Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #31
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Most useles piece of technology ever?

I believe the starter motor is also specifically built for start/stop.

More $$$ if it goes bang.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #32
.:4:.
Kicking back

What about automatic reverse parallel park? Last time I checked it's not that hard, but now it's allowed in the p plate test. What happens when you borrow mums Benz for the test, then jump back into your VN berlina and try to park... useless technology. I call them eyes. I have had the stresses and successes of reverse parallel parking a 7m boat trailer (5.8m boat) before and mirrors work fine, I doubt there are enough sensors in the world to make a VF commodore do that
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #33
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Anyone that needs a computer to park their car for them should not have a drivers license. People can argue that it's just a handy little gizmo to take the stress out of driving and that they don't use it all the time but I know for a fact that there are plenty out there who would be using it every single time... and ultimately this comes at the expense of their driving skills and experience. Use it or lose it I say.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #34
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Anyone that needs a computer to park their car for them should not have a drivers license. People can argue that it's just a handy little gizmo to take the stress out of driving and that they don't use it all the time but I know for a fact that there are plenty out there who would be using it every single time... and ultimately this comes at the expense of their driving skills and experience. Use it or lose it I say.
How does it work insurance wise? My mums b200 (I refuse to even drive it as she bought the first car sold to her when looking for a wagon for space when trading a dinosaur but large ml320) has it and she now can't live without it. She had a few at fault claims backing the ml into things, but what if a sensor fails. What's the claim... the car did it?. Mirrors, eyes and a turned neck. Not that hard.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #35
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Yerp, plus the extra wear on starter motors.

Stop/start is just a gimmick and will likely go away in time.
I thought the same as you, re: starter motors, but I read up on how it works and actually it doesn't put any stress on the starter motor.

Keeps 1 of the cylinders at just past TDC, then fires that one first when going to move away again and that kicks the engine to life.

Actually quite smart once I read about it..

Granted it would still annoy the hell out of me, but still.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #36
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was in Germany, I was at a laundromat which was adjacent to a railway crossing on a busy road. A train would approach, the boom gates come down, the traffic stops and just about every driver shut down their engine for the minute or so it took for the crossing to be open again.
Is this normal for some driving cultures?
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #37
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Reclining bucket seats in a ute is another one that comes to mind
So you think no adjustment would be better, I can't stand sitting forward close to the wheel.

I can't believe some people who think because it's a ute it has to be backwards crap to fit in with there concept of what a ute must be, a ruff riding ill handling bucked of trash. but when I inform them that a ute can handle and ride just as well as a sedan they don't believe it.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #38
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The electric hand brake! why complicate such a simple device. You can't use it as an emergency brake any more because you can no longer control how hard it is applied.
(No more bootlegger's turns!)
Old 13-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #39
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I'm a fan of stop-start. At least, in my limited experience driving a couple of manuals in Europe.

Over there several countries have a traffic light logic where instead of an instantaneous Red->Green change, there's a 1 second blip of the Yellow. This seemed to work seamlessly with auto stop-start, whether I was at the front of the lights or in the middle of the queue.

I guess over here with the instant Red->Green it'd cause a few horns to blare.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #40
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
What about automatic reverse parallel park? Last time I checked it's not that hard, but now it's allowed in the p plate test. What happens when you borrow mums Benz for the test, then jump back into your VN berlina and try to park... useless technology. I call them eyes. I have had the stresses and successes of reverse parallel parking a 7m boat trailer (5.8m boat) before and mirrors work fine, I doubt there are enough sensors in the world to make a VF commodore do that
I believe the new Ford F series Superduty has trailer part assist. That can back in a trailer.

I have very rarely thought of any new tech has been useless, all have a use in some way.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #41
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder how the trailer park assist knows where the back of the trailer is or where you want it to go.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #42
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Wonder how the trailer park assist knows where the back of the trailer is or where you want it to go.
Its probably a 5k option to get the trailer fitted. Are reverse sensor waterproof for use on a boat trailer?
Old 13-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #43
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hydrogen Fuel Cells.
Right, so we take electricity and use that to electrolyse water into Hydrogen and Oxygen, wasting half the power in the process.
Then we use this expensive, inefficient, and dangerous technology to convert the Hydrogen BACK into Electricity.
And this gives us LESS range than the battery technology it was meant to replace. Brilliant.

Even better when you want to implement it in a country that generates the majority of power from fossil fuels.

Actually consider the redundancy, inefficiency, and waste, I can understand why politicians and bureaucrats love it.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #44
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Hydrogen Fuel Cells.
Right, so we take electricity and use that to electrolyse water into Hydrogen and Oxygen, wasting half the power in the process.
Then we use this expensive, inefficient, and dangerous technology to convert the Hydrogen BACK into Electricity.
And this gives us LESS range than the battery technology it was meant to replace. Brilliant.

Even better when you want to implement it in a country that generates the majority of power from fossil fuels.

Actually consider the redundancy, inefficiency, and waste, I can understand why politicians and bureaucrats love it.
How do you sit on wind turbines on still days? Or even better, solar power on cloudy days?. As a sparky, we have to have a solid backup, hydro works, but you need to dam a lot of rivers, so untill they either run out of fuel for the power stations, or find a better heat source then nucleur ( no good) then we just have to live with it.
Old 13-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #45
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon's steering wheel controls. Useless at night because you can't see them. One of the very few vehicles on this planet that doesn't have them illuminated.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #46
Spurious

"computer"!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #47
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post
"computer"!!!
It doesn't matter how "smart" computers get, they still do what the user tells them to, to an extent. User error is still a big problem with today's society
Old 14-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #48
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day , Remember in the mid to late 1990's one or two car manufacturers (Mazda was one) introduced four wheel steer cars..what a revelation that was.....I also recall the head of BMW being interviewed on that subject a year or two on from a couple of competitors trying FWS. and Bimmer wasn't .His answer.."..Why would we want to when our cars handle as good as they do " prophetic words because look where that finished..Kind of sums up the modern car industry actually..How often does the gizmo list of a car take precedence over how the car actually goes , economy etc...more often than many might think..Of car innovation that do make safety sense and I'm sure Falcon/Territory would have brought in eventually would have been Lane Departure warning and blind spot monitoring..but ....geez... frustratingly annoying one has to be parking assist..
Bloody hell...if you need the car to park for you maybe you shouldn't have passed a driving test yet...Technology is good and bad , especially in automotive regard..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #49
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be funny once kids who are brought up with these automatic reverse parking gizmos sit a truck test where you have to reverse park a semi.

In two minutes if my recollection is correct.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post