Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Spurious

Default Roadworks Frustration.

I wanted to post this while it's still fresh in my mind, & I want to hear other peoples opinions & experiences.

What goes through your mind when you enter a roadworks reduced speed limit zone only to find that there is in fact nothing going on?

I have more to add but I want feedback first.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Roadworks Frustration.

Its absurd. But its OHS, so its a sacred cow in this country.

I find it ridiculous that a footpath can be alongside an 80 zone road, but a worker behind a concrete barrier needs a 40 zone (or less).
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Much to the frustration of most drivers behind me I don't speed through roadworks ..
I'm not so fussed about the nothing going on .. if the road is still "in construction".
The one that gets me is when they put out the signs in the wrong order; i.e. the de-restriction signs placed last and removed first, so that you are driving along for an unwarranted period at the slower speed for no reason (until you come across another sign)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It can be because of the road condition itself which would necessitate a slower speed. Certainly been a few that I've come across like that.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

It depends on the situation....
1. The reduced road works speed signs are still in place but no workers or obvious work is being carried out - The signs may still be in place because the road works are not completely finished, and it may be unsafe to still travel at the normal speed for that road. E.g. - gravel on road, slippery surfaces, debris or pot holes. In this case, I don't mind.

2. The reduced speed signs are still in place, the road surface poses no hazards as above and the workers are coming back tomorrow or soon and have been too lazy to remove them at the end of the work day and re install them the next day.
- This fustrates me and most people, but I still stick to the reduced posted limits, mainly in fear of a cop car and radar sitting down the road, etc.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Lots of reasons to get frustrated when you see nothing going on or it is on a Sunday and you know that they don't work Sundays. However, there must be reasons unknown to us for leaving the signage in place and enforceable. So, doing the sums, 40k limit, and if I come from say an 80k zone and DO NOT SLOW, then I am legally 40k over the limit and frankly, I like the money in my pocket rather than some gov coffer.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, many differing circumstances

BUT, FRUSTRATING when the reduced speed sign says "changed traffic/conditions ahead" !
Like WTF, sure, you drive here ever day you would have seen the "progressive changes".........

Never in my life "driven this road before", what bloody difference does the stupid sign mean ????
Really Mr GovCo/revenue facility..............

Drive to the road and conditions ( If you need to allow for the lowest common FW, then "WHY" did you ever issue the FW a licence ???????? )

Rant over
Cheers all
Old 31-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Doesnt bother me. They're normally not that long and it ads sfa to the journey.

The bit i dont get is roadworks on freeways the speed limt drops to 70....regardless of work going on or not going on there are people who will drive through at about 90kph.....then once its back up to 100kph...these same people still do 90kph. If they're happy doing 20 over the limit through the roadworks why dont they do it after it.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:56 AM   #9
Spurious

I've just about seen it all over the years & it defies belief.
Everything from workers who didn't cover the regular speed signs, so drivers get mixed info moving through a work site, to workers who have stepped out on to my lane whilst I'm travelling at 110kph...without so much as a witches hat in sight.

Today was no exception.
First I'll state I am both embarrassed & angered by todays events & no doubt members here will justifiably rib me for it.
I will also state that I have the utmost respect for public safety & no issues with restricted speed zones when workers are on site & visible, & in my own defence I am a courteous driver who, like most of us, does good deeds regularly that will always go unmentioned. The same guy tends to get frustrated like everyone else too!

So today, drove my regular route of 10+k's on the highway (110 zone), saw no roadworks on route PERIOD!
On my return, same highway, opposite direction of travel, I come upon a reduce speed sign-80kph, then 50m on another sign denoting 60kph.
There's also the fact there was a marked cop car in front of me.

Entering the reduced speed zone another sign stated that the right lane (dual carriage way) was closed further on. So we all form a queue behind the cop....who winds up travelling through the reduced 60kph zone at a speed of 55kph.
So, my mindset at this point, annoyed about roadworks, & now I'm stuck behind SGT slow!
So driving on I can see the right lane is still open, so I merged right to pass the cop & as I did so we all entered a long straight, I passed the cop at about 65kph I guess, not wanting to draw too much attention to myself, I then merged left again.
As this is happening, all the drivers, myself, the cop & all those behind can clearly see that the long straight road ahead is clear. No roadworks at all. Nothing. No signs, no witches hats, no work vehicles, no closed lanes....NOTHING!

So it was at this point I lost the plot mentally & accelerated for about 100m then exited to an off ramp. I guess I hit 80kph as I entered the off ramp.

So yes, I did the wrong thing, & yes the cop rightly followed me off the highway & pulled me over.
I practically blew up in the poor guys face as I was so annoyed by the whole affair. To his credit he kept his cool & actually levelled with me.
So after a brief but heated roadside debate, he kindly sent me on my way with the promise of either a fine or a summons in the post & made it clear that if the matter was to go before a magistrate, he would attest to the fact there wasn't a roadworker in sight!

If there was, then you wouldn't be reading this!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:04 AM   #10
Spurious

...& who here is going to be silly enough to have mental visions of me plowing my car through a crowd of roadworkers at MACH 1 & comment accordingly? LOL
Old 01-09-2016, 01:17 AM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post
I've just about seen it all over the years & it defies belief.
Everything from workers who didn't cover the regular speed signs, so drivers get mixed info moving through a work site, to workers who have stepped out on to my lane whilst I'm travelling at 110kph...without so much as a witches hat in sight.

Today was no exception.
First I'll state I am both embarrassed & angered by todays events & no doubt members here will justifiably rib me for it.
I will also state that I have the utmost respect for public safety & no issues with restricted speed zones when workers are on site & visible, & in my own defence I am a courteous driver who, like most of us, does good deeds regularly that will always go unmentioned. The same guy tends to get frustrated like everyone else too!

So today, drove my regular route of 10+k's on the highway (110 zone), saw no roadworks on route PERIOD!
On my return, same highway, opposite direction of travel, I come upon a reduce speed sign-80kph, then 50m on another sign denoting 60kph.
There's also the fact there was a marked cop car in front of me.

Entering the reduced speed zone another sign stated that the right lane (dual carriage way) was closed further on. So we all form a queue behind the cop....who winds up travelling through the reduced 60kph zone at a speed of 55kph.
So, my mindset at this point, annoyed about roadworks, & now I'm stuck behind SGT slow!
So driving on I can see the right lane is still open, so I merged right to pass the cop & as I did so we all entered a long straight, I passed the cop at about 65kph I guess, not wanting to draw too much attention to myself, I then merged left again.
As this is happening, all the drivers, myself, the cop & all those behind can clearly see that the long straight road ahead is clear. No roadworks at all. Nothing. No signs, no witches hats, no work vehicles, no closed lanes....NOTHING!

So it was at this point I lost the plot mentally & accelerated for about 100m then exited to an off ramp. I guess I hit 80kph as I entered the off ramp.

So yes, I did the wrong thing, & yes the cop rightly followed me off the highway & pulled me over.
I practically blew up in the poor guys face as I was so annoyed by the whole affair. To his credit he kept his cool & actually levelled with me.
So after a brief but heated roadside debate, he kindly sent me on my way with the promise of either a fine or a summons in the post & made it clear that if the matter was to go before a magistrate, he would attest to the fact there wasn't a roadworker in sight!

If there was, then you wouldn't be reading this!
If it goes to court, get your lawyer to work the following article into your defence, if you are in Victoria...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225909847862
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its going on just out of Riddells Creek at the moment, there is a roadworks zone where the guys haven't been working at for months now but they left the signs out, so no one follows the limit anymore.

They started roadworks but because of the weather have had to abandon it at the moment.

The road itself is fine but they were widening the edges.

They've left the signs there.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

It's quite frustrating and more often than not, not necessary.

What I hate is when there are 'workmen' there but they are not working, just wasting time (both mine and theirs)
Or, when they decide to tear up and resurface a road the was fine in the first place.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of those complaining about roadwork speed limit zones, how many are professional roadway engineers, risk managers, OH&S experts or lawyers, and if those who are one I the aforementioned how many are experts in the particular site where the speed limit is imposed?
There are speed zones put in place for many reasons. They don't do it for fun often, people have thought about it, made applications and followed regulation for the protection of everyone.
Relax about it, it never really adds much time to your drive.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #15
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Of those complaining about roadwork speed limit zones, how many are professional roadway engineers, risk managers, OH&S experts or
You mean, the same people who think a footpath next to a busy 80kph road doesnt warrant any protective measures for pedestrians?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #16
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We were returning home from dinner a few nights ago.
My wife was driving and we were approaching some roadworks with all the lanes on this main road reduced to a single lane each way. So we were already slowing down. I yelled at her to stop because this fella with a Stop sign paddle and an orange vest walked out in front of our car and held his sign up to stop our lane.
But due to all the flashing lights ahead, the line of cars coming the other way with headlights on, he was practically invisible. Seriously I didn't see him until we were only a couple of metres away from running him down.
Wife wound her window down to tell him that he is basically lost within all the lights and activity and simply can not be seen. He got mad at her, threw his sign into the back of the truck and ranted about how was wearing the correct fluro vest.
Fine! Get run down then. As long as you have your vest on. Couldn't believe the attitude.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
My wife was driving and we were approaching some roadworks with all the lanes on this main road reduced to a single lane each way. So we were already slowing down. I yelled at her to stop because this fella with a Stop sign paddle and an orange vest walked out in front of our car and held his sign up to stop our lane.
But due to all the flashing lights ahead, the line of cars coming the other way with headlights on, he was practically invisible. Seriously I didn't see him until we were only a couple of metres away from running him down.
Wife wound her window down to tell him that he is basically lost within all the lights and activity and simply can not be seen. He got mad at her, threw his sign into the back of the truck and ranted about how was wearing the correct fluro vest.
Fine! Get run down then. As long as you have your vest on. Couldn't believe the attitude.
Your wife needs to understand the concept of driving to the conditions.

Last edited by GasoLane; 01-09-2016 at 06:44 PM.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate seeing those damn 40km signs and there is no-one around, but I'm an impatient Sydney sider, always in a hurry and always in a traffic jamb.

