Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Scanners

I use an OBDLink MX bluetooth adapter, it has power saving and MS CAN. The computer system works at different speeds and priorities, there is an HS CAN bus for high speed important stuff like engine management and an MS CAN BUS for things like trailers etc. My car has a permanent problem with the trailer module for example, which I ignore since my trailer works fine except for flashing lights.

If you want to drive and forget, there's the Ford IDS system (integrated diagnostics) and the VCM (vehicle communication module) available at your local Ford service, hacked by some for personal use. (Not me, seriously).

I'm getting tired of this car stuff, I need a break, it's becoming an obsession.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Mondaveo

Default Re: Scanners

Thanks for this post. Had a quick look and I've almost convinced myself that I need to get one of these. Really like the sound of the feature range

Is the MS-CAN support essential for interfacing with Mondeo?
How responsive is the real-time readout while driving? It looks like you can get animated dials and graphs through the smartphone app, would this work to give you say a digital speedo that's more responsive than GPS?
What things can it read out? Can it get sensor readings (e.g. turbo pressure, drive shaft sensor)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please don't tempt me like that! My car is fine and really doesn't need to have a scan tool plugged in.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
manchu

I'm waiting on delivery of a cheapo ELM327 WIFI from ebay. $24.80. Model: WIFI V1.5 ELM327. I've gone for wifi because I don't think Bluetooth ones work with iPhone.

But, I'm not sure I want to plug it in now after reading a few things in the net about similar .

http://www.incardoc.com/forum/defaul...4&p=2#post1346

"On my 2003 peugeot 2.0i it seems to have caused major damage! It looks like my BSI module has been damaged. The dashboard has gone crazy, nothing functions anymore, the car does not start. All attempts to reset the BSI have been futile. Will have to go to dealer with this problem. Watch out with this cheap chinese crap!!"
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Thanks for this post. Had a quick look and I've almost convinced myself that I need to get one of these. Really like the sound of the feature range

Is the MS-CAN support essential for interfacing with Mondeo?
How responsive is the real-time readout while driving? It looks like you can get animated dials and graphs through the smartphone app, would this work to give you say a digital speedo that's more responsive than GPS?
What things can it read out? Can it get sensor readings (e.g. turbo pressure, drive shaft sensor)?
No, MS CAN isn't required for connection. I used a $15 elm327 cable adapter and a windows laptop for some time. I needed the transmission temperature for oil changes, and wanted to be prepared to read any fault codes. Was also curious about DPF goings on. Exhaust temp went to 600 degrees C during regen, etc etc.

Yes, boost pressure (BAP) and gearbox input shaft speed (GISS) available as streaming data from PCM and TCM respectively.

Then I went to the bluetooth adapter which has MS CAN. Be warned these adapters don't fit under the lid. I used a 300mm low profile OBD2 right angle extension cable from ebay and ground of some plastic inside the lid with a dremel. The unit is permanently plugged in and can be accessed on the phone any time the ignition is on. I avoid starting the engine while the initial handshaking is going on. Once Forscan or Torque is connected the car can be driven while streaming data.

I counted 85 PIDs for the PCM and 51 for the TCM. There are also diagnostic tests which I haven't used. Unfortunately no ABS system bleed routine for fluid change.

I gather the wi-fi OBDLink adapter has had some issues and I would advise buying direct from scantool to get the most recent version.

I'll see if I can post a list of available PIDs in Forscan.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I stuffed up and got a F-Super usb cable, it works with limitations with the supplied software but it's so basic it's no better than a code reader, it can't clear that's for sure. If I can be bothered I may look into other software but for $20 wasn't much of a write off. Clone SST chip and cheap translator chip to usb.

I did order another clone Bt this time. Konnwei KW902 $17. I'll let you know if it works with forscan on a MB.

FWIW Genuine elm327 stops at v1.4

v1.5 and up are clones, they then got cloning good enough to start their own firmware and adaptors and released v2.1 upwards, sad state of affairs.

I reckon I'm gonna have to order my own genuine ELM327 chips and make my own cable.

Last edited by cobrin; 02-03-2016 at 06:48 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #7
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not knowing much about the chip details etc I bought the OBDLink MX $A180 inc postage from USA.

List of modules Forscan accesses on my android phone:

TCM (HSCAN) Transmission control module
PCM (HSCAN) Powertrain control module
OBDII (This is for generic fault code access, any scanner works)
SASM (HSCAN) Steering angle sensor
ABS (HSCAN) Anti lock braking module (gives hydraulic pressure PID only)
RCM (HSCAN) Restraint control module
BCMii (HSCAN) Body control module
TRM (MSCAN) Trailer module
SRM (MSCAN) Speech recognition module
PDM (MSCAN) Passenger door control unit
DDM (MSCAN) Driver door module
ACM (MSCAN) Audio control module
IPC (MSCAN) Instrument panel controller

I have saved streaming PID data from PCM and TCM for a 30 min drive to act as a reference for what is 'normal'.

Having used OBDII codes fixing one major problem it's paid for itself I think.
This user likes this post: