Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #361
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
A Friend once said Americans have there Rs in everything except their Rs.
(Compare US Nissan, Mazda pronunciation to a common vulgar word for bottom that starts with A)
US pronunciation of 'Nissan' is closer to the Japanese pronunciation. Neither US nor AUS pronunciation of 'Mazda' are close to the Japanese pronunciation, though.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #362
5wheelguy

Why did the Australian Treasury create a new $5? It looks nice - yes... But all of the machines which can accept notes - can't read the new 5s, yet. (A generalization - I'm sure some machines can use them)

Shouldn't that be the #1 thing to look into before just - changing the damn currency lol?!
Old 07-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #363
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

The machines also have problems pushing them out when giving change. I've had two self service machines jam up when giving me change with the new notes.

Apparently the companies operating the machines had a long time of notice before the change was introduced and they failed to handle it.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 11:24 PM   #364
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is the natural environment full of dirt etc. but it never looks dirty, yet we are forever cleaning our man-made environments to stop them from becoming dirty?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #365
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Why is it the equality is all about evening up numbers rather than removing discrimination?
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #366
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is the natural environment full of dirt etc. but it never looks dirty, yet we are forever cleaning our man-made environments to stop them from becoming dirty?
Why are so many concerned about 'dirt', dirt will still be there long after "detol" no longer works.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #367
wackyv8
wackyv8

why is it .. that someone who has a holiday house locally on an 80km/h zoned section of country road, and isnt a permanent local resident, petitioned council and had speed reduced to 60km/h on that section of road, now only 2 weeks after the re-zoning has the house for sale?

the 80 zone worked fine for the last 6 years since it was downgraded from a 100 zone which sufficed from the times speed limits were introduced in Victoria. now its just a bloody pain in the **** , and an excellent speedtrap/revenue raising section . my gripe.
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #368
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyv8 View Post
why is it .. that someone who has a holiday house locally on an 80km/h zoned section of country road, and isnt a permanent local resident, petitioned council and had speed reduced to 60km/h on that section of road, now only 2 weeks after the re-zoning has the house for sale?

the 80 zone worked fine for the last 6 years since it was downgraded from a 100 zone which sufficed from the times speed limits were introduced in Victoria. now its just a bloody pain in the **** , and an excellent speedtrap/revenue raising section . my gripe.

You can read the For Sale sign easier when passing at 60kmh.

That type of thing is very annoying though.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #369
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
US pronunciation of 'Nissan' is closer to the Japanese pronunciation. Neither US nor AUS pronunciation of 'Mazda' are close to the Japanese pronunciation, though.
Then how do they explain HUN-DAY or JAG-WAA.

I had an Aussie mate not happy with his local council he insisted that he would "march up to city hall" and raise hell. I mean that's not even a thing in this country 😬

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #370
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
I've got a question which I'll get to in a sec but I decided to extend the thread subject to any "Why is it?" question just to see where it goes.

So here's my "why is it?"....

Why is it that the majority of young P platers still learning how to shave properly, have a need to be in front?

This morning I backed out onto the road and spotted the obligatory poorly blinged up rollerdoor with P plate coming into town at a great rate of knots, (it's 50kph past my place), so I took off and got up to speed a bit sharpish to avoid him saying hello to my tow bar. He slowed up and held station till we got out to the highway which is a T junction about 400m past the town limit, then when I pulled onto the highway I gave it a squirt up to the limit just to see what he would do. Boy racer must have pulled onto the highway 10 car lengths back and, in a fit of testosterone, floored it to pass me. But rather than back off at the limit when I was still in front of him, he kept his foot into it and passed me at WOT then roared off into the distance till he was 500m ahead then slowed to the limit; why is that?
I don't ever remember having the need to be in front unless they were traveling slower than me.

