Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc

Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc The Queensland early model Falcon Club.

Old 19-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
ken
xm ute

Default Reconditioning an XM 170 - questions

Hi all,

AM new to this list but am hoping someone would be generous with advice. I have an XM ute with (I think) a 170. The motor has been reconditioned at some stage but is due again for major surgery. I figure the easy option is to pull out this motor and hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing. My questions:

The VIN codes show that this car should have a 170 in it, but how do I check that that's what my current engine actually is?

If I am reconditioning/rebuilding, can it be 'upgraded' to a 200 equivalent or something similar? And if it can, is this a good idea?

Are there any other options/mods I should be thinking about at this stage?

Are there any engine reconditioners/mechanics in Brisbane I should talk to/trust?

Note that I'm wanting a solid reliable ute that drives well - this is not a race-car. One last question -

The ute has a three-speed column-shift with no synchro on 1st. I guess I would like to upgrade to a full-sychro box. Auto would be nice, but I hear that the 1964 auto's are a bit primative (if you can find one) and that with any conversion I need to be careful about the small tunnells in the XM's - so I figure that would all get too complicated. At this stage I think I will just sort the engine out and then deal with the gearbox next. Is that a good idea or am I missing the chance to do something good if deal with the engine and gearbox at the same time?

Thanks in advance,
kr

ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

You can put a 200 in as they came out with them as an option. Its more than likely you have the narrow block 170. Finding a narrow block 200 will be close to impossible. The later model (XR, XY etc) 200's are a different beast and are a bit taller if I remember correctly but will fit with a bit of persausion. Ive managed to squeeze a 170 and Borg Warner 35 Auto into my XM, I had to enlarge the opening of the tunnel a bit but a couple of hours with a porta power and it was done. I did have the engine in and out a couple of times to test fit it.
I wouldnt bother with the 2 speed autos, find a BW35 and fit that, the later model all synchro manuals are bigger and need custom mounts. Manual to auto is an easy conversion if you have all the bits, Hardest thing to find is the honey pots, but they are available repro for about $90

Bear in mind you will have to change the coloum and the shift tubes to an auto, and 2spd and 3 spd are different. Have a look at this site to explain it better

http://stormloader.com/falconccwa/columnhint.htm
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
fat289
fat289

What year model is your XM ?
64 will have the small trans tunnel
65 will have the large trans tunnel
If its a 65 you'll be able to fit a 250 & B/W 35 easily with no mods to the body
Ute's already have large drum brakes with 2 1/8" pads - larger than XY drums so it will still stop ok with the bigger engine.

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
ken
xm ute

Thanks redXM - will take a good look at that link.

fat 289 - I think it's a Feb '65 built in Brisbane (have just noticed the VIN code decoder in the tech section so will double-check). That said - I once took a look under the bonnet of an XP and the tunnel in the XP 'looked' bigger than mine. Is there any way of telling more definatively?

thanks again, kr
ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
fat289
fat289

Have a look at how much room you have around your bellhousing , if it's a large tunnel your bellhousing should look realy small in comparison to the tunnel

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A valued contributor to those hard to answer questions regarding classic falcons. A wealth of knowledge. 

if you read red xm's link re the west aust falcon site - it tells you how to check big or small tunnels - its to do with how the hi beam floor switch is mounted:

on the tunnel is big

on the floor is small

brett

melb
9triton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post