On another note but still about roadworks frustration, how long have those muppets been messing around on that bit of road coming into Bathurst from Lithgow? That is the longest going road project I have ever encountered 2 and a half years to build a 2 km piece of road and it looks about halfway through the job, what an absolute embarrassment.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #19
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Your wife needs to understand the concept of driving to the conditions.
That's a bit harsh mate, no worker should be walking out infront of traffic with a paddle pop or hi-vis gear. Highly risky activity and asking to get hit by a car.

Paddle pop dude should be holding up sign but not standing in the middle of the road, if a car blows through no problem. Road work plant should not move into traffic until the first two cars have come to a complete stop.

Last edited by GasoLane; 01-09-2016 at 06:44 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

What gets me is quite often they put the speed signs up about 1/2 km or even further before the actual roadworks, and then have to continue driving slow for another 1/2 km or more after, before you can resume the normal speed.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #21
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
That's a bit harsh mate, no worker should be walking out infront of traffic with a paddle pop or hi-vis gear. Highly risky activity and asking to get hit by a car.

Paddle pop dude should be holding up sign but not standing in the middle of the road, if a car blows through no problem. Road work plant should not move into traffic until the first two cars have come to a complete stop.
I think that may have been tongue-in-cheeck!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #22
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your wife needs to understand the concept of driving to the conditions. You're both as clueless as each other!
Nice, thanks for your input.
Had you been there I doubt you would have been driving any different to her.

The dude appeared out of nowhere right in the middle of the lane, barely a silhouette to be seen against the backdrop.

I'll be sure to pass on your comments, she'll think as much of your opinion as I do.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #23
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Roadworks. Pfft. Just keep ya foot flat. Whatch out of there is a big hole in the road though. Just saying.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #24
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
What gets me is quite often they put the speed signs up about 1/2 km or even further before the actual roadworks, and then have to continue driving slow for another 1/2 km or more after, before you can resume the normal speed.
Not everyone drives light vehicles. Heavy vehicles need a lot of time to slow down.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #25
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
I have encountered Police at accident scenes, at night with no light baton. I wound down the window and said the same thing. Oblivious.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #26
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

You’re driving through a work zone with a restricted speed limit and therefore need to be prepared for the unexpected.

As an old Engineer who as a youngster designed and supervised road construction I still have a clear memory of the car who sped through one site where I was working and threw up a rock about the size of a 50 cent piece and hit the Chief Engineer in the head.

Luckily he was wearing his hardhat as the force of it still sat him on his *** and I could only imagine the serious injury or death it could have caused.

He was about 25 metres for the carriageway.

Ask anyone who works the roads what they think of having vehicles even at slow speeds moving through their work sites and you’ll hear of many many close calls and frayed nerves which don’t necessarily involve speed but more impatience.

In saying that I slow down simply because I don’t want to find a gravel section that may pepper the side of my pristine paint and bodywork with rocks and stones whether the site is active or not.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #27
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice, thanks for your input.
Had you been there I doubt you would have been driving any different to her.

The dude appeared out of nowhere right in the middle of the lane, barely a silhouette to be seen against the backdrop.

I'll be sure to pass on your comments, she'll think as much of your opinion as I do.
Appears you're an even bigger drop kick than her
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #28
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Appears you're an even bigger drop kick than her
Shut it.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #29
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
You’re driving through a work zone with a restricted speed limit and therefore need to be prepared for the unexpected.

As an old Engineer who as a youngster designed and supervised road construction I still have a clear memory of the car who sped through one site where I was working and threw up a rock about the size of a 50 cent piece and hit the Chief Engineer in the head.

Luckily he was wearing his hardhat as the force of it still sat him on his *** and I could only imagine the serious injury or death it could have caused.

He was about 25 metres for the carriageway.

Ask anyone who works the roads what they think of having vehicles even at slow speeds moving through their work sites and you’ll hear of many many close calls and frayed nerves which don’t necessarily involve speed but more impatience.

In saying that I slow down simply because I don’t want to find a gravel section that may pepper the side of my pristine paint and bodywork with rocks and stones whether the site is active or not.
Absolutely agree, my point is in 2016 NO-ONE should be stepping out infront of a car with a stop sign and a hard hat and assume the car is going to stop. Any road job that allows that happen is a little behind the times with safety.

There a saying these days in the industry "eliminate the risk", divert traffic AWAY from the work front eliminates the cars and risk, temporary traffic lights eliminates the need for a person stand in front of a moving vehicle being exposed to a potential collision.....etc

Unfortunately Aussie construction has a tendency to reject change and always adopts the "that's the way he have always done it" attitude.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #30
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Of those complaining about roadwork speed limit zones, how many are professional roadway engineers, risk managers, OH&S experts or lawyers, and if those who are one I the aforementioned how many are experts in the particular site where the speed limit is imposed?
There are speed zones put in place for many reasons. They don't do it for fun often, people have thought about it, made applications and followed regulation for the protection of everyone.
Relax about it, it never really adds much time to your drive.
JP
The three bolded can play in traffic any time they want

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post