Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

View Poll Results: Is Drag Racing "Real Motorsport"?
Yes I beleive it is, even if I dont prefer it over other forms of racing 165 89.67%
No it is not real motorsport 17 9.24%
I Have no idea 2 1.09%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #31
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
There is skill in the building of a drag car, and skill in the launch, and skill in the racing...... everytime you hit the track you aim to do the best you and your machine can do, just the same with every other sport..

Oh and by the way i can drift in my EL in the wet too, obviously what you do and classify as drifting

Those who say its not a motorsport haven't raced, or don't have the guts to get out and try it.....

But i would luv to hear what you call it if its not motorsport.....

Well said Melz :jab:
Old 25-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #32
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I new that comment of mine would get a few feathers ruffled, just didn't think someone would actually cry about tho... Oh well..

But seriously drag racing is fun and I do enjoy it, but some of you who go out there and run your automatic car for 400m and claim King, king of what.. Your really good at standing on the accelerator, stalling your car up to 3000rpm and letting your foot of the brake.... Where's the skill in that apart from bettering your best reaction time, I am unable to see were huge amounts human skill become involved because the auto transmission changes gear for, all you have to do is hold the peddle flat for 400m. I dare you to achieve the same results in the same car but only this time do it with a manual.. In my opinion it is not a sport until you start getting into the serious stuff such as funny cars Funny Cars and the like. Then were talking Motorsport. It like comparing surfing a surf board and riding a blow up surf mat. One take a lot of skill the is fun

So here's my opinion....

If your racing a purpose built drag car :yes, it is a motorsport
If drag racing a car capable of sub 11 pass in competition: yes it is a motorsport
If your racing a street car at a TnT, I call it a social...

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 25-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #33
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

To suggest that it isn't a form of Motor Sport is to be elitist. Every form of competitve event that involves a car and a driver where there is a degree of skill involved and set criteria qualifies. From the simplest club Motorkhana through to F1 they are all iterations of the same basic concept - to pit your machinery and skills against another.

Likewise, it isn't the machinery used that defines whether it is a sport otherwise one could argue that HQ racing or other forms of relatively inexpensive motor sport don't qualify either when compared to V8SC or F1. They do. By the logic applied above a day spent punting an auto GT-P around a track in a competitive event isn't motor sport either - bugger me, I'll have to take up macrame or basket weaving next time to get the competitive juices flowing because I have obviously wasted the last 30 years and don't deserve the trophies in the cupboard.

Much as I don't like Drift (mostly because of the subjective scoring system), it does meet the basic criteria outlined above and thus qualifies as a form of Motor Sport.

More than a third of Olympic events are based on subjective criteria and I don't see anyone suggesting they aren't competitive sports.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 25-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #34
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately a motorsport. Drag racing is all about consistancy. It's not that easy to be consistant.

Jabba : No one drag races in D for dumb. Well maybe a computer controlled auto might? Anyone with a fast car actually has to change gears manually.

Tuned by Hallam Performance

Last edited by brenx; 25-06-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 25-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #35
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
So here's my opinion....

Like doing a track day at the island?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 25-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #36
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
lets see.. if drag racing is not a motor sport than any 100m sprint ever ran at the Olympics, Comm games, world championships, Euro champs, nat champs, state champs, regional, local, interschool, school, grade, class and little athletics better get called a non real sport.. its EXACTLY the same thing!

It has an unbiased start, a fixed length and a finish where a clear winner can be decieded based on who crosses the line first. If that isnt a classic "race" than what is?
Well said mate and I agree.

Of course Drag Racing is a real sport.

Fair enough you only go in a straight line, for 400 metres, but I would like to see the people who bag it and say going in a straight line requires no skill, jump into a 8000HP Top Fueler and do 0-300Km/h in less then 2 seconds and hold it, without losing control.
Old 25-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Drag racing is most definitley a real motorsport.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 25-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #38
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Not only does it take skill, have a look at the nitro cars/bikes it takes a great deal of courage to steer a that amount of power down 400 meters with more G-Forces than the space shuttle.

Best thing about drag racing everyone can have a go, DYO is a great equalizer regardless of your budget.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 25-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #39
FLUB378

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Definately a motorsport. Drag racing is all about consistancy. It's not that easy to be consistant.

Jabba : No one drag races in D for dumb. Well maybe a computer controlled auto might? Anyone with a fast actually has to change gears manually.
Well said, that shows who are the drag racers competing and who go to 1 TnT in their stocker and say "that was easy, I can understand what all the fuss is about!"
Old 25-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #40
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
I new that comment of mine would get a few feathers ruffled, just didn't think someone would actually cry about tho... Oh well..
Crying? Nope. Discussion and questions? Yes. OMG, that is what we DO in a forum! You should feel privileged that you have started such an interesting debate!

