Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
guscorty

Default Reaction Time

Hello Everyone,
I was just reading some of the posts and seeing reaction times of .008,.042,etc. Apart from shear skill is there anything in particular that is done to achieve these times. Do you leave when the second last amber goes off, or do you go as deep as you can into the staging lights,etc.
Cheers

guscorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Reaction Time

knowing how quick your car responds to accelerator input can be a big factor, but most guys will leave on the last amber but everybody has different reflex times, you need to practice to see what works for you.
Deep staging can help you get a quicker reaction time but may add a little (very little) to your et

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
trbo 6

Drag cars would normally have a delay box setup to a transbrake. The driver just holds the revs whilst holding a button on the steering wheel. Release the button on the first amber and the delay box will release the transbrake on the green.
trbo 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
prasac
Banned

you need to try and stage in the exact same spot if you can and keep the same revs, first pass i will leave when i see the green, that way i can see how long it takes my car to react and cross the beams. then i work back from that. my lil daily nugget runs mid 14's, i usually leave soon as the 2nd amber turns off and the car cuts .0xx lights. have only cut 1 perfect .000 light so far, though only done less than 100 passes over the 1/4.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Deep staging might work better for reaction, but for the benefit of the actual 1/4 time i normally stage as shallow as possible.

Normally go after the 2nd amber but not straight after.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

A .00 is just a red light waiting to happen or a red light gone wrong lol. Test your own reaction time and then work out your cars add the two together. Then work out on which light you need to leave, each one is .400 apart.

To have repeated success you need to stage exactly the same each time
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
guscorty

Thanks for the replies Everyone.
Cheers
guscorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post