So who else has a "why is it?".
There are two types of P platers. Those who drive like maniacs have little or no regard for their own saftey. It's almost like russian roulette for a lot of them. The same 'types' will take drugs & engage in other risk taking behaviour. The other type of P plater is the more common thankfully, and whilst they may not be the best drivers, remember that they will be the ones most likely holding you up on the road, rather than threatening your life with driving lunacy. Note: I have held a licence for 32 years.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #371
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Why is it you can add any number of "accessories" to your car including modifying the suspension, put in a stupidly big and loud doof doof stereo if you like, a big a$$ bullbar, yep , that's ok, gas injection, no problem, but the second you mention you have touched the exhaust beyond putting a chrome tip on it, suddenly the car is uninsureable. Every insurance company except Shannons pulled the pin on me when I told them The BFIII wagon we just acquired was fitted with a full front to back "sports" exhaust. I mean, jeeeeeeez, it's only a set of extractors and a 1/12 inch system on a stock motor.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #372
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Why is it you can add any number of "accessories" to your car including modifying the suspension, put in a stupidly big and loud doof doof stereo if you like, a big a$$ bullbar, yep , that's ok, gas injection, no problem, but the second you mention you have touched the exhaust beyond putting a chrome tip on it, suddenly the car is uninsureable. Every insurance company except Shannons pulled the pin on me when I told them The BFIII wagon we just acquired was fitted with a full front to back "sports" exhaust. I mean, jeeeeeeez, it's only a set of extractors and a 1/12 inch system on a stock motor.
Facing the same issue mate, I don't get it
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #373
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

RAA insurance in SA didn't reject me but they'll only give market value on the car even though there's over $6k worth of accessories and upgrades listed in the policy statement. After much argument and haggling I got them to up the value by a whole $1000. I've got a cover note with them while I look for a better deal but it's a tough job at the moment.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #374
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people have to talk through the movies.
Yesterday went to see Hell or High Water, a movie about modern day bank robbers and a Texas Ranger trying to catch them.
So brother and I go to a tiny little theatre that is still screening it, 4 seats on one side of the isle, 2 on the other and about 12 rows, so quite small.
About 6 blokes in there, then 4 women in their late 40s and early 50s walk in and sit right in front of us.
Immediately start talking as the movie starts, then like teenagers start texting.
Brother gets peed off so goes and sits somewhere else.
Then they have to laugh out loud when something slightly humurous is said.
Bank robber movie, someones going to get shot, so why gasp in horror when it happens, get a grip.
Ruined the whole movie, 3 times I told them to shut up, no response, so then I started imitating them when they gasped in horror, but they didn't get my subtlety.
Anyway, rant over, sorry.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #375
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Which begs the question...

Is this rejection of insurance on a national database somewhere?

Every insurance asks the same question "has any other company declined you insurance for whatever reason?"...

I (we??) always say no, but I would love to run through a dummy quote and say yes just to see if they then knock me back.

What an odd question to ask anyway?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #376
xr8cam

Somehow, we are a huge risk to the insurance industry because we choose to fit an aftermarket exhaust. The same stupidity if your car has two doors. Just an opportunity to have different prices & rates, like most things here in Oz, we pay way over the average compared to other countries.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #377
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it I have the mental strength to stop smoking cold turkey but I do not have the mental strength to overcome my anxiety disorder?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 16-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #378
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it all Harley Davidson riders in the USofA are caucasian? I don't recall seeing any African-Americans riding HDs.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 16-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #379
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is it I have the mental strength to stop smoking cold turkey but I do not have the mental strength to overcome my anxiety disorder?
Some people only smoke because it's something to do and don't actually get hooked on nicotine. My aunty smoked for almost 4 decades because my grandma always did the quit on the spot. She found other things to occupie her time and has never gone back. I can go for weeks on end with out the need. Go to the pub though, and you only find the interesting people in the crowded smoking area, no one randomly asked is that chair taken then has a chat inside. Anxiety I'm not sure the explanation, it's different in every case. When I got hospitalised at the end of last year due to what the put down as gastro, having not eaten for a week and still throwing up and all the rest, I rocked up shaking uncontrollabley. They asked about anxiety, I replied no, just a high stress job and I've been off for a week and still hear from my manager everyday about things getting worse. They put it down as anxiety. I'm thinking they are right. This year at work was supposed to be different, it's not. Still understaffed. The wife blaming me for her dad's dimentia doesn't help, I didn't take his mind away. But everybody is in a different situation
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #380
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Why are so many concerned about 'dirt', dirt will still be there long after "detol" no longer works.
Advertising plays on anxiety & insecurity when selling cleaning products. "Dirt is bad'' or ''Children get sick''. Any level headed person knows the more dirt & germs we are exposed to keeps the immune system firing. Same with blue toilet water thingo's. People have been conditioned to think toilets are cleaner if the water is blue like the ocean (which isn't blue at all)
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 05:14 AM   #381
Lunch
Wait, what?

