Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #151
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

When i had my old LTD bushbasher i was searching for some fuel in the shed and sure enough i found a jerry can full of what appeared to be petrol so i filled her up and tried to crank it over it blew some serious smoke and ran for about a second and blew flames from the carby with a whole lotta smoke long story short it turned out to be diesel and i had to bleed the fuel system and buy some petrol but strangely enough the car had ran better than it ever had after that. i was only 13 at the time so it was a good lesson learnt.
70caprigt3k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 05:12 AM   #152
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

Unbeknown the harmonic balacer has rotated on the cleveland, when we tried to tune it it was 180 out, well we thought we had tdc, fuel went into the sump...... and boom, blew the l hand rocker cover completely off.

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #153
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

had to reverse my car out to get some things welded on. Sitting there for like 20 minutes wondering why it wouldnt move, handbrake was off. started to try and lift it up and psin the wheel, stuffing around for ages. Then someone says 'is it in gear?' :
Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #154
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
Let me guess making and selling fire extinguishers

or

Fire proof clothing
Or making fire proof cloths with built in jacks!:nutsycuck

Mine would be fitting my brand new vielside kit to my Swift. 4 days later, did a fishy on a dirt road....came back and refitted the original kit... I was so p***ed and upset at myself for being so stupid.

Also doing 155Kph on an old backroad (sealed road) with about 1/2 a litre of water in my front wheel (same car). Was like sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle! lol.

Was working at Mobil once. Guy came down to the back of the servo (where we serviced the cars) and said he just filled his Toyota LandCruiser with 160L of unleaded.... we ended up having to drain all the fuel in the tank and then he had to refill the tanks again with Diesel... lol - expensive

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #155
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Have one of those high pressure cleaners at work that have a diesel engine built in...

Well lets just say that the diesel engine won't run on truck wash (soap)!

Had a mate that did a DIY NOS install, he plumbed the nitrous line straight into a vaccuum line, never mind about the spray bars or extra fuel...

got lean out?

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #156
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Best one i herd, happened long time ago. A not very smart motor mechanic apprentic was told to fill car x with oil. They had one of those large pump driven oil fillers where you don't do anything. Apprentice filled the engine till it was full of oil, i mean, till oil came out of the cap in the rocker cover.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #157
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brother in law (who knows sfa about cars) couldnt figure out how people got the oil into their engines so quickly. Turns out he was trying to put it in through the dipstick tube.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #158
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
Brother in law (who knows sfa about cars) couldnt figure out how people got the oil into their engines so quickly. Turns out he was trying to put it in through the dipstick tube.
haha ive heard a similar story but this kid put the oil in the carby, or tried too... not sure exactly what happened but he didnt have an apprenticeship the next day...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #159
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Biggest mistake made while working on cars?

Letting my gf of the time watch....

"Are you sure you know what you are doing???"

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #160
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weve all ha little ups it you think you havent take another look at your self, My best one was when I was a 1st year the shop was busy and as I wanted the hoist for the job I was doing I desided to help the other apprentice finish of a 5000k sercive on a manual Group A Commadore (nothign hard about that) he was filling the washer or somthig nI finshed filling the oil lent in the window to start it to fill the filter before checking the oil, didnt check to see if it was in gear the bloody thing started as soon as I hit the key and drove its self in to bench/wall not alot of dammage but it wasnt easy to tell the owner who was waiting in the waiting room for his car
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #161
gtfpv
GT

my friend and i built a buggy when i was 17 we were both 1st year apprentices . we bought an old beetle took the body off and fabricated a roll cage which also held the engine in place we thought it was a good idea to mount 2 not one fuel tanks over the engine.
the only mistake we made was fitting fuel line . off the lawn mower !!!! from th tanks to the pump.
exhaust manifolds melted fuel line on 1st trip. we saw flames . stopped i ran away. mate tried to kick fuel tanks off to save the buggy i could hear the petrol boiling in the tanks . next thing he vanishes into a mushroom cloud.
he had 6 months off work with a 3rd degree burn to his thigh.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #162
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMan
Have one of those high pressure cleaners at work that have a diesel engine built in...

Well lets just say that the diesel engine won't run on truck wash (soap)!
Haha, one of our Apprentice's did that..

My uncle was doing something to his EF when it wasn't very old, had a Brick on the Accelerator for some stuiped reason, jumped in to move it & forgot the Brick was there & reversed into a Brick wall causing heaps of damage!

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 01:27 AM   #163
andeek
0-100km/h in 15mins

Silliest mistake I ever made was trying to fit an auto trans to my old VN by myself. I twisted the handle on the trolley jack supporting the trans by accident while under the car. Needless to say I spent a bit of time (about 25 mins) pinned under a car with a turbo 700 gearbox sitting on my chest. Luckily I didn't break anything and found a way to free myself. After I refitted the trans I took it for a test drive and discovered I'd split one of the cooler hoses on the trans.... was a thick grey cloud of smoke behind me.... doh.

One of my mates re-ringed his 253 in his HX Kinga.... didn't really know what he was doing. Ended up he lined all the gaps of the rings up in a row instead of offset....lol. He spent a bit of time figuring that one out. Same guy had a flat battery so I was trying to push-start his car. Here I am pushing this lump of crud holden waiting for him to drop the clutch and start the car. It wasn't till about 10 meters down the road that I discovered he was rolling in neutral turning the key waiting for it to start (like pushing the car was gonna recharge the battery).
andeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 01:58 AM   #164
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

dropped my oil, changed filter, poured new oil in.. only to find my mate pull my sump plug out of his pocket and asking me if i needed it.. bye bye to $30 of magnatec...

good rinse i guess.. gee did dad crack the s at the oil slick in the driveway..

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #165
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The most expensive mistake was dialling in a cam and not turning the engine by hand first before starting it. Car kicked over and the engine was destroyed.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #166
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Pulled my oil filter but the old rubber o-ring stayed stuck to the block. Fitted the new filter and the old o-ring got squashed out. Started car and after several minutes found the main arterial wound bleeding several litres of oil on my driveway. :

No 2. fitted new gearbox and when putting bellhousing on from under the car there was the coil ignition wire dangling at the back of the engine which I'd accidently trapped between the bellhousing and block. Turn the key...nothing for a few seconds, then WHOOOMPHFF! Fried all the wiring. My burnouts don't create that much white smoke!! ;)

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #167
gbright
lovin every second of it

1 rebuilding a cleavo trying to rotate the crank to undo conrods couldnt for the life of me get it to rotate it was about 3 hours later i relised that i had attached it to the engine stand with the drive plate still on and one of the bolts was creating a large amount of pressure
2 same engine when i first bought it couldnt get my hands on a trailer so i thought she'll be right just put the seats down in the mitsubishi colt we got it in there ok {with the aid of a forklift} in the end it took 4 guys an engine crane and removing the hatch to get it out {i was this far from pulling out the angle grinder and just cutting it out lucky it didnt come to that}
gbright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 05:02 AM   #168
fmc351
let it burn

Lightbulb Yeah, real bright.

Not sure if this should go here, or in the Bar. But its auto related so here it is.

A mate and myself just rebuilt the front end of an XF (yeah I dont know why either). After doing all the bushes, ball joints, tie rods etc we decide to repack the wheel bearings. Being only about 6 months old and not loose on the car theyre still good so no point wasting more money. Anyway cleaned em up in some degreaser and then blew em out with the airgun as Ive done many times before. This time I decided to hold the things on their side, the runner between my fingers, I hit the air across the outer edge, they start spinning, cool :dr_Evil: . Faster and faster, they start to sound like an air ratchet free spinning. Something said stop now, but yeah well, its like wet paint. The noise gets louder until they start whistling, louder and louder, I mean it was loud........ then POP like a .22. Bearings all over the shed, a blown out cage and an empty runner and a bruise on the palm of my hand. :

So what was the last dumb thing you did? :baby bott
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #169
Falcon Freak
Banned

FF

EDIT - and that makes it 1,000 posts for me! :
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #170
EFDream
XRR83D

Couldn't get the rivets out of the case holding the factory amp on the inside of my Fairmont's boot so I used a screwdriver (from inside the boot) to try and lever the bracket out. End of storry I managed to make a few dents in the side panel (from the inside) with the tip of the screwdrivaer as I wasn't paying atten. ggrrrrr. It's now gonna cost me a few dollars to get fixed.....stupid....

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #171
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Was ages ago now, but I was working on my project XD, and had put paint stripper on the bonnet, then sat on the ground in front of it to undo something while I waited for the paint to peel.
When I finished what I was doing I moved to get up, and put my arms on the bonnet to help myself.

Bad idea.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #172
muzz

Yesterday.
My car is misfiring on a cylinder but there is power in the lead. So I take out the spark plug and connect it to the lead to see if sparks. I asked the misses to turn the engine over and of course the plug hole starts spitting air and muck into my face. Lucky I didn't get an eye injury.

Just stupid of me.
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #173
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

HAHA i did that once before, at school, i can tell you the teacher was less than impressed.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #174
gbright
lovin every second of it

re post http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=39073
Old 09-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #175
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Threads merged
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #176
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Threads merged
Ah, thats what search is for. Id never have found it anyway.

thanks.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #177
Shea
Bass Mekanic

hahah some funny stories.
while working on my RS, was excited to be putting the last of the engine components in. got to the thermostat housing and couldnt find the right bolt. i found one that looked like it would go so i tried it. all was good and then it got pretty tight so i turned just a bit harder.. big mistake. bolt snapped off flush with the block!
argh damn drilled out the middle and got an easy out, only to have the easy out snap off in the bolt stuck in the block!!!
argh!
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #178
krazy1blue
Starter Motor

about 17 had my first valiant(yeah yeah) got a flat left front.didnt knuw they were left thread.broke two studs before dad told me.
krazy1blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #179
EAsyduzit
Starter Motor

Had put a "new" motor in an old vintage Austin 7 boattail with a mate and was leaning in with my head in under the side-lift bonnet when one of the brass fan blades flew past my ear when it unbalanced and disintegrated. Fresh jocks please!
Old 16-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #180
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Step dad's VR Commo did a water pump and he had to drive it to a mates place and fix it quick as he needed the car urgently. Long story short he told all of us to keep away while he undid the radiator cap on a near boiling engine but my step brother didn't listen an ended up with some real nice burns all over his face.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post