Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Do you use octane booster with your PULP
Yes 4 28.57%
No 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Octane Booster

Just wondering who uses octane booster with PULP and if they notice a differance in power output ect.

FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
omg

The best retail octane boosters cost around $25 and bring the octane rating up close to 98 octane fuel. Filling up with 98 octane costs you an extra $2 or so.
omg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

If you run PULP with an octane booster, there is a chance of advancing the timing to take advantage of the higher octane. I remember reading something in street machine about running BP Ultimate with Nulon Octane Boost and being able to gain an extra 25hp via ignition timing advance. Of course it was making a fair few HP in the first place if I recall.

Give it a go I say, see what happens. Certainly wont hurt.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
If you run PULP with an octane booster, there is a chance of advancing the timing to take advantage of the higher octane. I remember reading something in street machine about running BP Ultimate with Nulon Octane Boost and being able to gain an extra 25hp via ignition timing advance. Of course it was making a fair few HP in the first place if I recall.

Give it a go I say, see what happens. Certainly wont hurt.
Yes i remember that article well. The ultimate and optimax with the pro strength octane boost by nulon made better horsepower figures on the dyno than avgas. I buy the nulon octane boost in the 4litre drum for around $90-$99. Its last me quite a long time and the car runs great with this and the 98premiums. I didn't advance timing though as i am running 11.8:1 comp and it pings and runs on pretty bad without the high octane fuel. It helps a fair bit with some imports i think as they automatically up the timing and get better performance instantly and they have built in retard devices or something which retards it when running ИИИИ fuel. Don't know if the mondeos-focus have anything like that? But even in my stocko XF i run 98fuel. I find i get slightly better fuel economy and its gotta be better for the car in the long run.
Old 17-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

The knock sensor in a Focus will retard the timing for poor fuel, but won't advance the timing for anything past 95RON. That's right isn't it Matt?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

That's correct for the LR, the LS isn't designed to tune beyond the capabilities of 98RON afaik.

However I have used a bottle of STP booster with a tank of 95 RON Vortex in my LR, I'm cursed with living in Victoria (some would say that's bad enough) and having to put up with Vortex 95 on my Caltex fuel card, there's no Vortex 98 here.... as soon as it's available I'm on it. Due to my lease I have no choice on fuel company. 95 runs perfectly well, not exactly exciting but on 95 with a bottle of octane booster she's absolutely insanely smooth and powerful. I need to test more than one full tank and bottle but so far I'm more than highly impressed.

It shouldn't really make much difference with 98 RON and booster in an LR, not as much as 95 + booster.