Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #121
TTNOS8
All Go, No Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Dion is so far from the truth he wouldn't know.

No transbrake on a C4. [edit]Transbrakes break c4's. Not good.

With a C4 the 4500rpm convertor and 1st gear compared with the glides 1st and a 5400rpm means the glide is still under geared due to a taller 1st gear.

By rights the c4 should have been faster but it wasn't case closed. I've had plenty of confirmations of the same.

I realize that the C4 wasn't transbraked.

But the 11.85 pass with the glide was, wasn't it?

Bit unfair comparing a transbraked launch with a larger convertor, than a non-transbraked launch with a smaller convertor.

Were you also running a different manifold?

Like I said, not being smart, just want to know what the story is ;)
Looking for another XE.....
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #122
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
Brenx Glides are for Holdens mate that's why your going backwards not forwards. :thebirds:
lol. Thats why other same spec cammed 351's couldn't catch me. They were watching my smokey 351 smoke their ****. Have a look at my achievements over the 1/4 mile. I ain't going slower, only getting faster. I'll have to stop somewhere though. I guess that'll happen one day.

My cars looking like it'll be insured with Shannon's soon. They've offered to insurer it for $15,000 with pics. $10,000 sight unseen. When I redo the paint I'll get them to come in inspect the car again. $15,000 at least covers the engine and box.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #123
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNOS8
I realize that the C4 wasn't transbraked.

But the 11.85 pass with the glide was, wasn't it?

Bit unfair comparing a transbraked launch with a larger convertor, than a non-transbraked launch with a smaller convertor.

Were you also running a different manifold?

Like I said, not being smart, just want to know what the story is ;)
Same manifold. 11.85 = glide 11.96 = c4.

Compare the two :

4500rpm on a c4 is the same as launching @ 5500rpm+ on a glide.

c4 = 2.46 1st gear
glide = 1.76

At the pointy end they are both the same 1:1. What is it like? Try launching a c4 in 2nd gear. Thats how tall a glides 1st is. The higher stall combats the tall 1st. In actual fact I think a c4's 2nd gear still isn't as tall as a glides 1st. Not sure and don't have my books handy to verify it.

Where did I gain that tenth? My guess is by removing that extra gear change ;)

Old 09-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #124
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
Dion is so far from the truth he wouldn't know.

No transbrake on a C4. [edit]Transbrakes break c4's. Not good.
Brenx, i was 100% correct in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNOS8
Was Dion right in his assumptions Brendon?

Not trying to be a smartarse, just wonderin...

Was that with the transbrake also?
You bet Dion was right!!! Not only that, the run with the c4 was leaving the line at 2500rpm, and missing second gear!!!!
Ofcorse the C4 as faster. Way faster if he used 2nd gear like most people do.
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #125
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moral is those that haven't use each different box will be loyal to what they own. Those that have used both soon change their mind.

Reliability is best.

nb : for xdclevo I don't post every time I head to the track. So you don't know when and what I've tested. Please don't assume you know everything I've done. Only I can tell you that. Unless you have a crystal ball?

Old 09-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #126
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
nb : for xdclevo I don't post every time I head to the track. So you don't know when and what I've tested. Please don't assume you know everything I've done. Only I can tell you that. Unless you have a crystal ball?
You told everyone after you did 11.96 that you used the Weiand manifold, but now you say you used the CHI?? Why?
People try to learn and you post untrue info/results.
2V powahhhhh
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #127
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
You told everyone after you did 11.96 that you used the Weiand manifold, but now you say you used the CHI?? Why?
People try to learn and you post untrue info/results.
I've used both for various things. I still have the weiand. I could bolt it back on now but I know the CHI is better. People can figure some things out for themselves. I'm not here to do the ground work for everyone else. I'm doing it for me and no-one else.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #128
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're going to post stuff, at least post what you actually did or don't bother posting it. Very annoying when wrong information is being bandied around.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #129
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
If you're going to post stuff, at least post what you actually did or don't bother posting it. Very annoying when wrong information is being bandied around.
It's the gift of giving when people make total annoyances of themself They give praise one minute, the next minute they are ripping into me. They want to learn but they aren't real smart.

I'll keep it as vague as possible and be as vague as possible because I treat others as they treat me.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #130
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

brenx, you did the 11.96 with the weiand. That is fact! I'm sick of betting a wager and you never take me up on it. I will bet you dollars! You name the amount, and i will say yes. Just please post the truth and not what suits your story at the time.
(ps, you up for the bet or what? I have some new things i want!)
2V powahhhhh
Old 09-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #131
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I can see this thread getting locked unless it settles down

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #132
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's the gift of giving when people make total annoyances of themself They give praise one minute, the next minute they are ripping into me. They want to learn but they aren't real smart.

I'll keep it as vague as possible and be as vague as possible because I treat others as they treat me.

Well, if you aren't going to post the truth then don't bother posting at all. I don't care is you're vague but if what you say isn't accurate then keep it to yourself.

Any credibility you had just evaporated
Old 09-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #133
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
brenx, you did the 11.96 with the weiand. That is fact! I'm sick of betting a wager and you never take me up on it. I will bet you dollars! You name the amount, and i will say yes. Just please post the truth and not what suits your story at the time.
(ps, you up for the bet or what? I have some new things i want!)
I'm not a betting person. Ask anyone that knows me. I'll never bet, no matter what. It's just the way I am.

I wouldn't even bet money my current setup would beat your current setup. I'm not that type of person. I work for what I have not try and take advantage of others.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #134
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
Any credibility you had just evaporated
According to some I had none in the 1st place. It's a forum not real life. I treat is as such.

Some things I don't want known. Note : my 393 combo isn't in the engine thread for that reason. 351 combo most know 99% about it. It was an everything off the shelf engine.

Last edited by brenx; 09-12-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #135
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
According to some I had none in the 1st place. It's a forum not real life. I treat is as such.
and you wonder why
Old 10-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #136
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I know but they rarely see street use. That's why they last. The top gear clutch pack and band seems to be an issue. I've been through 5 c4/10's and $8000. 1 powerglide and $3000 (not fitted) = reliable. I can't afford to have one that keeps blowing up or needs refreshing all the time. I don't like being poor.

I've seen too many people waste $ on them inc myself. Most that say they'll last don't have big hp/torque or a reasonably sized convertor. Reasonably sized convertor being 4500rpm+.

I'm my experience c4/10's run hot which also doesn't help it stay alive. I run 2 big transcoolers. They have cast flex too which a aluminium pan helps with this.

I know of a few that seem to be coping but they don't see much use and they are stage II (not manualised). They also don't run convertors larger than 3500rpm.

I've already had Keas and Wholesale autos offer to use me as a test mule for auto strength. I didn't go ahead with it as I didn't want to pay for something that'll break. If someone wants me to test their product? It shouldn't cost me anything. Especially if I'm the one risking everything.

They last box I had ended up in 20 or more different pieces. That was enough for me to move away from a weak Ford box. Unfortunately in the long run the glide is a better financial decision. I've never had an auto stay in the car for this long. The glide went in the car in Jan 05. Still faultless in Dec 05. Longest c4/10 I've owned was 6mths. I met plenty of c4/10 builders during my c4/10 ownership.

It's disappointing not to run a c4/10 but that's life and my wallet and I will get over it.
Wouldn't a C6 have been a better option after you broke the C10 so many times, I have seen them fitted to XA/B/C's and they are bigger and stronger than the C10's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #137
302donk

if you engine carnt handle a ford auto maybe you should be driving a holden LOL
only joking. but there are some good guys out there that do built a tuff ford box all you need to do is ask
302donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #138
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Powerglides seem to be the choice for serious cars, i bought my C6 of a bloke with an XD drag car, he sold it as he's upgrading to a powerglide.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #139
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302donk
only joking. but there are some good guys out there that do built a tuff ford box all you need to do is ask
they aint really a holden gearbox, like holden could design a auto to transmit 1000+hp.
enough keyboard bashing brenx, 11.11 from a mildish 393 on pulp, in a heavier xb with small slicks/ 2 speed/ and street suspension is awesome.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #140
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

The powerglide can not handle heaps of horsepower when standard, they are fairly heavily modified when they handle over 1000 hp, sometimes they end up with not a standard peice of p/glide in them and that goes for the casing as well, some guys use the deadenbear case

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #141
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302donk
as he said though, he's had c series boxes and they didnt last...
i remember when the last one let go....wasnt that not long after a reco? there wasnt much salvageable from it either from memory.

ive always been taught that if you want a box to last behind a tough car you cant go past a 'glide
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #142
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Powerglides seem to be the choice for serious cars, i bought my C6 of a bloke with an XD drag car, he sold it as he's upgrading to a powerglide.
Thats been true for alot of years but ther are some very serious HP cars using the c4 now, there is one builder in sydney who will guarantee for life up to 700hp
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post