Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 23-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Default Sydney Dragway Meeting THIS FRIDAY 24th Feb

hey everybody,

i know it's real short notice but it's important for anyone who goes to Sydney Dragway to watch or race to try and attend.

This from the Sydney Dragway FB site.

Quote:
Hi all

The Sydney Dragway Board would like to hold a casual meeting with all racers and interested parties at Sydney Dragway at 7:00pm this Friday Night (24th February).

The purpose of the meeting is to bring everyone up to speed and answer any questions you may have regarding the future of the venue and Drag Racing in Sydney.

We understand it is short notice however the Board is keen to pick up the ball and run with it so if you have an hour or so to spare on Friday Night we would love to see you here.

This will be the first of regular meetings and communications between the board and racers.

We look for to seeing all at your Track this Friday night.
hope to see as many racers, crew and spectators as we can down there.

cheers

SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 
Default Re: Sydney Dragway Meeting THIS FRIDAY 24th Feb

Sure as **** it will rain and they will call me when I am half way to Sydney lol.

Pretty simple or less they going to build a 24 hour club house full of pokie machines I dont see the track making money.

They could also learn how to advertise and put on a family fun event not just hold a drag race meeting.

Setup a drag racing school / training. Sell racing fuel at the track. Hire helmets etc.

You get so many people and cars to a Wed night where are the people and entrants when it comes to NSW Track Championship rounds?
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Sure as **** it will rain and they will call me when I am half way to Sydney lol.

Pretty simple or less they going to build a 24 hour club house full of pokie machines I dont see the track making money.

They could also learn how to advertise and put on a family fun event not just hold a drag race meeting.

Setup a drag racing school / training. Sell racing fuel at the track. Hire helmets etc.

You get so many people and cars to a Wed night where are the people and entrants when it comes to NSW Track Championship rounds?
Matt you know that R word is a swear word at the track

I've heard first hand some of the ideas from the board (and there is some good ones) whilst i can't reveal them (that's their job)

that's the reason behind the meet tonight, for them to let us all know what is going on, why and how.
how it can and wiil be fixed, and to brain storm for more ideas (it's our second home so why not have an input yeah)

i'll pass on the ideas to the board for you matt.

are you coming up for the 24/25th pro series round? if not i'll see you at the round in april.
Old 24-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Thanks Dan your one of the reasons I keep making the 8 hour round trip for a few slow runs lol. I will be up next Friday and Sunday.

Every time I come up, the track gets moist!

Ill come up for the 24/25th pro series round if they stop leaving the entry level guys out in the dark. I like your idea of buying a car that can be setup for such rounds sadly lack of funds means I am to far off the pace lol.
Old 24-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
prasac
Banned

let us know what they discuss. i too agree, needs to be more family friendly and advertised more. something like the APSA and Sport Compact boys put on when they come to town.

you could throw a blanket over the crowds that come to TC meets, i think even with Top Fuellers one meet they only pulled in a couple thousand. you see 10000 odd going to Calder and Willowbank for APSA meets. i remember back in the day the place used to get packed, now, i dunno.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
let us know what they discuss. i too agree, needs to be more family friendly and advertised more. something like the APSA and Sport Compact boys put on when they come to town.

you could throw a blanket over the crowds that come to TC meets, i think even with Top Fuellers one meet they only pulled in a couple thousand. you see 10000 odd going to Calder and Willowbank for APSA meets. i remember back in the day the place used to get packed, now, i dunno.
well we went to the meeting last night.

great turn out for such short notice

the rumours that the track is closing is just that... rumours.

We got to meet the new board (most of us know pretty much all of them anyway)

they pretty much gave us an idea of what it costs to open the doors, run a meet and what is needed to cover costs and pay prize money etc.

they didn't sugar coat it either, the track is very low on $$$$ but it only takes some good luck with the big guy (and moody bi%#h upstairs) us racers and a good amount of spectators to get it back to the good old days.

SD is looking at running the meetings on a quarterly basis ( which is a bloody good idea i think)
some good (and not so good) ideas were brought up for the board to look at.

There is a working bee on Sunday the 18th of March, i think details will be posted on SD website.

moral of the meeting is to stay with the track, spread the word that it's here for good, and help bring the spectators back and the new board is up and running to help us get the track back to it's glory days.

a good qoute form last night " alot of the mentality atm is what can the track do for us?" it was answered with " as a racer, we should be thinking what can we do for the track?"

let's put all the political and negative bulls$!t behind us and RACE, Put on a show that the spectators will want to come back each time to see (preferably with 50 mates extra )
Old 26-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The racers already do their job by preparing the cars, paying their fees, organising their pit crew and friends to come out, they also bring money into the sport via their sponsors.

Its up to each track and ANDRA to put on a show / event that the fans love and support. You have to provide a product that is must see, give them a reason to spend their hard earnt on appreal and tickets, its much better to watch when your rooting for a team or racer.

I will go to powercruise this weekend which is next door at eastern creek raceway, and they will get 1500 odd cars entered, 30,000 plus spectators.

The prize money for the off street racing is only $1000 for the winner and yet the amount of cars that enter it is awesome. There is stuff for the kids and not once over 3 days will I be bored.

I Plan on going drag racing Friday night and Sunday, I wonder if anyone of the powercruise entrants or spectators even know its on?

I know GUP the owner of powercruise tried to organise drag racing for a night event after the day events at powercruise.

It never happend why not? WSID should be looking at ways to take full advantage and learn how to run a event like powercruise or summernats or V8 supercars.

Track management is one thing event management is another maybe you need a board for both. More 1 day events with the other day lined up if it rains rather then have it strung out over 2 days take a look a cricket and have a good mix of both.

What I can do is turn up each round and do my best and invite family and friends. I like to race so give me somewhere to race.

Driving 4 hours for 1 run on a Friday night for a TC round is not my idea of good fun or valve. I am way better of spending $50 for a wednesday night.

Its like every other struggling sport no real direction and to much in fighting. It reminds me of Netball and Soccer.
Old 26-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WSID hasnt done a joint venture with GUP due to him trying to dictate what he wants and how much he wants to pay , and trying to control ALL media coverage and stipulate its his way or else .

WSID have their OWN media accredited people who use the films , photos , for their own businesses and for drag racing coverage , in many magazines , online or otherwise .

And no way do any of these guys want to lose their privelage cause 1 person wants to run an event with their stipulations .

ANDRA has a right and repsonsibilty to car owners and racers . Its not just up to WSID to let someone else come in and run the show , so to speak .

I Agree , making a WHOLE 3-4 day event inclusing Drag Racing @ WSID assosciated with POWERCRUISE would be totally awsome . Show n shine , drifting , SOund offs , awsome . Will it happen ... Probably not !

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going to be pretty simple by the sounds of it, they need everyone to help the track out in any way possible. Be it working bees or turning up to race/spectate. Need to forget what's happened in the past and start from scratch or don't and possibly lose the track for good?
Old 27-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltrain79
WSID hasnt done a joint venture with GUP due to him trying to dictate what he wants and how much he wants to pay , and trying to control ALL media coverage and stipulate its his way or else .

WSID have their OWN media accredited people who use the films , photos , for their own businesses and for drag racing coverage , in many magazines , online or otherwise .

And no way do any of these guys want to lose their privelage cause 1 person wants to run an event with their stipulations .

ANDRA has a right and repsonsibilty to car owners and racers . Its not just up to WSID to let someone else come in and run the show , so to speak .

I Agree , making a WHOLE 3-4 day event inclusing Drag Racing @ WSID assosciated with POWERCRUISE would be totally awsome . Show n shine , drifting , SOund offs , awsome . Will it happen ... Probably not !
i think they had the same problem with ahmet and the thing he calls a show a couple of years back as well.
Old 27-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good advice on putting the past behind us the track should do the same and try again with people like Gup to do their best to sort it out so it works for both parties.

Also would love to see a P platers challenge as a sub cat in Street fighter.

Lets get as many of those Race 4 Real guys to a track championship round. Growing the sport at the grass roots is good for the top level and tracks.

Would be great if there was something you could do in the wet weather, Maybe a skid pan?

We all love the sport and its a great track. May the sun shine and the only clouds be made by tyre smoke I am getting itchy feet need a run or 2 haha.
Old 27-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
prasac
Banned

street meets should be like the ones they have at Willowbank allow cars faster then 9.0 to come out as well.

hope they are more relaxed now, i wanna take my nugget out and complete most of my licensing on a Wednesday meet. do my burnout, 60ft and half track licensing tests, then do the full pass test at a Full Throttle Friday or something.
Old 27-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goodluck!

My first time to Track Championship, the ANDRA guy was laughing and making fun of my car and the LPG etc etc. Also was told to get a catch can and that my helmet was a fake so I spent the next morning chassing down a catch can and new helmet.

Got to the track after spending $50 at bursons fitted the catch can got it rechecked the guy just laughed and said you could of just used a 600ml coke bottle and a zip tie. That info would of been bloody handy before hand.

Racers like Dan helped me out lots and where my main source of info etc.

Last TC round I left work early drove up to Sydney got to the track and they canceled the Friday night. Reason rain it wasnt raining and didnt rain all night. I put it down to the low numbers and the cost to run the night it was not worth running.

A few working bees will help get the grass mowed and the track ready. Its a start but they a need a long term way to make money and lots of it.
Old 27-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Goodluck!

My first time to Track Championship, the ANDRA guy was laughing and making fun of my car and the LPG etc etc. Also was told to get a catch can and that my helmet was a fake so I spent the next morning chassing down a catch can and new helmet.

Got to the track after spending $50 at bursons fitted the catch can got it rechecked the guy just laughed and said you could of just used a 600ml coke bottle and a zip tie. That info would of been bloody handy before hand.

Racers like Dan helped me out lots and where my main source of info etc.

Last TC round I left work early drove up to Sydney got to the track and they canceled the Friday night. Reason rain it wasnt raining and didnt rain all night. I put it down to the low numbers and the cost to run the night it was not worth running.

A few working bees will help get the grass mowed and the track ready. Its a start but they a need a long term way to make money and lots of it.
i should get treated alright down there, Joe knows pretty much everyone, 22 years of racing you get to know em all

hopefully they won't be too hard on me, i know they are easy on some, though alot of people don't usually have as a first car as what i have
Old 28-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will be right just have fun and enjoy the ride. Invite 50 mates to come watch and laugh at you changing your undies lol.