Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #31
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: EF XR6 is this becoming rare?

G'day all , It's great to see it's not just the beaut GT's and Tickfords that are being genuinely valuable. I'd like to think that a number of the XR's ,not least the EF XR6 , will be sought after over the years too . Definitely the well looked after BA onwards turbo's will be I'm confident of .Gave Ford XR's a double barrel with the V8 and turbo 6 in the performance categories that's for sure between 202 and 2016.

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-10-2017 at 09:22 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2017, 02:20 AM   #32
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Yup, all of that happened to the XW-Y in the 90's from parts being worthless to newer cars being faster off the mark, look at them now...
The problem is there is only one XY. What else will be the next XY? The XE? ED? EL? AU? BF? FG? FGX? You can usually tell the future favourite a mile off. Don't think it's the EF/EL. I don't think there will be another XY craze until the the BF or FG hit classic status and by then there probably wont be petrol available.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #33
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually there were 100,474 XYs built, including some pretty pedestrian versions of the family car. Don't get me wrong, a 250 XY Futura column manual is a delight to drive, you can potter corners in top, & its smooth and refined. Owning an XW Fairmont GS, I know the refinement, they were still competitive years after release, and as an open road car with the 302 they are a beautiful thing. In the same vein, EL XR6 combine all round handling and comfort ability and are a high point of the Falcon. Maybe people will value it in the future after their spines have been fused in the current generation of midsize SUVs? For my 2c, the high points of the Falcon are not the Phase 3 or race victory, but rather the best handling road cars of each era accessible to the common driver: XT GT,XW-Y GS 302, EBII S-XR6, ED-F-L XR6, and the total dark horse: AU XR IRS. Those later ones got the Tickford magic wand waved over them, like some Aston Martins did...
Old 22-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #34
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

^^^^Well said Sprintey, i have a similar philosophy.

My dad always raved about his 6 cylinder vinyl roofed XY Fairmont, he said it was better package than his XC GXL, better built, more solid to drive etc lol. He loved the v8 version but for a family man he said the six was good too & did the job.

My S1 Tickford Vct is only a six but the old girl handles like its on rails & i value that more than its grunt (which is adequate & alot for a warm NA six). My sig says it all about my under the radar Tickford lol, much much better but very reminiscent of my old VG Pacer.

Any other AU snippets Sprintey, your linking of Aston Martin has me very curious for more info, i thought there was a Jaguar link (irs) but i know Ford owned both marques at the same time early 2000's.

Wheel's ranked the AU Xr8 third behind a M5 & S Type Jaguar back when they come out, pretty good company for a Aussie built car i say lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #35
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
^^^^Well said Sprintey, i have a similar philosophy.

My dad always raved about his 6 cylinder vinyl roofed XY Fairmont, he said it was better package than his XC GXL, better built, more solid to drive etc lol. He loved the v8 version but for a family man he said the six was good too & did the job.

My S1 Tickford Vct is only a six but the old girl handles like its on rails & i value that more than its grunt (which is adequate & alot for a warm NA six). My sig says it all about my under the radar Tickford lol, much much better but very reminiscent of my old VG Pacer.

Any other AU snippets Sprintey, your linking of Aston Martin has me very curious for more info, i thought there was a Jaguar link (irs) but i know Ford owned both marques at the same time early 2000's.

Wheel's ranked the AU Xr8 third behind a M5 & S Type Jaguar back when they come out, pretty good company for a Aussie built car i say lol!

cheers, Maka
Preaching to the choir here Maka but I posted a link to a video the other day about the first 50 years of the Falcon 1960-2010 and the AU featured heavily as one of the Falcons that led innovative improvements with suspension /handling and overall safety. The AU might have been critisized for it's looks but it's technical improvements were class leading at the time. No doubt BA-FGX innovation and further improvements flowed from that before the demographic pointed us away from Australian built family sedans etc. Cheers Rod.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #36
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Preaching to the choir here Maka but I posted a link to a video the other day about the first 50 years of the Falcon 1960-2010 and the AU featured heavily as one of the Falcons that led innovative improvements with suspension /handling and overall safety. The AU might have been critisized for it's looks but it's technical improvements were class leading at the time. No doubt BA-FGX innovation and further improvements flowed from that before the demographic pointed us away from Australian built family sedans etc. Cheers Rod.
Roddy, youve got to wonder what Ford US were thinking back when the AU Falcon was released, if they didnt meddle & adapted the AU to Aussie market needs properly, it would've been better accepted & more successful imo. World car material too, export potential not fully utilized was a mistake.

Winning at Bathurst would've been some nice icing on the cake for the AU Falcon, but then the media darling VT Commodore was going gang busters for 12 months before the AU come to market..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 22-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #37
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Real fans of Falcon hot sixes would recognize that the Ef Xr6 is the spiritual successer to the original much loved first version (Eb1? non quad headlight front) which was widely hailed as the first modern revival of the original Aussie hot six.

Anyway, there is good history behind the EF Xr6 & a good one is worth hanging on to for sure. People also love them for the Barra engine conversion, so there is a market for them & they will imo appreciate in value nicely but not wildly in value.

Good luck to the op with their Ef Xr6, nice piece of kit you have!!!

cheers, Maka

Old 22-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #38
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post

But the brakes are weak and half the non turbo 4's will keep up with you off the lights and any turbo 4 will see you off while your 4l or 5L drinks fuel like a drunken sailor. Future collectability factor not good IMO

Who buys an old car whether it's collectable or not because it's quick, fuel efficient and brakes well?

If you want that then buy a late model car.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #39
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sold mine for $1000 last year with a dead head gasket. White, auto, no body kit, 220K, comletely original, near perfect paint, perfect interior.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #40
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Who buys an old car whether it's collectable or not because it's quick, fuel efficient and brakes well?

If you want that then buy a late model car.

I would to replace my El XR8. If you find one let me know about it
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #41
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't like to put a dampener on any Fords and I have a nice EL2 XR8 daily driver myself which I like for comfort (better driving position than AU) and appearance.

But go the E series Owners Club facebook site and see how many are changing hands for peanuts. XR's included. You can't give some parts away. People actually advertise to get spares for free. I took a a heap of stuff to scrap metal the other day after keeping it in storage thinking it was going to be hard to come by.Only are few items like front blinkers bring any decent money

Yes they are a nice car to drive and handle well. But the brakes are weak and half the non turbo 4's will keep up with you off the lights and any turbo 4 will see you off while your 4l or 5L drinks fuel like a drunken sailor. Future collectability factor not good IMO
Show me where these XR's are changing hands for peanuts. Think you may need to have a closer look. Hard to find an ED XR8 for sale these days, XR6 in unmolested nick even harder. Can't remember the last time I saw a EB or EB2 XR6 for sale either. Show me the links and I'll try to agree with you. They aren't worth much now but they are snapped up very quickly in any condition with some people thinking of putting them away long term.

I think we'll be bumping threads like this in a few years to see who was well off the mark and call them out.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #42
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Show me where these XR's are changing hands for peanuts. Think you may need to have a closer look. Hard to find an ED XR8 for sale these days, XR6 in unmolested nick even harder. Can't remember the last time I saw a EB or EB2 XR6 for sale either. Show me the links and I'll try to agree with you. They aren't worth much now but they are snapped up very quickly in any condition with some people thinking of putting them away long term.

I think we'll be bumping threads like this in a few years to see who was well off the mark and call them out.
E Series Owners Club classifieds on FB.
Manual ED XR6 186,000 with sunroof $2350 listed on Sat
Auto EL XR6 white 156000 all parts for sale 14 Oct.
EF XR6 Red all parts for sale 19 Oct

Just keep scrolling in there. You are flat out giving most parts away. Fairmonts a plenty. Hope you have a big shed
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #43
portokatsiki

E series XRs are the GS falcons of the 70s. I would hold on to it no doubt. As for arguments about desirability and parts galore in ten years try to find XR interior in good nick or front bumpers or blinkers or twin headlights or even the tickford body kit option. Not everyone values their cars like most of us here or appreciate them or even have room or desire to keep them.
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #44
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
E Series Owners Club classifieds on FB.
Manual ED XR6 186,000 with sunroof $2350 listed on Sat
Auto EL XR6 white 156000 all parts for sale 14 Oct.
EF XR6 Red all parts for sale 19 Oct

Just keep scrolling in there. You are flat out giving most parts away. Fairmonts a plenty. Hope you have a big shed
The Cobalt ED turned out to be one that keeps getting passed on because it's rough as guts.

Wrecks can't be included. They are wrecks.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #45
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

They have double in value in the last 5 years.
They’re now worth $200
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 03:05 AM   #46
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by portokatsiki View Post
E series XRs are the GS falcons of the 70s. I would hold on to it no doubt. As for arguments about desirability and parts galore in ten years try to find XR interior in good nick or front bumpers or blinkers or twin headlights or even the tickford body kit option. Not everyone values their cars like most of us here or appreciate them or even have room or desire to keep them.
I was trying to sell an immaculate EL XR interior for $150 and had zero luck.
Going to have to wait for them to become desirable again.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #47
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Who says E series Xr6's are going for peanuts these days -

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/F...SSE-AD-4963263

This one is immaculate & hope the seller can get what he's asking, seller says best in Oz in the comments, suit car museums, collecters etc. Good luck to the seller, dont know if it will be a quick sale though!

cheers, Maka

2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #48
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

This one is immaculate & hope the seller can get what he's asking, seller says best in Oz in the comments, suit car museums, collecters etc. Good luck to the seller, dont know if it will be a quick sale though!

cheers, Maka
Lol, 'Most car experts agree that the Ford Falcon EL Tickford XR6 (especially in 5-speed manual form) is the best 6 cylinder performance sedan produced in Australia last century..'

The AU2 XR6 VCT is a far better car.

Last edited by BENT_8; 25-10-2017 at 10:26 AM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #49
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Lol, 'Most car experts agree that the Ford Falcon EL Tickford XR6 (especially in 5-speed manual form) is the best 6 cylinder performance sedan produced in Australia last century..'

The AU2 XR6 VCT is a far better car.
Semantics i know lol but a little correction here to be fair, Au2 is this century April 2000 release, Au1 released on to the market in September 1998 afaik.

cheers, Maka

Old 25-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #50
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, why would you get a second hand Sprint and a second hand XR6T to daily when you could get an EL XR6 for the same price?

Got to wonder if that note to bed-wetters at the end of the ad is as effective as trying to wave a red-flag to stop a bull - like just makes people want to annoy him even more as he has shown he is sensitive to feedback re his asking price.

Should really get in quick - probably have to pay overs to land this one, maybe 6 figures?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #51
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Semantics i know lol but a little correction here to be fair, Au2 is this century April 2000 release, Au1 released on to the market in September 1998 afaik.

cheers, Maka
Actually the 20th century is from the 1st of January 1901 till 31st December 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century

AU2 was released April 2000.

But I was waiting for someone to suggest otherwise, which is why I checked first...
Old 25-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #52
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Actually the 20th century is from the 1st of January 1901 till 31st December 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century

AU2 was released April 2000.
Yeah ok, I'm not Gregorian, I'm a bogan & follow bogan ano domino, only joking lol!

cheers, Maka

Old 25-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #53
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Yeah ok, I'm not Gregorian, I'm a bogan & follow bogan ano domino, only joking lol!

cheers, Maka
Me too, but Google is your friend.
Old 25-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #54
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

cheers, Maka
Oh wow

$75000 for a 150,000km travelled car

Now that's given me a chuckle

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD [MM .352]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #55
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Brother sold one a few years back in NZ for FA, only had one enquiry who luckily bought it.
He few from the bottom of the Sth Island to Auckland and drove it back.
It overheated on the way and he called my brother to see what he was going to do about it....
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

cheers, Maka
Delusional fool.

Don't know why he even wasted the time to put the ad up cause it won't sell in a million years. I was expecting it to have delivery kms or something. But to have done 150,000 km is taking the p**s.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #57
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Delusional fool.

Don't know why he even wasted the time to put the ad up cause it won't sell in a million years. I was expecting it to have delivery kms or something. But to have done 150,000 km is taking the p**s.
I thought it was someone from here who'd read this thread and was trying to be smart, then I saw the ad hasn't been modified since September.
Old 25-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #58
Windsor220
Now Fordless

It represents good investment value apparently.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #59
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's good news for the OP - puts the value of their one somewhere between $45k-$55k.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #60
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read an article recently that listed three affordable cars to watch. One of them was a ELXR6. We all know the EF had atrocious handling which improved with the Series II but the EL was the best of the lot and had arguably the better looking front bar. In regards to the OP, the kms are high but if the difficult to source & costly parts are in good shape, it will be a car that will always attract interest, but it won't set any sales records. $2-3000 now, maybe double in 10 years? A bloke near me has a lowish km EFII XR8 in excellent cond. He advertised it for 2 years as low as $4000ono and never sold it. That kind of says something...
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post