" The wife blaming me for her dad's dimentia doesn't help, I didn't take his mind away. "

Bit harsh isn't it
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 05:20 AM   #382
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
" The wife blaming me for her dad's dimentia doesn't help, I didn't take his mind away. "

Bit harsh isn't it
Its the way the situation comes across to me., out of my control but somehow it's my fault. People deal with issues in different ways, but the wife likes to have someone to blame for everything she cannot explain, kind of like people who sue the council for uneven pavement because they can't sue the tree for growing
Old 17-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #383
xr8cam

Quote:

Bit harsh isn't it
Whats harsh? The accusation or the retort? I know what I believe but on this forum....
Old 17-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #384
Lunch
Wait, what?

Sorry, should've made that clearer, his wife blaming him for the unfortunate condition her father has.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #385
Kicking back

Quote:
Sorry, should've made that clearer, his wife blaming him for the unfortunate condition her father has.
After proof reading what I wrote yesterday this morning, I probably should have worded it a bit better. I was in a bit of a mood at the time and didn't mean it to be read in anyway to be insulting to the condition my father in law has. It was more a reference to the way the wife has gone about the situation. You cannot go out and give someone a condition like that. Can't be done. That man has been more of a father then my own for the past 12 years, not saying anything bad about my dad, but the father in law went a similar career path back in the day and that heavily influenced my direction. My old man is a thinker and I'm a doer. Different paths. Just saying, anyhow back to the original direction of the thread, why is it booker rod comes in 3m legnths, cable tray in 4m legnths and unistrut in 6m legnths? They are all made by the same company, and you need them all to suspend a cable tray from a slab, yet you have to think about how many legnths you need of each to do the job.
Old 17-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #386
xr8cam

Very sad allround. It is one of the more cruel diseases that any of us can get. As for the threaded rods, I feel your pain. I always end up with heaps of the ones I don't need and 2 or 3 short for the job.
Old 17-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #387
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Why is it all Harley Davidson riders in the USofA are caucasian? I don't recall seeing any African-Americans riding HDs.
You've never heard of the Buffalo Soldiers MC or the Jim Crow MC Nation or the Black Harlem Motorcycle Club then? And see this list: http://blackmotorcycleclubs.us/

But perhaps it's a case of if you did see some them you wouldn't still be alive to ask the question.

Last edited by aussiblue; 17-01-2017 at 09:33 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #388
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
.....anyhow back to the original direction of the thread, why is it booker rod comes in 3m legnths, cable tray in 4m legnths and unistrut in 6m legnths? They are all made by the same company, and you need them all to suspend a cable tray from a slab, yet you have to think about how many legnths you need of each to do the job.
You wouldn't think too much about this until you're on the other end of the order process, but there could be a very good reason.

How many times to people order stuff without part numbers, or incorrect descriptions? And it's normally some young person in their first customer service role, processing orders, who has little product knowledge or experience to know all the quirks.

Someone at that company was smart when it came to working out ways to reduce processing errors. If you put down a 6m length, or multiples of 6, they know you want unistrut. Likewise if you asked for a 4m "strip" - then they know you want a cable tray.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #389
Lunch
Wait, what?

That for all the months of the year when there's only crap sport ( cricket ) on free tv, the picture is clear and flawless but as soon as semi decent sport ( Aus open ) begins, it's starts to break up and when proper sport starts ( AFL ) it's almost unwatchable..
Old 18-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #390
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
You've never heard of the Buffalo Soldiers MC or the Jim Crow MC Nation or the Black Harlem Motorcycle Club then? And see this list: http://blackmotorcycleclubs.us/

But perhaps it's a case of if you did see some them you wouldn't still be alive to ask the question.
I honestly never heard of them. Learnt something new today.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides