Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
SN2317
Starter Motor

Default Moving to Australia with my car

Hi,
I'm an owner of a 2011 Ford Galaxy Ecoboost 2.0 with the Powershift gearbox in Singapore. The Galaxy is a 7 seater based on the Mk 4 Mondeo and shares nearly all the mechanical parts. I'm planning to move to Tasmania at the end of the year. I'm trying to do some research on the maintenance of the Powershift gearbox in Australia as I'm thinking of shipping the car to Tasmania. In Singapore, traffic jams are very common and I've had a clutch seal failure and a mechatronics failure in the last 12 months. I'd like to hear from owners of the Mondeo with the Powershift gearbox. Is it easy to find a workshop that can perform maintenance on the Getrag 6DCT450 gearbox?
SN2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Moving to Australia with my car

Mate even if you are moving to Hobart the capital of Tassie the longest traffic jam you will encounter will only be 10 - 15 minutes so you shouldn't have issues in that respect.
But I'm sure you will be able to find some one In Hobart , Longseston or Davernport , that can service / maintain it for you.
Good luck and welcome to Auz

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

It may cost you a lot more than it’s worth to bring over. Seeing as they never sold the Galaxy, S-max or C-max here, you’ll find other parts will be a struggle down the track.

Have you considered selling the Galaxy and buying a Territory over here? Not an MPV as such but cheap and easy to buy and maintain, with a few flaws granted, but you wouldn’t want to find yourself in strife when trying to repair or service the Galaxy in the future.

Just a thought..

Cheers
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day , Welcome to the AFF , it's really really good . Also welcome (when you arrive) to my home State,Tasmania . There are some pretty good transmission places around the State but Hobart , Launceston , Devonport and Burnie are most likely cities to see you right .

Regardless of if you bring your current car or buy possibly a Ford here they are reasonable dealers via Tilford (Hobart) , Jackson Motor Company (Launceston) and Gowans Ford on the North West Coast ..

Tilfords Hobart have a pretty good stock actually of most of the available Ford products and the service is pretty fair too from personal experience .

Re Driving in Tassie ...Bugger all traffic jams as already been noted although Hobart's plethora of roundabouts can slow you a bit at times. Train hold ups at level crossings are minimal . Southern Outlet /Brooker Highway if there's been an incident might be slowish but never gridlock . Launceston is always pretty good . East and West Tamar Highways and the Bass Highway are reasonably fast and well signposted.

Rural roads abound , wildlife everywhere but the roads compared to Singapore will seem totally deserted . Surfaces are good on the A roads and fair (mostly) on B and C roads.

There is flora and fauna all over the place and the biggest bain for slow traffic is the ever increasing Campervan and Motor home brigade once they get off the Spirit of Tasmania ferries from the mainland .

We have beaut summers 22-30 C most of the time with the occasional "scorcher" in excess of 35 C or even 40+ C on rare occasions . Winter can see Minus 10 in the highlands but pretty mild on the coast with the odd frost or extremely rare snowfall to 600-700 metres . Proper snow in the Central Highlands , South West Wilderness , and a few other spots and there are four distinct seasons .

Not a bad spot to be if you relocate here later on .

If you finish up in Tassie and if you don't bring your Galaxy and if you want to look at another Ford or a few other brands they also deal with keep this crowd in mind. They're not too bad . https://www.tilford.com.au/

Last edited by roddy1960; 06-05-2018 at 10:50 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
SN2317
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice. It's actually quite easy to get parts for European Fords. I buy parts from www.fordpartsuk.com and www.onlinecarparts.co.uk. I also use Forscan and elmconfig diagnostic software for troubleshooting defects. While it's not the most reliable car, the Galaxy and Mk 4 Mondeo based cars are really nice to drive. It's just a pity that Ford chose to fit a Getrag dual-clutch gearbox in these cars.
I have been reading up on the Territory especially the SY model with the revised front suspension. Can teenagers fit in the third row of the Territory? Can the middle row slide forward to increase legroom in the third row? Does Forscan work with the Territory?
BTW I have been to Tasmania and the roads are awesome.
SN2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN2317 View Post
Thanks for the advice. It's actually quite easy to get parts for European Fords. I buy parts from www.fordpartsuk.com and www.onlinecarparts.co.uk. I also use Forscan and elmconfig diagnostic software for troubleshooting defects. While it's not the most reliable car, the Galaxy and Mk 4 Mondeo based cars are really nice to drive. It's just a pity that Ford chose to fit a Getrag dual-clutch gearbox in these cars.
I have been reading up on the Territory especially the SY model with the revised front suspension. Can teenagers fit in the third row of the Territory? Can the middle row slide forward to increase legroom in the third row? Does Forscan work with the Territory?
BTW I have been to Tasmania and the roads are awesome.
Pretty sure the ForScan system works on Australian built Fords but to be certain someone else from AFF will know for sure. I've got an AU Futura and a FG XR6 Falcon but there are still a nice few Territory's around and the pick of them is the Turbo Diesel Titanium AWD. Really nice and the later ones were well sorted and pretty reliable and tough.

I believe it's okay as a 7 seater . Just depends on your needs I suppose. .. Here's a clip from a while back of the TDCI Titanium model .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BNoc5FfdYM .. Lots of stuff to like I think if you can find a low kilometre one..

Last edited by roddy1960; 06-05-2018 at 01:30 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi,
I'm an owner of a 2011 Ford Galaxy Ecoboost 2.0 with the Powershift gearbox in Singapore.
you own a car in Singapore? is your COE about to expire?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
Swordie

Best estimate what you can sell your car for in Singapore. Cars there are way much higher new. Im guessing your car will not be worth as much in Australia. The difference in price between new cars can run from 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars. I'd do the numbers.

Last edited by Swordie; 10-05-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Best estimate what you can sell your car for in Singapore. Cars there are way much higher new. Im guessing your car will not be worth as much in Australia. The difference in price between new cars can run from 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars. I'd do the numbers.
Good advice, such a car would be worthless in Australia. certainly not worth the cost of importing
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP

Last edited by Vesper Martini; 10-05-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Forscan does indeed work on aussie fords... Just to confirm.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #11
Trendseeker

Quote:
I have been reading up on the Territory especially the SY model with the revised front suspension. Can teenagers fit in the third row of the Territory? Can the middle row slide forward to increase legroom in the third row?.
Teenagers can fit in the third row, but it isn’t comfortable for long trips; short trips only. The middle row can slide forward to increase legroom, and you have to move it forward (both seats) because there isn’t enough room in the third row when the middle row is back.