Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
MattSAU2XR8

Default ALDI shower cleaner for wheels

Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct category but happy for mods to move it.

I've been ruminating for a while about how to source an economical wheel cleaner for my current drive which is a VE SS - sorry, prior to that AU XR8 and G6E Ecoboost. At any rate the Bendix Ultimates I'm running make a lot of dust and it gets expensive to remove, particularly if I want the chemicals to do the work rather than scrubbing/scratching up the wheels.

Pretty much all the commercial cleaners seem to use acid or alkali to render the brake dust (which is probably mostly disc rotor) soluble. The only question then becomes how strong, and concentrated, the acid or alkali is.

Main concern seems to be that it may damage or tunnel under the plastic clear coat on the wheels.

Which brought me to thinking about food acids used as cleaners. As it so happens ALDI shower cleaner in the silver bottle contains citric acid and lactic acid and costs $2.29 for a 750 ml bottle. And doesn't seem to damage plastic fittings, eg. perspex soap holders, in the bathroom.

So I bit the bullet, bought a bottle, diluted it by 50 % with tap water, and then went to the usual 'wash your own car' wash with the pressure hose. Made sure the brakes/wheels were cool, sprayed about 1/4 bottle on each wheel, and then hosed it off. Removed about 98 % of the gunk (5000 kms of bendix ultimate) with a single application and no apparent damage to clear coat. Only problem is that the spray bottle doesn't spray very easily so hands get tired.

I think though it would work quite well in future if it were further diluted to one part in 3 in a pump up parts cleaner spray bottle and used once a month for a cost of about $1.00 per clean.

Only thing to be careful of is aftermarket wheels - I note a lot of them don't guarantee their finish with commercially available wheel cleaners...
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:21 AM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: ALDI shower cleaner for wheels

I had Bendix Ultimates on my FG XR6T.
They are dusty but give awesome stopping power.

I found the best thing to do was to was to apply a coating of Qyeon Quartz Q2 wheel protection to the wheels.

Then you don't need to use any harsh chemicals to remove the brake dust.

You simply remove most of the brake dust with a pressure washer and then simply wipe them down using a microfibre cloth.

Here's the link to an article I wrote on how to apply the Qyeon Quartz Q2;

https://fordforums.com.au/showpost.p...&postcount=310
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Sioso
irregular member

I have been trying different cleaners on my Amarok wheels as they are a pain to clean with narrow channels cut all around the spokes - none of the cleaners were doing a decent job and they were costing me a fortune.
I ended up putting black steelies on it - problem solved.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Pis-ton broke
Banned

im not sure how dirty your wheels are, but ive used oven cleaner with great success. just be warned, it is highly caustic, use gloves, breathing mask (p1,p2) ,may affect materials (ie paint rubber) if left on to long. and kept kids, animals well away. sorry for all that but does work good, just be careful.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a thought, but if you're worried about scratches and clear coat damage personally I'd not use those 'wash your own car' places with a pressure washer and a soapy broom. I believe they use recycled water too.

My VE SS also makes a LOT of brake dust on the front wheels, it comes off easily just with a bucket of soapy water and a microfibre cloth. Or wash mitt. But waiting 5000km between car washes probably makes it harder to remove the baked on brake dust too.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for bucket of car wash and microfibre sponge or cloth. All the fancy stuff is not needed. I just use a separate bucket to the car.

I have chrome wheels so I do them quickly once every week or so and dry with an old chamois.

I polish them every six months as Go Further is suggesting with the equivalent for painted wheels.
CyberWasp is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

You could give this a try. Easy to apply, then wash off:
http://www.bowdensown.com.au/product...e/wheely-clean

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

I found the best thing to do was to was to apply a coating of Qyeon Quartz Q2 wheel protection to the wheels.

Then you don't need to use any harsh chemicals to remove the brake dust.

You simply remove most of the brake dust with a pressure washer and then simply wipe them down using a microfibre cloth.
I have std wheels on ma ute with aftermarket chrome rims.... cheapskate I know... after 12 months the previous chrome rims were disposed of as rust pitted to budgery .. Would this stuff work on them?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
nstg8a

Would want to hope the Aldi cleaner doesn't react with the car washes own cleaners in some way too. Some car wash owners keep an eagle eye to make sure customers don't contaminate their system.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #10
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

old bikers trick is to use canubra wax on your wheels
one coat and the brake dust and grime wipe straight off week after week.

a few months down the track when it's not as effective (or you're sick of wiping your wheels)
apply another coat of canubra wax

Worked wonders on the white wheels of my RG500 years ago and have used that method ever since
383hq is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have always washed the wheels when I wash the car ... which is sometimes 3 - 4 weeks between washes. I use Meguiars Gold wash on the car and the wheels (with a separate wash cloth for the wheels) and everything comes up sparkling. Mind you, my pads don't throw out much dust so my situation is a bit different from the OP.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #12
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Paint ya wheels white.

We all know that white doesn't show dirt as much.

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: