Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
Dustproof

Default LV II TDCI Cam Belt Change Intervals

Hi all,

I have an LV II TDCI Focus Auto, it is coming up for 200km's and I was wondering if anyone has had the Overhead Cam Belt changed? If so, what cost and what is the change interval.

I am having the Transmission serviced next week at 180,000km's, this will be the third change @ $390 then add Tyres and Rego and it is getting expensive.

How long should the clutches last in the Auto transmission? has anyone had a clutch change?

I want to work out how much I need to pay out versus getting a new car, my wife knocks up a lot of K's a week and I have had this Focus since new. I love the car but repair cost versus new and they don't make a Diesel any longer.

Thanks
Noel
Old 29-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Default Re: LV II TDCI Cam Belt Change Intervals

Where are you getting the trans serviced at?
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I thought the 2.0 Duratorq used a timing chain rather than a belt but the SRT for replacement is 2.5 hours and the replacement interval is 240,000 km (which would also suggest it isn't a belt).

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an LT tdci which I ran till 278000km and sold.

I had the belt replaced at 200, 000 (the engine is a joint Peugeot -Ford engine-PSA recommend change at 200k Ford 240k). I had it done by an independent Peugeot mechanic who had done the same job on Peugeots lots of times. Also had the water pump and tensioners changed.He showed me the old belt which was not worn at all. cost me
about 900bucks I think.

My car did 80% freeway and highway work.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell you what I bought an LZ 1.5 turbo Focus manual but man I miss that TDCI engine. The torque at speed and how it flattened hills. I had 5 adults in it one day and it felt no differnt with 450kg on board as opposed to its usual 95kg.
Lot more go than the LZ.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

It has both - on the DW10/duratorq engine, the exhaust cam is driven by the main timing belt, and then inlet cam is driven by a short timing chain between the inlet and exhaust cam sprockets.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Where are you getting the trans serviced at?
I always get Ford to service the Transmission @ nearly $400.00 Given it's a wet clutch, nobody else wants to touch it and I can understand that.
Old 30-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I thought the 2.0 Duratorq used a timing chain rather than a belt but the SRT for replacement is 2.5 hours and the replacement interval is 240,000 km (which would also suggest it isn't a belt).

Cheers
Russ
Apparently the Cam belt is both, chain and belt. It is Belt from the crank to the camshaft drive then chain between both cams. I guess it's because the engine is taller than a petrol version, but that is just a guess. I was looking in the Service manual and it is recommended to change at around 60k but it says 200k which needs to be done. It is confusing because the manual is one of those written for the UK, when I bought my original TDCi, I was told 240k. I have 20k before 200k comes up and the quote to fix is $866.30 by Ford.. I think they are including the Serpentine belt in that too.
Old 30-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
I had an LT tdci which I ran till 278000km and sold.

I had the belt replaced at 200, 000 (the engine is a joint Peugeot -Ford engine-PSA recommend change at 200k Ford 240k). I had it done by an independent Peugeot mechanic who had done the same job on Peugeots lots of times. Also had the water pump and tensioners changed.He showed me the old belt which was not worn at all. cost me
about 900bucks I think.

My car did 80% freeway and highway work.
Yeah, mine is about 80% highway running, it still has the original set of Brake Pads in the Front, I have changed the rears once. The tyre shop can't believe that one set of tyres had 80k on them and were just getting to the depth markers..
Old 30-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustproof View Post
I always get Ford to service the Transmission @ nearly $400.00 Given it's a wet clutch, nobody else wants to touch it and I can understand that.
Amazing the price diff, i have a Kuga TDCi and was quoted $500 for the service from FORD.
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Amazing the price diff, i have a Kuga TDCi and was quoted $500 for the service from FORD.
That is amazing, the cost for the oil is $300 and it can only be bought from Ford plus a filter and labour. My guess is that because you have an AWD there might be extra oil, I thought they are the same gearbox but maybe because of the AWD, it is bigger.
Old 31-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #12
jandj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustproof View Post
Hey Dustproof,
Mate my wife has a LV TDCI focus, we get our gearbox serviced at independent gearbox mechanic.
Costs us $300 for flush & filter change, and honestly speaking it shifts alot better now then when ford serviced gearbox.
And about $250 for filters & oil change .

Cheers Jason
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post