Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford passenger cars not a priority for Blue Oval in Australia.

There would be very little money in new small cars. Just picked up a new Astra, the stuff you get in small cars and their price is pretty incredible. Didn’t look at the Focus, but the market is so competitive that you can afford to be picky even with a very low budget.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #32
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Just making a statement re Ford(as they were on the “nose” in Japan.)No need to be rude!
Identifying that a person has made a mistake is not being rude.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #33
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
This is what Ford should do to resuscitate their sedan market.

I know it would probably never happen... But the demand would be immense, for the family man wanting a Mustang

Historically the first Mustang was designed around the Falcon unibody platform which at the time in the States came in both 2 and 4 door versions so I hear what your sayin.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2018, 11:26 PM   #34
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
This is what Ford should do to resuscitate their sedan market.

I know it would probably never happen... But the demand would be immense, for the family man wanting a Mustang

That would pass as a Falcon, in a funny reverse osmosis fashion as the original mustang came from the original Falcon.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 12:49 AM   #35
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thnik I read most recent VFacts was 211 Mondeos sold in the month, thats pretty slow for Australia-wide

4 door RWD Mustang yes, bring back the F trucks while you are at it

Make Australia America Again!
Old 20-01-2018, 12:55 AM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
We have one of the most competitive markets in the world. Corolla, Mazda3 and i30 are already entrenched in the small car segment and it would take a while to make ground there. Mitsubishi has just discontinued the long running Lancer for the same reason. People are moving to SUVs.

As for Toyota they are running off reputation from the 80s/90s with all of the older generation plus they do a lot fleet sales.

Mondeo doesn't do too bad. It is 3rd in its segment but there are not many sales there just for Camry for all of the seniors.
One excuse after another.

Apart from Corolla, both of the other two, Mazda 3 and i30 have had to earn the respect they are shown, hell, the Mazda 3 started life in the same way the Focus did, off the back of the Laser, 323 era, a neutral position from my perspective.
Mazda have succeded whilst Ford have tanked in this segment and we all know why.
How a company can ignore the obvious issues in a car that features in the largest segment in a competetive market is beyond beief.

Mitsubishi are focussed on the Outlander which is hugely popular as a replacement for those who were previously Lancer buyers, the drivelines are tried and proven and backed by a good warranty with strong customer satisfaction, Ford have burned its small car customers with the reputation of Focus and have struggled to make inroads with its small SUV offerings.
The two are chalk and cheese.

People buy Camry's because they are reliable and that reliability came about through dedication to getting it right.
The SV21 Camry was one of the most robust vehicles ever built and Toyota have successfully built on that reputation
Having said that, when Camry had its 10th birthday, Falcon was no1 in sales so im not sure how Toyota's reputation was any better than Fords in that era.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #37
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Identifying that a person has made a mistake is not being rude.
Did not make a mistake @ all,was just stating a fact.Cheers
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #38
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

Apart from Corolla, both of the other two, Mazda 3 and i30 have had to earn the respect they are shown, hell, the Mazda 3 started life in the same way the Focus did, off the back of the Laser, 323 era, a neutral position from my perspective.
Mazda have succeded whilst Ford have tanked in this segment and we all know why.
How a company can ignore the obvious issues in a car that features in the largest segment in a competetive market is beyond beief.

Mitsubishi are focussed on the Outlander which is hugely popular as a replacement for those who were previously Lancer buyers, the drivelines are tried and proven and backed by a good warranty with strong customer satisfaction, Ford have burned its small car customers with the reputation of Focus and have struggled to make inroads with its small SUV offerings.

People buy Camry's because they are reliable and that reliability came about through dedication to getting it right.
The SV21 Camry was one of the most robust vehicles ever built and Toyota have successfully built on that reputation
Having said that, when Camry had its 10th birthday, Falcon was no1 in sales so im not sure how Toyota's reputation was any better than Fords in that era.
Summed it up very well.
I am yet to meet a Mazda or Hyundai buyer who didn't like the buying experience or after sales service. When my mum bought a new Hyundai, we visited 3 Hyundai dealers, all were very respectful even though we didn't buy from them. This is totally different to my interactions with the boys club known as ford dealers.
Ford are gonna stay in retail purgatory for a few years yet.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 20-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #39
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My experience with Ford dealers has been really good.

Buying our latest car at Holden though, the dealer was dead quiet. Walk past one and they will probably try to shove a car into your pocket.

Expect deals on the Equinox too.

The brands outside of Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia seem to be struggling at the moment with private buyers.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #40
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
My experience with Ford dealers has been really good.

Buying our latest car at Holden though, the dealer was dead quiet. Walk past one and they will probably try to shove a car into your pocket.

Expect deals on the Equinox too.

The brands outside of Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia seem to be struggling at the moment with private buyers.
Must admit,mine where too.I had a fairly good relationship with my local dealer when I had my two Ford’s,everything was completed without any prob’s.Cheers
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #41
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford dealer at Southport Gold Coast is terrific. they have been great updating and clutch relacing in our powershift Fiesta, they go to the trouble of loading it up in test drive with 4 burly mechanics and if its out of spec its gets fixed. Since they put a ceramic clutch in last March its been perfect. So much so that even though they are dearer I get teh Fiesta serviced there.

With my car which is a manual LZ Focus bought in Toowoomba I took it in to get the seat checked as I was getting a sore back. They were respectful and helpful. turned out the seat was fine a month or two later I found out I have spine issues. And I have had no relationship with them on the Focus didnt buy it there and I have it serviced by an (non Ford dealer)inpededent.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #42
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
There would be very little money in new small cars. Just picked up a new Astra, the stuff you get in small cars and their price is pretty incredible. Didn’t look at the Focus, but the market is so competitive that you can afford to be picky even with a very low budget.
yeah well there is another argument. 19k for Astra on 2017 specials 110kw/250nm. Focus 134kw and 240nm 2017 specials 23500-24400.

Is a Focus 4 or 5k better than an Astra?

Fords ''premium'' pricing model drives buyers to a competing dealer.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #43
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

People didn't want small Fords even when they were winning awards regularly and selling well overseas. The gearbox fiasco has killed them completely. It would take 10-15 years to get Focus back to the top of its segment. It could be done but as the market is starting to shift it may not be worth it. If they cut the price they could possibly shift them but it would cheapen the product and reduce profit.

Mazdas success has been mainly off its looks and being seen as trendy. I've lost count of the number of women that have said they like the look of them and want one as their next car. Hyundai has always been the value option built on the success of the Excel 25 years ago.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #44
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
A while back didn't Ford say they were going to bring in a whole heap of new performance vehicles?

But every time they announce an interesting new performance vehicle we get told, not for Australia. If the Ranger Raptor gets the same engine as the rest of the range, you can't really call that performance either, I don't care if it gets better brakes.

I think a big area Ford falls behind is tech.
My FG G6e has the same tech as the 90s Fairlane Ghia we have at work. About the only thing extra is the auto dimming rear view mirror. Admittedly that probably wouldn't have saved the Falcon. The base model Mondeo is light years ahead in the tech department, but they're not selling great. Large car buyers do seem to be moving to dual cab utes and SUVs.

Tech is a huge thing in the small car market. The buyers tend to be young urban dwellers. The i30 sells like hotcakes, and it's loaded with tech and gadgets. While Fiestas are fun to drive (I was surprised when I tested one), it's been left in the 90s inside.
The new Fiesta might actually compete, but we'll never see it. (Apparently one of the best selling cars in the UK too)

I honestly can't think of anything in the Ford range I'd want to buy if I went out to buy a new car tomorrow.
Focus ST, Mustang GT, Ranger Wildtrack with Tickford mods, I'd have one of each if the house was knocked down and turned into a garage.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've only ever bought one new Ford, the only new car i've ever bought and to be honest it was a pleasant experience.
Having said that, only one of the small cars mentioned in the recent posts is subject to a class action as a result of the thousands of unhappy customers and Fords refusal to come up with a satisfactory solution to the problems.
The fact that Ford have been helpful in certain cases doesn't deminish their responsibility to ALL ccustomers who bought Focus in good faith and recieved a lemon.
That is fact unfortunately.

Looks are subjective, i dont know many people who buy purely on looks alone and to be honest i prefer the look of the Focus over any of the cars in the segment, my Wife would own one in a heartbeat if not for the issues i've told her about and is now seriously considering an Astra to replace her Camry now that the older kids have their own cars abd its time to downsize.
Hell, when we bought her Camry we both preferred the look of the Mondeo over the Camry, however, without knowing the difference between the powershift auto's in Focus and Mondeo at the time, we went with the tried and proven Camry.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #46
4stanger