Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Default Towing With 2015 Mondeo 4cyl Turbo Diesel

Hi everyone,

We have a 2015 Ford Mondeo Trend with the 4cyl turbo diesel engine. It's done perhaps 20,000km.

My wife and i are due for long service leave so we have decided to spend 2 months on the road with the kids traveling around the east side of Australia. Sydney to Brisbane, Cairns, down to Alice Springs, Adelaide, Melbourne, and down around the coast back up to Sydney. One big loop. We have estimated a 15,000km round trip and we are heading out early December so it will be summer.

Due to a number of factors we would like to look at getting a camper trailer. As yet we don't have any towing equipment installed on the car.

So my questions are:
-Has anyone towed a camper trailer on their Mondeo and experienced any problems or have any lessons learnt?
-What was the fuel economy like? Without a trailer i have no doubt the car will just eat up the km but with...? Im not sure how the 4cyl would go
-What is the maximum towing capacity. Ford mentioned 750kg which seems low and would make the camper trailer idea impossible without additional measures as many camper trailers i have seen weigh 750kg when empty

Thanks in advance for any advice. If this doesn't pan out will look at roof racks and a tent. Hotels become exy over an 8 week period...

T

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Towing With 2015 Mondeo 4cyl Turbo Diesel

Braked towing capacity is 1200 kg - you'll need to check the tow-ball load as a lot of European cars are designed for lower limits than we usually build our trailers and vans to because they use different hitches.

Worth noting that braked towing capacity is 1600 kg for the diesel.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Thanks for that! I found a few simple camper trailers with a tare mass of 450kg and GVM of 750kg so that should be good for the Mondeo.

Curious to hear if anyone has towed a trailer long distances and what the fuel economy was like etc.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Old 19-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I towed an 8 by 5 box trailer with mine. Not loaded heavily, but still a substantial weight unladen. (280kg plus load).
A mixture of running conditions saw refuels at 8.04, 7.25 and 7.49 L/100km. I would not have been sparing the horses, and this was when the car was fairly tight (5,000km).
I recall overtaking on the big bridge south of Gosford, on the M1, and putting my foot down to get out of the way of a Commodore on my tail. When I looked back in the rear-view mirror, he had been left in my wake ��.
Yes, the Mondeo diesel is a great tow car!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: