Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2018, 12:59 AM   #31
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Chrysler brand gone?

Mopar will be in the Aussie car lovers eyes for a long while yet . The old leaning tower of power combined with the 904 Torqueflite really left the others looking a bit lacking for years. This old girl still amazes be how nicely it drives and shifts. Sorry the oustside shot is so bad but you get the idea. I restored her years ago, in the family since new. I might have modified the engine just a little bit too. Looks stock but sharp eyes will see the differences. I loved the earlier models. I also have a AP5 Safari Wagon waiting its turn in the queue.

Long live the great Aussie Val

My VG Regal,
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #32
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Were the Aussie Valiants branded as Chrylsers? Or was Valiant a brand in itself?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #33
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...-maserati-alfa

Alfa Romeo

Alfa Romeo plans to revive its 8C supercar and GTV sports car in a bid to reboot the storied Italian sports-car maker that has failed to meet ambitious growth targets in the past. The brand will also launch two news SUVs, drop diesels and focus more on China by introducing long-wheelbase sedans as its seeks to increase annual sales to 400,000 by 2022.

Alfa's new 8C will give the brand an "aspirational" supercar while the GTV will be a sports car that is as attainable as well as aspirational, said Tim Kuniskis, the brand's head. The 700-hp car will have a carbon fiber chassis and a twin-turbocharged mid-engine. It will accelerate from 0 to 100 kph (62 mph) in 3 seconds.

The GTV will have a 600-hp engine and seating for four people. It will feature all-wheel drive with torque vectoring.

Alfa’s future models include a compact SUV and a large SUV, expanding the SUV range to three beyond the current Stelvio. Kuniskis said it is important for Alfa to be able to "compete in two key segments where we have no presence today."

Maserati

Maserati will add a midsize SUV and an Alfieri coupe/cabrio to its product lineup as part of its plan to double vehicle sales to 100,000 by 2022.

The Alfieri sports car, a rival to Porsche's 911, was first revealed at the 2014 Geneva auto show but has faced delays ever since. The full-electric Alfieri coupe will reach a maximum speed of more than 300 kph (186 mph).

The Alfieri will be a halo car for the brand, capturing years of Italian design, said Kuniskis, who heads both Maserati and Alfa Romeo. It will have three powertrains including a plug-in hybrid. The fastest version will accelerate from 0-100 kph in 2 seconds, Kuniskis said.

The new midsize SUV will be positioned below the Levante. It will have a best-in-class lightweight platform, 50-50 weight distribution, superior ride and handling and a best-in-class power-to-weight ratio, Kuniskis said.

Jeep

FCA announced aggressive targets for expanding Jeep, which has become the company's ticket to create a high-margin brand with a global appeal. Jeep will launch nine new products, enter three new segments including large SUVs.

Jeep plans to expand its global lineup into the smaller A-segment market. It will broaden its portfolio in North America with a new three-row version of the Grand Cherokee, as well as a return of the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer.

The brand will electrify all vehicles in its portfolio in some fashion by 2022, with 10 plug-in hybrid versions and four full-electric models by 2022. Jeep will stop selling diesel vehicles in Europe.

It said it expects one out of every 12 utility vehicles sold industrywide by 2022 to be a Jeep, but stopped short of giving a precise sales goal. The brand over the long term aims for 20 percent of the global utility market.

Ram

FCA's Ram truck unit aims to grow global sales by up to 30 percent and in doing so become the No. 2 commercial vehicle brand in North America. It will bring a production model of its 2015 Ram TRX off-road pickup to market to take on the popular Ford F-150 Raptor, Ram brand head Mike Manley said. The move is intended to aid Ram’s average transaction price, which lags major competitors from Ford and Chevrolet largely because of the age of the old model Ram 1500 pickup.

The brand also hopes to improve its pricing with the introduction in 2019 of a new Heavy Duty version of its Ram pickup, which will significantly update the technology of its existing line. The current Heavy Duty Ram transacts at an average of $50,000, about even with Chevrolet, but far below the $56,000 average enjoyed by Ford in the segment, Manley said.

Brand boss Mike Manley also promised that Ram would enter the midsize pickup race soon, joining the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon and the return of the Ford Ranger. He did not say if the new midsize pickup would revive the Dakota nameplate used when pickups were under the Dodge brand.

On the commercial van side, FCA will bring a new version of the Ram ProMaster City, its small commercial van, by 2022, but will leave the current larger ProMaster commercial van, without a significant update, Manley said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil
https://www.caradvice.com.au/653510/...e-axed-report/

They’ve only got 2 models left in the US.
That report only mentioned Chrysler once, basically saying we’re undecided.
My prediction is 300 will be discontinued, Pacifica will replace the México made and aged Dodge Journey/Fiat Fremont twins.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #34
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Were the Aussie Valiants branded as Chrylsers? Or was Valiant a brand in itself?
Chrysler.

I recall skippers being a Chrysler dealer here.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #35
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Tipping a replacement 300 to be badged as a Fiat or Alfa...
People like the 300 because it's a big, bulky sedan. If it's badged as a Euro it will attract buyers that like Euro sedans. Plus it wouldn't be much of a replacement unless they build a huge, imposing big engined sedan with a Fiat.
Yeah I can't see that happening.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #36
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Mopar will be in the Aussie car lovers eyes for a long while yet . The old leaning tower of power combined with the 904 Torqueflite really left the others looking a bit lacking for years. This old girl still amazes be how nicely it drives and shifts. Sorry the oustside shot is so bad but you get the idea. I restored her years ago, in the family since new. I might have modified the engine just a little bit too. Looks stock but sharp eyes will see the differences. I loved the earlier models. I also have a AP5 Safari Wagon waiting its turn in the queue.

Long live the great Aussie Val

My VG Regal,
carter AFB?
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

No mention of Dodge's future?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #38
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mercury Bullet Skippers was on Adelaide Terrace towards the Causeway. Paceway ? in Cannington also sold Valiants.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #39
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do any of you all watch that show Graveyardcarz were they do up old Mopar's back to original spec, bloody funny little fat bugger that runs the show and the crap they get up to as well.

The cars come in looking like crap and they come out like new.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #40
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
carter AFB?
Close! just a 2 BBD off a Hemi. The Air filter is also off a Hemi since it’s bigger, but painted and decals to make it look stock. It’s also got a HEI ignition module,can’t see it in the pic, it’s down near the alternator,I also ported the head, bigger intake valves , a mild Tighe cam but much faster ramps and more lift, a better rod piston combo (rods are out of a 198 slant from the US, 7.005” long!) and a 2.2 Turbo Chrysler piston that has much better ring package than the stockers, but still nothing exotic. Bigger exhaust but very quiet. Still idles and drives nice and smooth and pulls pretty decent for a 225. No one would really pick it except these old girls only had a single barrel carb, the VEs had the 2BBL option. It’s also got the finned front drums off a V8 and a dual circuit master cylinder and booster from a VE. Its given a few people a little surprise.

Last edited by XByoot; 05-06-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:05 AM   #41
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Do any of you all watch that show Graveyardcarz were they do up old Mopar's back to original spec, bloody funny little fat bugger that runs the show and the crap they get up to as well.

I think I’ve seen it. Is it the one where he’s moved to a new huge factory and basically remanufactures Mopars? He does awesome work if it’s the show I’m thinking of.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #42
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Close! just a 2 BBD off a Hemi. The Air filter is also off a Hemi since it’s bigger, but painted and decals to make it look stock. It’s also got a HEI ignition module,can’t see it in the pic, it’s down near the alternator,I also ported the head, bigger intake valves , a mild Tighe cam but much faster ramps and more lift, a better rod piston combo (rods are out of a 198 slant from the US, 7.005” long!) and a 2.2 Turbo Chrysler piston that has much better ring package than the stockers, but still nothing exotic. Bigger exhaust but very quiet. Still idles and drives nice and smooth and pulls pretty decent for a 225. No one would really pick it except these old girls only had a single barrel carb, the VEs had the 2BBL option. It’s also got the finned front drums off a V8 and a dual circuit master cylinder and booster from a VE. Its given a few people a little surprise.
I wouldn't have picked the air filter, I've got no doubt it would go good , those bloody old val's still go alright.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #43
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think I’ve seen it. Is it the one where he’s moved to a new huge factory and basically remanufactures Mopars? He does awesome work if it’s the show I’m thinking of.
Yes it is.
Be good to have the $ to do that.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #44
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
People like the 300 because it's a big, bulky sedan. If it's badged as a Euro it will attract buyers that like Euro sedans. Plus it wouldn't be much of a replacement unless they build a huge, imposing big engined sedan with a Fiat.
Hasn't stopped Fiat before...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #45
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
People like the 300 because it's a big, bulky sedan. If it's badged as a Euro it will attract buyers that like Euro sedans.
The 300 platform is based off an old Mercedes E-class so it's already Euro heritage.
Apparently they already tried badge-engineering it as a Lancia Thema in 2011-2014 .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Thema

