Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #31
lgpking22

Default Re: Margaret Court

have a whinge and get over it you old nobody
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #32
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpking22 View Post
have a whinge and get over it you old nobody
The 'old nobody' has probably done a lot more that you, regardless of her views. ;)
Old 28-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #33
superyob
Banned

If the issue was so 'inline with community standards' then why was the plebiscite not allowed? O that's right, the supporters in favour of, suddenly realised that they were going to lose...
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #34
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Fair enough. So you trust our politicians to decide the issue?

Would not the public be more accepting of the outcome if we all marked yes or no?

Really, my point was the plebiscite could have been done and dusted if Labor and Greens main interest was marriage equality instead of politics. It would have passed like it did in Ireland imo.

The one thing about politics is it always wastes time and money. Why would you object to money being spent on this particular issue?

So what if people put forward passionate arguments for their cause. Isn't that what democracy is about? Should we be scared of a debate? Should we shut down debate on the grounds of hurt feelings. Like any issue there are a range of issues and views. We should never suppress views we should encourage expressing them.

This is how concensus is reached.
Thats why you vote them in, to make the big decisions. You can't hold a plebiscite for every contentious issue. At some point the Australian public has to make their govt actually govern. It's not a popularity contest.

As for the point of being scared of a debate?
Of course not, the trouble is the modern idea of a debate is exactly what you saw on the project the other night. One person being ganged up on and ridiculed because their opinion is different.
All a plebiscite will do is ensure more of that, from both sides of the argument.

Oh, and the big kicker? A plebiscite isn't even binding. It literally means nothing.

If you really think it's an issue each voter should be having their say on then it needs to be a referendum, done at election time.

And just in case you're thinking I'm against gay marriage, I'm not. I literally don't care because Im not gay, nor am I religious or married and the very idea of marriage is somewhat antiquated in my opinion.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #35
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

What I find amazing is that she is ridiculed so much for her opinion on what is the current legal standing.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #36
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
If the issue was so 'inline with community standards' then why was the plebiscite not allowed? O that's right, the supporters in favour of, suddenly realised that they were going to lose...
Issues like this simply aren't important to that many people. I know the latte set in places like Newtown would like to think they are, and conveniently these are the sort of people that make up most of the media. But those people simply aren't remotely representative of much of Australia. If they took it to a vote, I think they might be shocked at the result. FFS, we vote in the likes of Clive Palmer, Pauline Hanson.... and the people I described above are always so shocked come election time. They need to open their eyes and actually see who lives here.
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #37
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Thats why you vote them in, to make the big decisions. You can't hold a plebiscite for every contentious issue. At some point the Australian public has to make their govt actually govern. It's not a popularity contest.

As for the point of being scared of a debate?
Of course not, the trouble is the modern idea of a debate is exactly what you saw on the project the other night. One person being ganged up on and ridiculed because their opinion is different.
All a plebiscite will do is ensure more of that, from both sides of the argument.

Oh, and the big kicker? A plebiscite isn't even binding. It literally means nothing.

If you really think it's an issue each voter should be having their say on then it needs to be a referendum, done at election time.

And just in case you're thinking I'm against gay marriage, I'm not. I literally don't care because Im not gay, nor am I religious or married and the very idea of marriage is somewhat antiquated in my opinion.
I'm not sure which election but pretty sure the coalition had the plebiscite in their platform.

Doesn't appear to me the Pollies are doing much governing on this issue its still dragging on. So much for paying them the big bucks to make decisons.

You would hardly have a plebiscite and not respect the result, political suicide. Technically, yes its not binding but it would be a formality to pass (if that was the result).

A referendum has higher hurdles to pass, majority of people in majority of states.

Sometimes I think those that are solid supporters of gay marriage because they are at their position they think everyone should adjust like they have. Its actually a fundamental change to a important founding block of society.

Times change a yes vote would provide legitimacy where politicians can't imo.

If we had of just had the plebiscite (set for Feb this year) the issue would be over and no one would care what the project or Margaret had to say and this thread would not exist.
Old 28-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #38
adz193
EL XR6

I give this thread a week before it's closed... popcorn please, following

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
Old 28-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #39
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
I give this thread a week before it's closed... popcorn please, following
For fun ill take you on.

Bunch of car blokes arguing for or against SSM, whose gonna get heavily invested in that argument.
Old 28-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #40
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
For fun ill take you on.

Bunch of car blokes arguing for or against SSM, whose gonna get heavily invested in that argument.
Give people something to debate (argue) over and chances are it'll happen. I'm sure there are people here with more of an interest than you think...

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
Old 28-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #41
Danny
GT4.

Pretty sad though that our gay or unsure kids are dying over the issue for fear of being ostracised, rejected, bullied, and hurt by those around them. Yet we still have absolute grubs and despicables.. ADULTS (like some on this forum) who snicker, laugh, spread their hate and ignorance and treat this matter like it's annoying and insignificant.