Quote:
But seriously drag racing is fun and I do enjoy it, but some of you who go out there and run your automatic car for 400m and claim King, king of what.. Your really good at standing on the accelerator, stalling your car up to 3000rpm and letting your foot of the brake.... Where's the skill in that apart from bettering you best reaction time, I am unable to see were huge amounts human skill become involved because the auto transmission changes gear for, all you have to do is hold the peddle flat for 400m.. In my opinion it is not a sport until you start getting into the serious stuff such as funny cars Funny Cars. Then were talking Motorsport. It like comparing surfing a surf board and riding a blow up surf mat...
Not everyone races an auto on the 1/4 mile. I dont. Now, I have done a few things in my life time. I have driven both autos and manuals of various cars on a circuit (a relatively difficult one, Mallala) and also taken my MANUAL 5 speed BA down the strip at Heathcote on quite a few occasions too. Now, from personal experience it DOES take some skill to launch a manual, 5 speed, heavy BA 6 cyl off the line with a dodgy, very slippery clutch and NO LSD! I have somehow managed to do that and get a reasonable 60 foot time of 2.23, and a PB ET of 14.80. My car has also done 95.33 mph. I also have a reasonably painful busted left foot. Please dont comment on the skill level of people who do this sort of thing. I am SURE without doubt that there is someone who could get a better time in my car than myself, but that just means they have MORE skill in something that is quite difficult to do!

Driving on a circuit is a very different thing, I grant you that. However, in some ways is not so difficult. You usually only race on a circuit in a car that is very well set up for it or there is no point, so braking is not so much of an issue as the brakes usually cut it anyway. As does suspension and set up generally. Obviously it very much depends on the level at which you are racing, such as in the V8 SC series, that would be seriously difficult. However, those of us who do it in only a semi-serious manner I dont think would find it much more difficult to do than any other sport at that equivalent level.

I personally, find both challenging at that level - and I am not that good at either of them. Both require a lot of experience in learning when to change gears at the best time, changing gears quickly as to not lose ET or maximise acceleration coming out of a corner - either way a slow gear change can cost. Launching is also a drama on a circuit if you are looking to beat a lap PB or actually race another car.

If you are not racing in the V8SC, you have more room to make a mistake and make it up on a circuit as you have more time and opportunities... if you slip up only to the tune of 100th of a sec on a 1/4 mile, your ET is poo... and the earlier you make the mistake, the bigger the cost at the other end.

And that doesnt change whether you have auto or manual. I have taken an auto down the track too, and found it very difficult to launch. And I think ANY reasonably powerful car will be difficult to launch, regardless of auto or manual as you have to avoid wheelspin at all costs as it wastes valuable time. In fact I think it is harder to launch an auto in a way, as for the most part you cant really stall it up as much as in a manual and you have less control over the launch without a clutch, even though you can actually change auto gears in a semi manual fashion. I know that many will disagree on the auto v manual thing, and think that auto is easier. Please note that it is just my personal opinion, as I have had very minimal experience racing autos and even driving them generally over my life time.

I think both are difficult enough to do PROPERLY to be considered a sport, and I dont think that auto or manual make any difference, and it certainly shouldnt be assumed that everyone drags in autos!

Both are also quite costly to do properly, so as to have a car that is not only powerful but well set up!
So here's my opinion....

Quote:
How do you define the difference? What about racing a street car, but what if its running semi slicks on the night (not cheap), what if it is a street car but it has had $10K worth of go fast mods spent on it, to improve set up and power to the tune of increasing in tenths of a second? What if it is a street car but it is also an R&D guinea pig for a high end workshop in order to improve times in the future for a group of cars?

My car is a street car. It has a baby capsule in the back and will have removable car seat next time I drag. It transports my two oldest kids to school and my other to various appointments. I use it to get to work and to do my shopping. I have also spent a lot of money on it to get it faster for the 1/4 mile and will be spending a lot more on it. It is not a dedicated drag car and it probably will never do any better than a low 13 second pass, and I will probably never be the best driver to run it either.

But I consider what I do a sport. I travel interstate to do it, which is more than social. I want a PB. I have also raced in bracket racing and have come runner up, so there is the competitive element.

It is just as much as a sport as my son's Saturday footy game in the under 10s...

So if I am not participating in a motorsport, then I will take my Ford tomorrow and trade it in on a Datto 120Y and just give up on drag racing altogether!

Geesh!

: Cobra :
Old 25-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #41
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=jabba] I dare you to achieve the same results in the same car but only this time do it with a manual.

I think Kev and Whoosha would beg to differ.
Old 25-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #42
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Social event, aka the forums day, no, its a social event, it is meant to be a family day where your partner can jump in your car and have the same thrill as yourself, take it away from a social scene then yes, it is a motor sport.

Only the anally challenged will play for sheep stations on social events, and refuse to get into the spirit of the event the same people fail to offer encouragement and turn to snide remarks because a person runs a slow time or cannot stage properly.
Old 25-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #43
xd5.8l
Banned

I set out to rewrite the stock 5L record books. The dyno day at G&D was the iceing on the cake in a way.

100 kgs heavier then xr8 + me 100kg = rediculously hard driving

You go out there to compete against yourself, sure beating people along the way is a bonus but its not my objective anyway. So to answer the question yes it is a sport because its challenging on all fronts.
Old 25-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #44
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Only the anally challenged will play for sheep stations on social events, and refuse to get into the spirit of the event the same people fail to offer encouragement and turn to snide remarks because a person runs a slow time or cannot stage properly.
I agree, that at an event like that people should not bag anyone else's attempts and that it should be fun. However, fun and competition/sport are not mutually exclusive. You can undertake a primarily social activity, have it considered to be a sport, have fun and be a GOOD SPORT all at the same time. People spend a lot of money to get good times at Heathcote and take their OWN performance seriously, while always appreciating the attempts and enjoyment of others too... its about balance.

Old 25-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #45
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
.... so whoever huffs the most wang wins.
LMAO...reminds me of a regurgitator song i heard once

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
Old 25-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #46
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Like doing a track day at the island?
Yes.......But it take more balls to go flat out through turn 1 then it does to go flat out down the 1/4....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 25-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #47
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most definately a motorsport! Biggest difference between it and roundy roundys is at least if you make a mistake you have more laps up your sleeve to correct it. Drag Racing one mistake and either A- you dont qualify at all or B -your a spectator for the rest of the meeting. Check the results from the Winternationals and any other major meeting and see how many races were decided by thousandths of a second, not half a lap or more which is common in circuit racing.
Old 25-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #48
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Yes.......But it take more balls to go flat out through turn 1 then it does to go flat out down the 1/4....
I give you that yes. It takes more balls to play a full body contact sport without the full protective gear (ie AFL) than gridiron, for example with helmets, etc, etc... but both are still sports.

My son, as I said, plays footy on Saturdays for the under 10s. He might never play AFL for the Crows, but he is still playing a sport.

Old 25-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #49
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Tell that to the Pommy at Calder who's supercharger blew up and knocked him unconcious 60m from the start

Or keeping this in a straight line
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (35.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 25-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #50
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Not going to argue that, but both are great fun and real motorsport

Old 25-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #51
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Drag Racing is of course a motorsport, the skill level required mightn't be as high as others but its still definately a sport.

Apparently Chess is too :
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #52
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I agree, but both have their certain skill requirements too.

Alot of drifters, give drag racing crap, but at the end of the day, it's a personal choice and if people want to spend $100,000 on a purpose built drag car, that runs 8s, so be it.

No different then spending countless money on tyres for drifting or whatever.
Old 25-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #53
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Ratter,

Are there other forms of motorsports ?????
LOL none worth mentioning
Old 25-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #54
hold-on

the more horsepower the more skill.

Old 25-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #55
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well that actually would depend on who though wouldn't it...

There are people that are terrified for many reasons about the 1/4 mile but over time have decided to give it a whirl.. That in my opinion takes 'great big balls'...

Jabba you are entitled to your opinion but don't belittle others for their choices...
Old 25-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #56
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If the car is auto you are basically steering!!!
Unless you have lots of power, then it's a different story...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 25-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #57
Scott

For mine, both are motor sport in the purest forms (man, machine, track etc) however amateur drag racing and track/amateur days (circuit) are not sport, they are interests & hobbies for the punter or perhaps even business for some. If either are a part of a season/championship or are tied to one, then it's racing and then it's sport.

Like going for a game of tennis with the missus - that aint sport, it's a hobby.
Old 25-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #58
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like all of us Jabba is entilted to his opinion and looking at the polls a few people think the same way, after talking to Jabba, I feel his original post has been taken to personally and out of context.

I think we should just stick to the poll question

Old 26-06-2006, 12:25 AM   #59
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

To answer the question as its written, then yes it is motorsport.
BUT, unless you do sub 9 seconds, I dont believe its all that challenging.

To get it together for a 10-14 sec race in a straight line is not nearly as demanding as 10 laps or so accelerating, up and down shifts, selecting the right gear for road speed/RPM/track conditions, braking and cornering etc......I believe takes a higher level of skill. :

But yes, drags is motorsport.
Old 26-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #60
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

I think this is one of the biggest waste of time questions that should be filed under crap , just like the plane on the conveyor belt traveling the other way !

Anyone for a cup of tea ???????????

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Closed Thread