Quote:
Plus it wouldn't be much of a replacement unless they build a huge, imposing big engined sedan with a Fiat.
Fiat built some very big HP pre-war racecars .. they have a history/capability for building stuff like this, but it's not their market.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #46
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post

Iv'e seen most of that show. The guy is the last word in Mopar history from what I have seen. Nice bunch of 'Cuda's and Charger's waiting out the back to be restored.
In my opinion, the original 300 series were some of the best cars built in the 60's. There is a whole bunch of 300's. Here are two of my favourite models.
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/43218408 and https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/34338687

Last edited by au350hp; 05-06-2018 at 11:51 AM.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #47
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Mercury Bullet Skippers was on Adelaide Terrace towards the Causeway. Paceway ? in Cannington also sold Valiants.
Paceway Chrysler was in Osborne Park, had the old Valiant on the roof. Cannington was Southside Chrysler, you may recall the 'Southside Rebels, we keep the flag flying' ad's. Another was in Leederville, fairly sure it was Leederville Chrysler near Oxford Close.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #48
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years back there was talk about the Next Gen 300C being FWD based.

The General feedback wasn't good, perhaps they are canning a doomed project before it costs them.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
A few years back there was talk about the Next Gen 300C being FWD based.

The General feedback wasn't good, perhaps they are canning a doomed project before it costs them.
Marchioni said a few days ago that the new Charger/Challenger will be on an updated version of the current platform, which is an ancient E class Merc platform.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #50
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Marchioni said a few days ago that the new Charger/Challenger will be on an updated version of the current platform, which is an ancient E class Merc platform.
I shook my head in disbelief after reading that.

That platform was dated when Chrysler launched those products based on a superseded E-Class. And they are now going to top hat them again! FCA are a basket case.

Geez, and people slagged the Falcon for being based on an outdated platform.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #51
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

That platform was dated when Chrysler launched those products based on a superseded E-Class. And they are now going to top hat them again! FCA are a basket case.

Hard to judge whether it is still a good platform without a drive.

These two certainly stand out pleasantly in US car parks and highways.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #52
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valiant's that I like best and would own.
SV1 look better than RV1 but RV1 are a fine car.
AP6 wagon can look good.
VG with 245 2bbl Pacer 4 door and Hardtop.
VH Charger R/T 265 2bbl 4sp, when pro tuned they performed well.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #53
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll have this one thanks

ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I'll have this one thanks

Bzzzt. I don't think thats a Charger
Old 07-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #55
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

That is a "Lets take the stretched Chrysler, stretch it a little more, and only give it two doors"
Chrysler by Chrysler two door .... I think the body shape was also available as a less premium Regal.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Haha you got that right. A nearly 30 year old platform.

FCA are in pretty bad shape and just couldn't afford a new one.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #57
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Bzzzt. I don't think thats a Charger either

Thread is about Chrysler yeah?
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #58
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Best car ad ever. Prime contractor Saturn I.

MAGA
Old 07-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #59
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if they aren't moving to a new platform does this mean no RHD Chargers or Challengers
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #60
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
So if they aren't moving to a new platform does this mean no RHD Chargers or Challengers
Well by the way they were referring to the Chrysler and Dodge brands not being "global" I think that all but spells the end to the very small glimmer of hope that they would be made in RHD.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post