Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 30-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
yojabbajabba
Starter Motor

Default Swapping HVAC controls in MC Mondeo

Hey all,

Is it possible to straight-swap out the base-model HVAC controls from the MC Mondeo with the ones from the upper ZETEC/Titanium models?

I have just purchased a 2014 MC Mondeo and think the twist-dials are a little archaic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mondeo Update.jpg (68.6 KB, 24 views)
yojabbajabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Swapping HVAC controls in MC Mondeo

Not likely...

Yours is just standard A/C, however the Zetec / Titanium have Automatic Climate Control.

Not saying it isn't possible, however might not be cost effective...

Are you unhappy with the A/C performance by any chance?
Old 31-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
yojabbajabba
Starter Motor

I'm not overtly impressed with the current system but I am making do (it was the way my HVAC worked in my Yaris - no climate control). I have access to the updated centre-console/radio/HVAC panel, so was wondering whether someone had done swap before going through the effort of giving it a go.
Old 31-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many modern (ie within the last 5 years) HVAC systems are electric/servo controlled, and use the same - or mostly the same system for both "manual" A/C controls, and climate.
Some require an additional motor or solenoid to be fitted (like adding dual zone to a single zone Falcon or Territory).

There's every chance you can make it happen, but it all depends on how much the wiring varies, and the actual HVAC actuation varies between the control types.
Is the climate dual zone? If so, it will need an additional actuator at a minimum, and possibly some work on the HVAC box to change out the blend door (or doors) if they don't have a smart system like the Falcon where only the shafts need to be changed.

First step would be to get hold of the factory service manual (pay the 3 day subscription, and print all the relevant info out). Compare the differences not only in the mechanics of the HVAC box, but also compare the wiring & connectors - especially the pinouts. Some climate cars need additional sensors that base models don't have, and others may use a completely different wiring harness between trim levels, making it a massive task to try to replicate. Only way to know for sure is to research it in the manual.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
yojabbajabba
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Many modern (ie within the last 5 years) HVAC systems are electric/servo controlled, and use the same - or mostly the same system for both "manual" A/C controls, and climate.
Some require an additional motor or solenoid to be fitted (like adding dual zone to a single zone Falcon or Territory).

There's every chance you can make it happen, but it all depends on how much the wiring varies, and the actual HVAC actuation varies between the control types.
Is the climate dual zone? If so, it will need an additional actuator at a minimum, and possibly some work on the HVAC box to change out the blend door (or doors) if they don't have a smart system like the Falcon where only the shafts need to be changed.
Thanks for this - this is really encouraging. I know of some cars that have the same features across all models, and all that was needed was the replacement of one part to access them. This is what I was hoping for. Here's to hoping that it is only minor mods to get it converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
First step would be to get hold of the factory service manual (pay the 3 day subscription, and print all the relevant info out). Compare the differences not only in the mechanics of the HVAC box, but also compare the wiring & connectors - especially the pinouts. Some climate cars need additional sensors that base models don't have, and others may use a completely different wiring harness between trim levels, making it a massive task to try to replicate. Only way to know for sure is to research it in the manual.
Yep, I'll have a look at FordETIS and see if it'll reveal that everything behind the fascia is the same
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #6
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Here is the parts images of the rear trims on the wagon Mondeo..

Mondeo MC Carpet.pdf

Mondeo MC Rear Insulators.pdf
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post