding out figures and taking their sweet time.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #51
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

It’s been a while since I was in the game so I won’t swear it’s still the same today but one of the obstacles we faced with Council work was the unions wouldn’t allow an employee who was employed to do a job to do anything outside of that job.

For example a truck driver could stand around chatting to other employees for a couple of hours waiting for a load but wasn’t allowed to pick up a shovel or become involved in any other aspect of the job and this was also the case for a number of positions.

That’s not to say Council day labour isn’t inherently slow but today much of this type of work is put out to tender and it’s the winning Company doing the job that is losing money and I’m only guessing when I say there is every chance they are also constrained by the Unions in what they can and can’t ask their employees to do.

Maybe some of the current Civil Engineers on the forum could provide some input into up to date practices for us to better understand what is happening with road construction.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #52
Spurious

I may have sent you all down the wrong path here initially.

If I recall correctly on the day in question, as I entered the reduced speed zone there were only lower speed limit signs posted on the shoulder & NOT any "roadwork" signs, & the other stating the right hand lane was closed.

The whole reduced speed zone extended for about 3 to 4 k's I guess, with nothing to be seen other than road throughout!

I have also taken the step of emailing the local dept' of roads to shed some light on what exactly was going on, on that day - re; roadwork?
I am awaiting their response.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #53
creative
I am Batman

Personally it doesnt bother me but I will admit I drive to the conditions at the time rather than taking my eyes off a road to speedo watch.

If I see workers, uneven road surfaces etc etc, I slow down to the correct speed... I see long open sections with no activity, I slow a little but continue paying attention to my surroundings, you know, actually drive and pay attention instead of removing my eyes from the road ahead.

Funniest was on the freeway, tractor grass cutting on the hardshoulder, man in truck with his 80 signs flashing no real danger and traffic flowing g well.... and a HWP sat in the middle of the reservation. People really didnt know what to do. Some were slamming their brakes on, others eased off, lane changes.... all sorts!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #54
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN View Post
I don't mind slowing down to the slower speed but what really gets my goat is when you have one lane closed. You can plainly see it so you give yourself plenty of time to get into the open lane (might even be courteous and let a few people in) and then 10 or so cars think that it their god given right to come screaming up on the inside and just push in!!! No indicators and no thanks!!!
This happens every time two lanes become one. I merge behind the car next to me, the car behind me accelerates past me to get in front of the car I am behind.

It's the age with the mentality "Everything should be given to me as it's my right to be better than you"
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #55
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I hate seeing those damn 40km signs and there is no-one around, but I'm an impatient Sydney sider, always in a hurry and always in a traffic jamb.

On another note but still about roadworks frustration, how long have those muppets been messing around on that bit of road coming into Bathurst from Lithgow? That is the longest going road project I have ever encountered 2 and a half years to build a 2 km piece of road and it looks about halfway through the job, what an absolute embarrassment.
Don't worry, be patient, I read in the local paper that it will be finished some time late in 2017, or was that 2018 ?
Old 11-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #56
Spurious

...& how's this for a slap in the face...I have emailed the dept' of planning & infrastructure 3 times since the incident requesting information.

So far they have not responded.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #57
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post
...& how's this for a slap in the face...I have emailed the dept' of planning & infrastructure 3 times since the incident requesting information.

So far they have not responded.
It would be nice if they did but....................

You didn't really expect a reply from a government department did you
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #58
4stanger