Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #121
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: So where's the Falcon replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I can. Me
Me too.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #122
mcsweenyfives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Nothing wrong with Mondeo, (unless you want to tow stuff I guess)

We have one in the family, it's large comfy, gets along nicely

Only problem is when compared to my Typhoon

There are no rattles, no diff clunk, no suspension clunks, no brake shudder.

Typhoon has 70K on the ODO on the third set of brake rotors.

Mondeo has 87K on the ODO, original brakes.

Only cars that have ever suffered from constant brake shudder is me EL, BA, Terry and BF all way under 100K on the ODO.....drives me insane.
Just put my order in on a Mondeo Titanium wagon to replace my Territory Titanium. That means that I only have 3 months to wait till I can be rid of the rear brake shudder above 60km\h that I have put up with for 40000ks. Thanks for the reassurance.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #123
mcsweenyfives

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
Mondeo is Euro trash. Heck the first ones were about as good as a Camira. But with the added annoying feature of having the blinkers switch where the wipers should be. For me the ultimate incarnation of the Aussie Falcon would have to be a BF II XR6 turbo. Its looks just right and has all the best tech available in the nicer shape. I see it as Skyline GTS disguised as a family car. Best decision Ford ever made to build it. Will always remember first time I saw the first BA turbo on display a Bathurst 2002. In blueprint. It blew me away. BA Blueprint 5 speed manual is sure to be a future classic. Wouldn't touch a 4 speed auto.

FG has a bit of a bloated look to it but still a nice looking car. Ford lost the plot again with the FGX but grafting a poorly matched and cheaper black plastic Mondeo front onto it. It looks ridiculous. Every time I see a Mustang drive by, and there's more of them around than FGX's, i think what a **** to pay that much money for a car that costs $30k in the States.
Prefer to pay 50 grand for the top of the line Mondeo wagon than 50 grand for a mid range Hyundai or kia suv. Perhaps you should go to a Ford dealership abs drive one, you may be surprised.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 AM   #124
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Rear suspension may be a factor, but for the weight of the car aren't the very similar to a falcon? For what I tow I'd rather the weight transfer be over the driving wheels. A more tractive effort. I've driven both an old model ecoboost and an old model TDCI. Neither a bad car at all. My boat just has its own opinion on the tow car.
Mondeo are slightly heavier than the ecoboost Falcon by about 40 - 130 Kg depending on the model.

Just like the Falcon, Mondeo have evolved since its was first released as the MA series. It will never be a Falcon equivalent but it's still a great car to own and drive.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #125
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I love the towing argument...what do people in other countries tow with? They use Mondeos, if you got something heavier, look at the SUV/4WD offerings.
Buuuuut in Australia we love towing with our high powered sedans If you can avoid it, why would you condemn yourself to a 4WD all year round for the sake of towing the boat each Summer? Many people find themselves in that exact predicament.

For instance my current tow car is an LS3 SS, tows a couple of boats, doubles as an incredibly entertaining daily drive while being super easy to buy/insure/maintain. I can get away with a daily drive/tow car being a single purchase. Not for long. That's the kind of flexibility we're losing with the demise of Falcon/Commodore which cannot be replicated by a Mondeo or Insignia. Just a tough reality for some of us.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161231_215018222.jpg (45.6 KB, 149 views)
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #126
XR6_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Buuuuut in Australia we love towing with our high powered sedans If you can avoid it, why would you condemn yourself to a 4WD all year round for the sake of towing the boat each Summer? Many people find themselves in that exact predicament.

For instance my current tow car is an LS3 SS, tows a couple of boats, doubles as an incredibly entertaining daily drive while being super easy to buy/insure/maintain. I can get away with a daily drive/tow car being a single purchase. Not for long. That's the kind of flexibility we're losing with the demise of Falcon/Commodore which cannot be replicated by a Mondeo or Insignia. Just a tough reality for some of us.

+1

Twin cabs, SUVs and front wheel drive sedans are good for certain things, but the Falcon and Commodore do it all.

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
XR6_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #127
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
There are 2 schools of thought there. FWD keeps the driven wheels on the dry stuff. Weight transfer is still the disadvantage. Having a roller trailer I can keep the driving wheels above the water line and wash zone so I don't come across problems with traction. If the ramp is a bit slippery on low tide traction control usually takes care of that. Maybe twice I have had to let the rear spin through moss to find concrete again, but it's not hard.
As I said, it's just based on my personal experiences. Due to the angle of the boat ramp the weight is even more balanced towards the rear of the vehicle.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #128
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
As I said, it's just based on my personal experiences. Due to the angle of the boat ramp the weight is even more balanced towards the rear of the vehicle.

yep how many times have you seen people sitting on the bonnet of FWD vehicles to get traction up a greasy ramp

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #129
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
We used to tow a double horse float with a bog stock EF Fairmont. Not sure if a Mondeo could handle that.
I don't see many Falcons towing horse floats these days though...

Point being if you had to tow a horse float you wouldn't go out and Buy a Falcon or a Mondeo for that matter

People used to need tractors to pull their boats in/out as their cars weren't up to it. old Fergys all parked up at the ramp

These days you can get an SUV or a 4WD than can tow carry all the family comfortably. not to mention easier to park and use less fuel than the fore mentioned EF.

Where's the Falcon replacement? ill give you a clue. Its bigger
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 AM   #130
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
yep how many times have you seen people sitting on the bonnet of FWD vehicles to get traction up a greasy ramp
Never and back when I was kid my dad pulled a boat out at ramps with a front drive Austin 1800. Never a skid that I can think of.

Last edited by deesun; 07-02-2017 at 01:46 AM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 03:02 AM   #131
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We must have greasier boat ramps in kiwi land

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #132
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
We must have greasier boat ramps in kiwi land

Perhaps you Kiwis catch a lot more fish than us Aussies?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #133
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
Perhaps you Kiwis catch a lot more fish than us Aussies?
They're poaching too much Paua.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: