Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Netflix

I know it's just been introduced in Oz.

Have any of you signed up for it? I believe there is 3 packages available ranging from $10 to $15 per month.

I don't have a smart TV so will be streaming to my desktop/laptop.

Far cheaper than the commercial cable networks which I can't afford, besides that I cancelled my subscription to Foxtel as it was invaded with advertising - I figured that pay TV was funded by subscribers not by ads, so wrong there!

I'm considering subscribing to Netflix - what are your experiences so far?

Do you think it's worth it? Is there good variety?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Cheers!

Edit: I have Optus cable. Capable of 21Mbps download. That's megabits per second, not megabytes!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 06-04-2015 at 09:48 AM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Netflix

I had a play at a mates house last week and it's pretty good. The library isn't as good as the US, obviously, but it's cheaper and better than Foxtel. I won't pay for Foxtel out of principal...they're the reason so many Australians pirate content! Not to mention, my house mate and I are potentially considering signing up to all 3 of the streaming services (Netflix, Stan, Presto) as it'll still cost less than Foxtel (even less split between two of us) and have far better coverage AND it's available whenever WE want/have time to watch it, not when someone else thinks it's a great time to air a show.

If you've got the bandwidth and money to do it, I'd seriously consider it.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Hell Cat

I dont often watch tv but my partner signed us up to netflix.

We are with iiNet so it doesnt use up our internet bandwidth as they have an agreement with netfix.

My parents have foxtel and its crap compared to 10 years ago.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Soulsearcher

Pickup a googke chromecast if youre going to give Netflix a trial - it'll convert your existing tv into a smart one and you can use your phone / tablet to stream Netflix amongst other things.

Much more comfortable watching tv from your couch as opposed to sitting at your computer desk.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Soulsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been using it here. My Oppo bluray player has the app built in. I chose the $11.99 a month plan and I have had no issues with it at all so far. I'm with Internode so the data used is not taken from my quota.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

How big is the library and I guess they are storing the movies on australia servers.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been watching the US version for the last year (Use chrome with a proxy)..VERY VERY good..The Aus library doesn't differ too much from what i can tell. Worth every cent.

Has a few recently released movies but most the of the popular older movies aren't on there. For example none of the fast and furious franchise. I find myself watching more TV series than movies though
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Cant get it on our Samsung Blu-ray player. So I rang the Netflix 1800 number.......Much to my surprise I spoke to someone in Utah (I was expecting 'Brian' in Pakistan)

It seems that Netflix are in talks with the manufacturers of older units to update them with the Netflix app.

So now I wait
Old 06-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ $100 WD Live media centre. Plug in, connect to wifi and stream Netflix.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #10
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Yep, we have it on trial and the thinking is we continue. We use the 'putor to make up a list then just play them on the TV - making selections on the TV is a PIA. Also being a cynical ol bastard (as well as cranky) I got myself a specific debt card so if I want to pull out I cancel the card because I had a mate join a gym and it took months to have deductions stopped.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
Hitman
Way over here

Yep, got it on my Xbox 360.
I got the $9 a month option, value for money!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

sounds like it's worth it for the money guys - shall investigate it further.

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #13
satria
FOXWHO

Can people please put up what internet speeds you are currently getting and what type or how many streams of Netflix you've been able to watch?

I'm curious to see what the minimum speeds required for HD streams.

Cheers
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I had my first look at a friends place the other day. It seems to not have current episodes of shows? Just full seasons of the last?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Their site is lacking info. They should post up their list of available programs you can watch.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Their site is lacking info. They should post up their list of available programs you can watch.
They do have a free trial for a month. Its the best way to see if its worth taking up.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I signed up for the free trial last week.

Over the Easter weekend, because it was wet, I thought I'd watch some old popular classics I'd never seen before...so did a search for "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest" and "Saturday Night Fever" arguably two of the most popular movies of all time and the search came back "Not Available", WTF?

I found it hard to find what they do have . A search on genre would be nice, or on the main actors name. Maybe they do have that, and I just couldn't find it, if so they need to make it easier to find.

Many of the movies I did find I'd never heard of so I guess they're made especially for Netflix.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Not that it helps now, but both of those movies are available via the US Netflix, so hopefully will filter through to the Aussie Netflix soon.