I'm not one of the regressive left.. No dreadlocks, I eat meat, and don't drink coffee, hell I'm a tradie who wears flouro and drives and xr6t Ute FFS!! Once upon a time when I was young, I may have felt differently, but age and intelligence have attuned me to the thought of children - babies, YOUR children, killing themselves because they are afraid of living in a world where people like Margaret Court trivialise their partnerships, reject their very humanity and laugh and hate them for something they can not change?

It. Is. So. F****ng. Sad....
7 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
You good sir have just saved me the pain of also having my ******* waxed.
Old 28-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #43
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everybody has the right to an opinion, but these days if you disagree with the beige cardigan mob or the politically correct suck ups then your either a racist or a grub. She has a right to say what she likes,the court was named after her because of her sporting excellence which by the way has nothing to do with SS Marriage.
Old 29-05-2017, 01:47 AM   #44
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got no beef with adults of whatever sexual persuasion wanting to commit to one other and in their union have exact same legal rights as a married couple.

Thing is - the definition of marriage is last time I did that family law crap in the temple of shattered dreams was a union between a man and a woman.

So- a woman and a woman cannot be married. Neither can a man and a man.

But like language changing meaning, law changes also. Perhaps it is time for the law to change to say marriage is between 2 consenting adults whatever the sexual orientation.

Or maybe not. Perhaps save marriage for man and woman for the traditional custom and history of that that has been for a few hundred years, and for a union of 2 adults of similar sex give them a union of identical legal rights but another name for the legal union- ie a melding- I am melded to her/him etc or whatever.

I can see both sides, same sex couples wanting a legitimate labeling, as well as some in society wanting to preserve the history and tradition of marriage as a custom of being a union of man and woman.

But- everyone is entitled to their views as long as they do not incite hatred. But there is one truth- if same sex couples join that marvelous institution of marriage they will also get to go for worship at the temple of shattered dreams, and have just so much fun- at the grim Family Court.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 29-05-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 29-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #45
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
But- everyone is entitled to their views as long as they do not incite hatred. But there is one truth- if same sex couples join that marvelous institution of marriage they will also get to go for worship at the temple of shattered dreams, and have just so much fun- at the grim Family Court.
Wow, you have gone there already?

As long as no one has an agenda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

Just because!!
Old 29-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #46
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Another sloppy attack from The Project crew.

I don't agree with Margaret but the hosts behaviour was pathetic.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #47
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

She has the right to express her personal opinion. It's a reflection of a moderate society. People have differing opinions on all sorts of topics, this is just one of them.

At least we can talk about it openly and have the capacity to openly discuss and move in certain directions without recrimination.....or have we lost that now ?

Anyways....Could be worse
https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/05/19/...ogging-gay-men

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #48
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
She has the right to express her personal opinion. It's a reflection of a moderate society.

This- a moderate society should allow "reasonable "discussion of all topics and ones views, including climate change etc, etc, because the broad collective input of all is better than just the narrow select input of a few.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 29-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #49
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
You good sir have just saved me the pain of also having my ******* waxed.
Nice to see this thread being of some use...
Old 29-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #50
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

double post

Last edited by smoo; 29-05-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 29-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #51
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Pretty sad though that our gay or unsure kids are dying over the issue for fear of being ostracised, rejected, bullied, and hurt by those around them. Yet we still have absolute grubs and despicables.. ADULTS (like some on this forum) who snicker, laugh, spread their hate and ignorance and treat this matter like it's annoying and insignificant.

I'm not one of the regressive left.. No dreadlocks, I eat meat, and don't drink coffee, hell I'm a tradie who wears flouro and drives and xr6t Ute FFS!! Once upon a time when I was young, I may have felt differently, but age and intelligence have attuned me to the thought of children - babies, YOUR children, killing themselves because they are afraid of living in a world where people like Margaret Court trivialise their partnerships, reject their very humanity and laugh and hate them for something they can not change?

It. Is. So. F****ng. Sad....
Not to down play suicide in any way, but this comes across as an exaggerated emotional guilt trip directed towards anyone who doesn't agree with same sex marriage or relationships. To not agree with same sex marriage doesn't automatically make that person a hater or ignorant. It also doesn't imply that person wants to deny them the right to be who they are.

Can you point out to where a member on here has gained satisfaction from someone vulnerable taking their own life regardless of their sexuality?
I can reference death threats, violent altercations, destroyed livelihoods etc for anyone who is brave enough to simply disagree with homosexuality across the western world. At the same time these freals on a witch hunt don't seem too worried about homophobic hip hop lyrics or imported cultures. Actually they seem to encourage it.

The media like creating a storm in a tea cup when there's a perceived homophobic (or transphobic) click bait story to be told. We even get irrelevant left over crap from the USA headlining here. It gets the social justice warriors fired up. This is a prime example. There are more destructive pressing issues our communities are facing.
6 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #52
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I can reference death threats, violent altercations, destroyed livelihoods etc for anyone who is brave enough to simply disagree with homosexuality across the western world.
I believe the topic was marriage equality. Simply disagreeing with homosexuality is like simply disagreeing with red hair or people who are short...
Old 29-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #53
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

The quality of many of the contributions here is a disgrace.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread