Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
JG3282
Awake after dark

Default Quickest unopened BOSS Engine

Was talking to a few guys about this at the All Ford Nationals and the general consensus is that the absolute bench mark for n/a Boss engine performance is still Rod's Pursuit ( prior to the turbo setup ).

Consider this: No flash tune, Full hard top and tail gate still on the car, spare tyre, no internal modifications, not too many external bolt-ons. All it really had was clever development, lots of track time and a top wheel man.

That to me, even if it is not the fastest or quickest, is the absolute benchmark to go by.

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONGAS
Was talking to a few guys about this at the All Ford Nationals and the general consensus is that the absolute bench mark for n/a Boss engine performance is still Rod's Pursuit ( prior to the turbo setup ).

Consider this: No flash tune, Full hard top and tail gate still on the car, spare tyre, no internal modifications, not too many external bolt-ons. All it really had was clever development, lots of track time and a top wheel man.

That to me, even if it is not the fastest or quickest, is the absolute benchmark to go by.
And what was the numbers??????
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:

No flash tune? so? still had a unichip, so it still had external support.

Most utes run with the tail gate on, just folded down.

External bolt ons? pretty sure rods car had underdrives, exhaust and CAI, also note that rod's ute was run (at times) without a front headlight in position (though in the passenger footwell to maintain street weight) so that in itself is a pretty crazy change that you don't see too often.

So about the only thing you see as a difference is that it ran with a hard lid vs no lid and a folded down tail gate.

Not such a huge difference in my opinion apart from about 30kg in weight.
Old 21-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

Oh and don't forget, rod's ute is a Pursuit with a BOSS 290, Chris's ute is a BOSS 260.

Bit of a difference there don't you think?
Old 21-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Company Car
And what was the numbers??????

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
Old 21-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Oh and don't forget, rod's ute is a Pursuit with a BOSS 290, Chris's ute is a BOSS 260.

Bit of a difference there don't you think?
Was anybody making comparisons?

Old 21-11-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
Chris
AFF.com.au

Rods car was a pretty quick little unit, remember going for a drive with him one day, memory serves me correctly it was wet and hairy - thank god Rod can drive.....

My vote goes to Chris, ORSMXR. Full weight, SP9000's and a STICK shift. he knows how to steer well too. Plus, he has repeated his numbers on several occasions, whearas I think Rod's 12.62 was a one off.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
JG3282
Awake after dark

Good point Chris. I think Chris's car is a classic example of what I was chatting with the guys about over the weekend.

A quick question though, what would be the weight difference between Pursuit, GT & XR8?

But just on your other point Rod did run a number of 12 second passes.

Old 21-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #9
parawolf
beep beep

Ahh okay, i think i misunderstood you on what you were on about.

*sigh* I wish I had a car to play with now... *SOB*
Old 21-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Ahh okay, i think i misunderstood you on what you were on about.
Basically I was chatting with a bunch of guys who said in their opinion Rod set the benchmark and they feel it still sits there as the "one to beat." I tend to agree as far as impact on the scene goes. It was a million light years ahead of everyone else at the time with a whole lot less dollars invested and it will always be the one that stands out as the first BIG performance from a Boss.

I too wish you had a car to play with as well, but if I can't have one, neither can you :jab:

Old 21-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Good point Chris. I think Chris's car is a classic example of what I was chatting with the guys about over the weekend.

A quick question though, what would be the weight difference between Pursuit, GT & XR8?

But just on your other point Rod did run a number of 12 second passes.
I think Rods pursuit would have been the heavier car by far, also running the decklid will add at least 40-60kg, and I know Rod has a few more pounds on him than my slim self. The OFR intake is a big advantage too though, air straight into the throttle body brings my KW into the 290's so a few things cancel themselves out.

I think Rod has only one 12.6 timeslip and a bunch of 12.9's. I think i was running 14.3's when Rods car ran. I ran against him one night, he left me for dead.

Be interesting to see what the BF will produce on the 1/4.
Old 21-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Rods car was a pretty quick little unit, remember going for a drive with him one day, memory serves me correctly it was wet and hairy - thank god Rod can drive.....

My vote goes to Chris, ORSMXR. Full weight, SP9000's and a STICK shift. he knows how to steer well too. Plus, he has repeated his numbers on several occasions, whearas I think Rod's 12.62 was a one off.
Admire your modesty shagger but surely your car was just as quick if not quicker than Chris's when you were running consistent mid to high 12's ie before you changed the cam timimg.

No doubt ORSM's car is quick and the "boy" can steer but in order to answer the original question ( which should also consider consistency not just one off runs), I think you only need to peep through those venitian blinds for the answer.

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:

Be interesting to see what the BF will produce on the 1/4.
Having been driving them for the last 4 weeks I think I have an idea of what they will do stock

Old 21-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #14
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
Admire your modesty shagger but surely your car was just as quick if not quicker than Chris's when you were running consistent mid to high 12's ie before you changed the cam timimg.

No doubt ORSM's car is quick and the "boy" can steer but in order to answer the original question ( which should also consider consistency not just one off runs), I think you only need to peep through those venitian blinds for the answer.
Brad change the diff gears on ORSM's car like Chris car has and you would see what Chris's getting at.

:Up_to_som :
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #15
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Having been driving them for the last 4 weeks I think I have an idea of what they will do stock
pointless statement.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #16
rodderz

Here we go...I'm surprised there's not more comments saying this or that about Rod only doing the 12.6 once. Point is plenty of us saw it, and he posted the time slip. He ran a string of 12.9's with a flaring auto, and no torque reductions...the fast one was the one where the bos went great for the whole run.

His headlight out has been proven to be no better than the G & D CAI, as was tested on the dyno & track. Lots of diffs were tested, but the 12.6 was done with the original 3:46 gears.

And it was done over 12 months ago....and you have to ask the question why arent some users online much anymore when they come under such scrutiny

Mind you thats taking nothing away from the results Chris has achieved with his and customers cars, which has helped put Ford onto the map for V8 performance!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #17
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Here we go...I'm surprised there's not more comments saying this or that about Rod only doing the 12.6 once. Point is plenty of us saw it, and he posted the time slip. He ran a string of 12.9's with a flaring auto, and no torque reductions...the fast one was the one where the bos went great for the whole run.

His headlight out has been proven to be no better than the G & D CAI, as was tested on the dyno & track. Lots of diffs were tested, but the 12.6 was done with the original 3:46 gears.

And it was done over 12 months ago....and you have to ask the question why arent some users online much anymore when they come under such scrutiny

Mind you thats taking nothing away from the results Chris has achieved with his and customers cars, which has helped put Ford onto the map for V8 performance!
Rodders I didnt see anyone on this thread disagreeing with Rods time that is the time to beat!
Old 21-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #18
rodderz

It was mainly on the old forums, but the point I was highlighting was the negativity he received about it

There isnt anyone denying the achievement, true...it's the rally of questions and queries that go with it that turns it sour. In the past the time was disputed by a lot of people (and still by some) and knowing Rod well I knew how much hard work he put in to get the time and how much negativity he copped after doing so.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #19
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
pointless statement.
I've spent the last 5 minutes trying to think of a response but it would be pointless :thebirds:

Old 21-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #20
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
not too many external bolt-ons.
Gees, its seems to be getting a bit confusing, because if there was a class for every different mod, there would be 20 different classes. Open and unopened seemed heaps easier. I'm used to "run what ya brung" but split into n/a or forced induction. I just can't keep up with whats going on, but i am trying .
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 08:54 PM   #21
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I am still blown away by the times that Rod's ute ran, it ran consistent 12.9's and a best of 12.6
Rod was definatly a pioneer in getting these things going, well before the edit was around. He spent countless hours at the track, on the dyno and what more, he ran it with the hard lid and standard diff gears and no stall convertor.
It still has me in awe ! 12 months later !

What i would like to know is:
Quickest un-opened bolt on Boss 260
Quickest un-opened bolt on Boss 290
Old 21-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #22
ALS008
I'm BOSS

Is your car still classified as an "unopened" boss motor Chris???

====Past Rides====
'04 BA XR6T 5spd T5: Nizpro Tuned, Valve springs, CIA, Injectors, 256RWKW
'04 BA XR8 4spd BTR:Bluepower Tuned, BPR CAI, Big Boy exhaust, Hi Stall, 4.11s, 248RWKW PB:13.2@105mph
'92 EB Fairmont GHIA 5.0LT 5spd T5:Stock with a cat back exhaust.
'06 BF Fairlane GHIA 230Boss ZF 6spd: BPR CIA, cat back Exhaust.

====Present Ride====
'10 FPV GS Ute ZF 6spd:#108. With all the fruit.
ALS008 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #23
Chris
AFF.com.au

No mate, I class it as opened 260, although planty are telling me to claim it as unopened.

take a bolt off it and its opened. thats my rule, which makes Rod's and my car both opened.
Old 21-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #24
BadAss Boss

Quote:
No mate, I class it as opened 260, although planty are telling me to claim it as unopened.
hey biiiaaatchhhh
how was the weekend
has he still got the pusuit if so wats he runnin now
BadAss Boss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 10:35 PM   #25
Chris
AFF.com.au

Greetings Baddass,

weekend was much needed, girlfriend back on side and happy.

A happy girlfriend makes it easier to race.

You be good now, and be kind to your tyres :
Old 21-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #26
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
You be good now, and be kind to your tyres :
Your not getting soft on us are you bud.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #27
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Your not getting soft on us are you bud.
Quite the opposite Leigh, I dont think he knows what soft means! :
Old 21-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #28
SLY XR8
Who's your Daddy now

Think if your going to compare boss motors. compare 260 to 260 and 290 to 290. When Chris ran 12.69 what was the closest other than myself. Think it was kev 13.2. Half a sec quicker that should say somethink. Chris is the fastest by a long way and it is consistent not only a run here and their.