Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Magee

Default Vietnam to invest US $4 Billion to start making cars

Whilst the car industry has closed in Australia. VinFast has plans to set up a plant to make cars in Vietnam from scratch.

I have never heard about them until today but checking their website they have paid to have cars designed in Italy and will use BMW Engineering.

The company behind them is called Vingroup who are in just about every industry in Vietnam.

The interesting part is that they are looking for ready to go Automotive Engineers. It may be a good opportunity for some one who has been retrenched from the Australian Car Industry and is looking for a change in scenery for a few years.

I could not link the article as I got an error but I copied in the address below.

http://www.vir.com.vn/vinfast-spends...gns-55721.html
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vietnam to invest US $4 Billion to start making cars

Wonder how many passengers these Vietnamese car makers plan on fitting into these cars.......... LOL!!!!!!!

I've seen how many they fit on their scooters.......at least 5 people plus dad riding with the only helmet out of the rest of the family!!!

It seems to be reminding me of the G.M owned 'Daewoo' brand.....I've seen some of this Daewoo stuff first hand in other industries and its horrible horrible stuff.............

Last edited by GASWAGON; 31-05-2018 at 10:37 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Interesting; could this be Daewoos' new model:
http://www.vir.com.vn/former-gm-exec...s-vinfast.html

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder what happened to the manufacturing equipment used by Ford/Holden here? Wonder if/when it will be sent OS to kickstart some other competitor?

When the IT Company colloquially known as "Big Blue" packed up manufacturing here in Australia in early 2000's, the circuit board manufacturing stuff went to China to help progress their capabilities .. and as far as I know, a lot of the stuff used to build PCs sent to China (Lenovo) too?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Good on Vietnam, i really hope it goes well for them & its success empowers the appropriate people here in Australia to do likewise. We need our own proper auto manufacturering industry again imo for plenty of obvious reasons.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in Vietnam last year, they are making a lot of good decisions there, dedicated areas for tourism and they are the 2nd largest agricultural producer in Asia after Thailand. new ports were being made etc

However the cost of cars & trucks there is a killer, you only have to watch the start of Top Gear Vietnam to realise why they used Bikes.
they could easily take on car manufacture just for themselves

PS cheap holidays will fast disappear, wealthier Chinese & Koreans are flocking there in droves
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Interesting; could this be Daewoos' new model:
http://www.vir.com.vn/former-gm-exec...s-vinfast.html
Oh ye....well done G.M.

Make more Daewoo's...........................LOL!!!!

And we still got the 'Great Walls' and 'Tata' cars to deal with aswell???

FFS!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 12:31 AM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bwahahaha

I have lived and worked in Viet Nam.
Amazing people, but all I can say is "good luck with that."
I'm not exaggerating when I say that getting any project off the ground and operating, will take 2~3 times longer than anywhere else. Viet Nam is a graveyard of half-finished projects.

And as for quality control? Bwahahaha.

They are a lovely people, and easily the least materialistic I have encountered.
However their approach to QA/QC can best be described as "we don't give a ****," and "not my problem."
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how much cash our useless government will GIVE them. After all we just paid $160 million for a bridge for them
Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Good on Vietnam, i really hope it goes well for them & its success empowers the appropriate people here in Australia to do likewise. We need our own proper auto manufacturering industry again imo for plenty of obvious reasons.

cheers, Maka
Wouldn't that be great . No beholdin to an overseas parent company that controls the purse strings .

Just imagine a truly "Australia's Own Car " designed and built with vast tech savvy we really do have . With our ingenuity I'd be surprised if some far thinking proponent doesn't at least think about starting our own commercial vehicle or even special utility vehicle maker.

I know it was done before like the Bolwell Ikara etc ..but these are different times with no major backed companies like Ford ,GM , Toyota building locally to compete with .

The likelyhood is small of course but it'd be a fool to say never happen . Re daven 151's comment ..I agree . Money could be better spent in our own backyard ..Clean up your own mess before you clean up anybody else's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xf6SKgrYXc .. 1970's Bolwell story....

Zenvo in Denmark and Koenisegg in Sweden operate as small volume but profitable car makers . Why not us ?..

Last edited by roddy1960; 02-06-2018 at 10:29 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot to say ...Good luck to Vietnam if this means serious standard of living improvements for them , been through it all and such but the last thing the Vietnamese people would need is some sort of company/ companies coming in and using the workers on really low wages and lesser infrastructure unless it there was something in it for them . The world doesn't need another crappy Daewoo company that's for sure .

Last edited by roddy1960; 02-06-2018 at 10:39 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Wouldn't that be great . No beholdin to an overseas parent company that controls the purse strings .

Just imagine a truly "Australia's Own Car " designed and built with vast tech savvy we really do have . With our ingenuity I'd be surprised if some far thinking proponent doesn't at least think about starting our own commercial vehicle or even special utility vehicle maker.

I know it was done before like the Bolwell Ikara etc ..but these are different times with no major backed companies like Ford ,GM , Toyota building locally to compete with .

The likelyhood is small of course but it'd be a fool to say never happen . Re daven 151's comment ..I agree . Money could be better spent in our own backyard ..Clean up your own mess before you clean up anybody else's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xf6SKgrYXc .. 1970's Bolwell story....

Zenvo in Denmark and Koenisegg in Sweden operate as small volume but profitable car makers . Why not us ?..
The Brabham BT62 is hopefully the start of niche manufacturing here. They plan on making 72 at their adelaide factory (formerly the ZF plant that supplied the rear end for VE onwards Commodlore) and most are already spoken for. They are also planning some new models to follow on from that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
I wonder how much cash our useless government will GIVE them. After all we just paid $160 million for a bridge for them

That's chicken feed to Australia, to a project that probably otherwise wouldn't happen. 160 Million doesn't even plan a bridge here
Vietnam is Australia's largest growing partner, and Vietnamese are the 6th on our immigrants list.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: