Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
xp_wannabe

Default How to remove and replace radiator:

Hey guys, I had a look in the AFF Technical Docs but couldn't find anything specific.

Im going to be replacing my cracked radiator tomorrow in my AU2 XR6 (manual) with a new one.

I am assuming the procedure to remove the old radiator will go something like this:

1. Drop coolant and remove all hoses
2. Unbolt condensor assembly from radiator
3. Unplug wiring harness to thermo fans
4. Unbolt radiator assembly from car
5. Remove radiator and fans as one unit

Does this sound feasible? It looks easy enough to get in behind the grill to unbolt the condensor from the radiator.

I am then going to remove the thermostat, and flush the block with the engine running (with the heater on).

I will then fit the new radiator, and flush the whole system a few times again.

I was thinking I could re-attach all the hoses, except the top hose where it joins the thermo housing. I could point the top hose to the ground, put the garden hose in the thermostat housing and flush the system like this. Would this work or does it need to be done opposite?

Then I will fill with coolant and demineralised water, and drive... The radiator shop is going to pressure test for me on Monday.

Any tips or hints will be much appreciated!

Thanks, Mark

xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'd be removing the thermo fans before removing the rad
it's really quite a simple job
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate ,i have an au with the standard grill and found removing that made it heaps easy to get the top to bolts for the condensor (ac thing).
actualy if you want to buy a tool thats worth its weight in gold ,go to repco or autobarn a buy a 10mm spanner with that socket stile ratchet system at the end .fits a lot of tricky areas other than the radiator /thermo's/condensor.best tool i ever bought.
its a pretty easy sort of job to do .

ps. to flush the system ,there is a bung plug on the base of the radiator to flush it.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_wannabe
Hey guys, I had a look in the AFF Technical Docs but couldn't find anything specific.

Im going to be replacing my cracked radiator tomorrow in my AU2 XR6 (manual) with a new one.

I am assuming the procedure to remove the old radiator will go something like this:

2. Unbolt condensor assembly from radiator
3. Unplug wiring harness to thermo fans
4. Unbolt radiator assembly from car
5. Remove radiator and fans as one unit

Does this sound feasible? It looks easy enough to get in behind the grill to unbolt the condensor from the radiator.

I am then going to remove the thermostat, and flush the block with the engine running (with the heater on).

I will then fit the new radiator, and flush the whole system a few times again.

I was thinking I could re-attach all the hoses, except the top hose where it joins the thermo housing. I could point the top hose to the ground, put the garden hose in the thermostat housing and flush the system like this. Would this work or does it need to be done opposite?

Then I will fill with coolant and demineralised water, and drive... The radiator shop is going to pressure test for me on Monday.

Any tips or hints will be much appreciated!

Thanks, Mark
close
  2. Unplug wiring harness to thermo fans and remove fans
  3. dissconect transmission cooler lines in auto
  4. Unbolt condensor assembly from radiator
  5. Unbolt radiator assembly from carRemove radiator
it's a good idea to give the block a good flush while the radiator is out

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

One thing I always do is turn the bottom radiator hose clamp to face up, so you can get to it from the top rather than underneath.
Usually means removing the tray.

If it has never been removed they will have little round caps on them, just pry off to see the screw head.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm going to tackle this on a V8 this weekend and I think I am pretty right with getting the radiator out but I am trying to find some info on the best way to flush the block while I have everything apart.

Am i right in thinking that if i drop all the coolant out of the radiator by opening the bung in the bottom of it, leaving it open, and then putting the hose into the coolant resevoir, running the hose and running the car with the heater on, that it will flush all the block and hoses? Or should I do it another way?

First time I've done this so all a bit new to me.
Old 18-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default Re: How to remove and replace radiator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I'm going to tackle this on a V8 this weekend and I think I am pretty right with getting the radiator out but I am trying to find some info on the best way to flush the block while I have everything apart.

Am i right in thinking that if i drop all the coolant out of the radiator by opening the bung in the bottom of it, leaving it open, and then putting the hose into the coolant resevoir, running the hose and running the car with the heater on, that it will flush all the block and hoses? Or should I do it another way?

First time I've done this so all a bit new to me.
Only using the drain wont flush the block thoroughly.

Either buy yourself a flush gun (uses water and compressed air) or use my washing soda technique.
Old 18-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSR
Only using the drain wont flush the block thoroughly.

Either buy yourself a flush gun (uses water and compressed air) or use my washing soda technique.
You're about a week too late but I was happy with how mine came out - clean water after a few minutes and I flushed it for about 20 mins.
Old 19-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
You're about a week too late but I was happy with how mine came out - clean water after a few minutes and I flushed it for about 20 mins.
Better late than never
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
jonohall

Here's a great how to guide with photos in pdf form. Really helped me out when I did my radiator a couple of months back.

File name: ebook_-_radiator_replace.pdf File size: 1.24 MB
jonohall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Mr. JaTT
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohall
Here's a great how to guide with photos in pdf form. Really helped me out when I did my radiator a couple of months back.

Hi,
this link seem to be out dated is it possible to get link to this file

Thanks
JaTT
Mr. JaTT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
it's a good idea to give the block a good flush while the radiator is out
Sorry to hijack the thread, but whats the most recommended way to do a block flush?
Old 13-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #13
Bradleyjames
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohall View Post

Sorry to bring up old stuff , but does anybody have this document and willing to share ?
Bradleyjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post