There are a lot of TV shows that Netflix has available in the US that you can't get locally. Believe it's related to rights that Aussie FTA, Foxtel, etc. have to these shows at the moment. Perhaps there are some movie studios that are tied up for the short term as well.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
Not that it helps now, but both of those movies are available via the US Netflix, so hopefully will filter through to the Aussie Netflix soon.

There are a lot of TV shows that Netflix has available in the US that you can't get locally. Believe it's related to rights that Aussie FTA, Foxtel, etc. have to these shows at the moment. Perhaps there are some movie studios that are tied up for the short term as well.
A VPN fixes geoblocking very quickly.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Nailz

Im liking it, Cost of a beer per month cant complain.

I run it on the ps4, Ipad and bought the chrome cast to stream it on the bedroom tv. Have streamed it on 2 devices at the same time with no issues,even when I only signed up for the cheapest option.

Another surprise bonus was as i was about to cancel foxtel and internet to get more data, Telstra doubled my downloads out of the blue for no extra cost.
Think Foxtel (Addtel) may be worried and rightly so,

I think the content will increase the month everyone starts paying, as it stands they haven't made money in oz yet off subscribers.

Only reason I keep Foxtel is i have a kid and its good for them, and for main event Pay per view.

Oh ADSL 2 - speed test about 10Mbps
Bought a dual band router Netgear D6200 which makes all the difference from my old modem.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate I saw HEAPS of kids shows on the XBOX360 version....you wont need Nickelodeon anymore.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #22
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I had my first look at a friends place the other day. It seems to not have current episodes of shows? Just full seasons of the last?
I'm in the US. That's the thing about Netflix - the current season isn't available. There's a way around it though, it's Hulu+. It's the same price as Netflix and the current season's episodes are available on Hulu+. With ads though, that's the down side of Hulu+. But after awhile you don't notice the ads as much.

If you can get Hulu+ in AU, see if you can get the free 1 wk trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsearcher
Pickup a googke chromecast if youre going to give Netflix a trial - it'll convert your existing tv into a smart one and you can use your phone / tablet to stream Netflix amongst other things.

Much more comfortable watching tv from your couch as opposed to sitting at your computer desk.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
You don't have to sit at your computer desk or stare at a laptop, just get one of those cable things. I think it's called an HTMI cable or something like that and connect it to your tv. Hope this helps.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #23
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Switched on the Wii U over the weekend expecting a Mario Kart 8 download (April 23 for those playing at home) and got a Netflix app instead.

We don't watch much TV (2-3 hours a day maximum) and not sure if the stream counts towards Telstra's download limits so not keen to take up Netflix. On ADSL2+ we get 24 Mbps download.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #24
Hitman
Way over here

My down speed is typically around 5Mbps
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I gave up on trying to get it on the Samsung BD player so I'm trying the playstation with crossed fingers

Hitman If you can get it at 5 Mbps, my 7Mbps (Tesltra's ADSL2 joke) will hopefully be ok.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #26
Nailz

Yeah the kids stuff doesnt have what the young fella likes at the moment which sucks, but it has new stuff.
Cant wait to see what it has in 6 months.

The only reason i keep Foxtel is i was on a really good package deal and cant get anything close to match it.

And the wife likes all those useless girly my brothers sister is my dad, that has a dance studio and bakes cakes and is the father to 17 kids.

Ill have to look into hulu, The thing that sucks is working away you cant take it with you, unless you do it another way which isn't technically street legal - or is it since i technically pay for it??
Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #27
Nailz

So just hit my download limit 200gig and been limited to 256k. lucky it resets soon.

Netflix still streams though. significant load time, bearable though. so anything more and you should be sweet.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #28
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

I signed up for the free trial of Netflix US, got it all running via UnblockUS VPN on my PS3.

Now the dilemma, Netflix website shows up no problem, but the browser won't allow me to click on any program content thumbnails, just the text hyperlinks! Do I have to install another browser onto the PS3 and/or something else? Believe me, I tried every setting possible, it just seems that the original browser is the problem.

Thanks!

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #29
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Bugger it, I've decided to give it a go.

Just signed up for the free trial at $11.99 per month.

Thanks to everyone for their input - muchly appreciated.

Cheers!

Old 09-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #30
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Netflix is the best. Been on it since launch day. Spools up to 720p within 22 seconds. Used well over 100GB in Netflix-only traffic in the fortnight. On the juicy iinet freezone so it's all good. I love it.

Also check out www.nitflux.co.nz for a laugh
2 users like this post: