Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Audi RS5

Hi guys,

So, my RS3 drive fell through. However, I did manage to get behind the wheel of an RS5. With any luck I'll get another opportunity in an RS3 soon.

As for the RS5 - I'll do a proper write-up review when I get home tonight.

Cheers
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Re: Audi RS5

G'day all.

So, as mentioned above I had a fang of an Audi RS5 MY2014 today. What a fantastic car! Although I could have said that earlier, as I've driven one before today! But, as has been customary for me as of late, I thought I'd do a review.

INTERIOR:

What a neat and tidy interior this thing has. It's very functional (I'm a big fan of Audis in general) and the fit and finish is high quality.

The seats are very comfortable and supportive, the stereo sounds great and the Sat Nav is the best one I've seen from any vehicle. In fact, Audi's MMI is simply the duck's nuts in my opinion.

The steering wheel is a fantastic perforated unit that's very chunky and has a great feel. Think the optional sports steering wheel on B-Series and you're close!

Everything from the seating position to all the electrics seems to work well. It's apparent straight away just how high the Falcon's seating position is after driving one of these cars.

I tend to naturally drive with one hand; my right elbow resting on the door trim with the window open and my left hand on the shifter. It felt strange, but not in a good or bad way that when driving this way, my elbow seemed to be more in line with my chin than with my pec when in a Falcon.

8.5/10

ENGINE:

All I can say is "wow". This engine is an absolute gem! What a beauty she is! In a nutshell it is torquey, punchy, revs out freely and sounds AMAZING! But I shall elaborate further...

As I pressed the starter button for the first time and fired up this small capacity, N/A German V8, I was reminded of a sad reality that engines like these are an endangered species.

Turbo sixes may be quicker, but they'll never have the character of this donk. So, I was savouring every moment of its aural pleasure as I may not have the chance again any time soon.

Before taking off from the city to head out to the hills I toggled through the drive modes. When I chose the Dynamic mode, the valves (or were they amplifiers?) opened up to unleash a gutteral rumble at idle. A quick blip of the throttle turned that into a roar!

I took off and quickly changed back to the Normal mode as Dynamic mode isn't practical in every day driving (I'll cover that part a bit later). Even on normal mode, that note was something else.

What's really something to marvel about though, is just how punchy and responsive the motor is. Stab the throttle and off it goes! It's no shade of the F-Type R, but at the same time it seems to defy its heft.

As I hit the Freeway I accelerated to the speed limit, foot flat to the floor, from a rolling start of about 20km/h. I was seriously impressed with how this thing revved out to its 8,000+ RPM redline.

Compared to the Lexus RCF which I drove a few months back, this thing felt comfortably quicker from the seat-of-the-pants perspective. As two similarly comparable vehicles go, at this stage the RS5's engine comfortably trumps the Lexus' 5.0L unit.

When I hit the twisties and gave it some curry, Dynamic mode 'on' and window open, the sounds, the ferocious speed in which this thing built up revs, and that deliciously creamy sound of throttle-blipping on downshifts (especially when it echoes through rock walls) makes this one of the most fantastic engines I've ever piloted.

9.5/10

Dynamics:

I'll just rewind back to the point in which I left the city, when I first hit that Dynamic button. As opposed.to other vehicles which have sports modes, Audi's Dynamic mode seems the most noticable of any.

Straight away I notcied the steering feel go almost completely stiff, as though the EPAS system had some wiring go 'open circuit'. The 7 Speed's propensity to almost never want to change meant that for a lot of the time through 60km/h arterial roads, one would potentially hover around the 4-5K rev range driving in auto mode.

For every day driving, Dynamic mode is not what you'd choose. I was happy to go with normal until I'd reached my favourite driving spot in the Adelaide Hills - Eagle on the Hill. I exited the Freeway and hit Dynamic just before entering Devil's Elbow.

I had a spirited punt through some of Adelaide's most scenic roads in its expansive hills, working the 6/4 pot brakes. The brakes pull this beast up time and again and didn't seem to fade or lose any progressiveness in its pedal feel.

The trans is an absolute gem with lighting quick changes and it's a joy to toggle through the gears via the paddles.

The handling of this thing is, for its considerable heft, simply astonishing. It feels so planted on the road, never disturbed when hitting small corrugations at high speeds. Being AWD there was that concern that it would understeer, and it did - ever so slightly.

With Stability Control off and Dynamic mode on, I tested out the launch control function. Let's judt say that it works a treat and that 4,000rpm launches with an AWD V8 is definitely a moment meant to be savoured.

9/10

VERDICT:

As far as enjoyment in cars go, this one very much falls under such categories. Everything about it is designed well, designed for the driver's enjoyment in mind and with enough functions and features to ensure the novelty doesn't wear off for some time.

This vehicle really is one which you could comfortably drive around as a daily, yet be left more than satisfied if you chose to use it in any amateur motorsport recreational activity. It really is an awesome all-rounder and one in which I was very sad to have had to hand the keys back from.

9/10

P.S. I'll add a couple more pics I got tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-11-10 17.01.09.jpg (163.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-11-10 17.00.33.jpg (159.9 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Cobra; 10-11-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
G'day all.

So, as mentioned above I had a fang of an Audi RS5 MY2014 today. What a fantastic car! Although I could have said that earlier, as I've driven one before today! But, as has been customary for me as of late, I thought I'd do a review.

INTERIOR:

What a neat and tidy interior this thing has. It's very functional (I'm a big fan of Audis in general) and the fit and finish is high quality.

The seats are very comfortable and supportive, the stereo sounds great and the Sat Nav is the best one I've seen from any vehicle. In fact, Audi's MMI is simply the duck's nuts in my opinion.

The steering wheel is a fantastic perforated unit that's very chunky and has a great feel. Think the optional sports steering wheel on B-Series and you're close!

Everything from the seating position to all the electrics seems to work well. It's apparent straight away just how high the Falcon's seating position is after driving one of these cars.

I tend to naturally drive with one hand; my right elbow resting on the door trim with the window open and my left hand on the shifter. It felt strange, but not in a good or bad way that when driving this way, my elbow seemed to be more in line with my chin than with my pec when in a Falcon.

8.5/10

ENGINE:

All I can say is "wow". This engine is an absolute gem! What a beauty she is! In a nutshell it is torquey, punchy, revs out freely and sounds AMAZING! But I shall elaborate further...

As I pressed the starter button for the first time and fired up this small capacity, N/A German V8, I was reminded of a sad reality that engines like these are an endangered species.

Turbo sixes may be quicker, but they'll never have the character of this donk. So, I was savouring every moment of its aural pleasure as I may not have the chance again any time soon.

Before taking off from the city to head out to the hills I toggled through the drive modes. When I chose the Dynamic mode, the valves (or were they amplifiers?) opened up to unleash a gutteral rumble at idle. A quick blip of the throttle turned that into a roar!

I took off and quickly changed back to the Normal mode as Dynamic mode isn't practical in every day driving (I'll cover that part a bit later). Even on normal mode, that note was something else.

What's really something to marvel about though, is just how punchy and responsive the motor is. Stab the throttle and off it goes! It's no shade of the F-Type R, but at the same time it seems to defy its heft.

As I hit the Freeway I accelerated to the speed limit, foot flat to the floor, from a rolling start of about 20km/h. I was seriously impressed with how this thing revved out to its 8,000+ RPM redline.

Compared to the Lexus RCF which I drove a few months back, this thing felt comfortably quicker from the seat-of-the-pants perspective. As two similarly comparable vehicles go, at this stage the RS5's engine comfortably trumps the Lexus' 5.0L unit.

When I hit the twisties and gave it some curry, Dynamic mode 'on' and window open, the sounds, the ferocious speed in which this thing built up revs, and that deliciously creamy sound of throttle-blipping on downshifts (especially when it echoes through rock walls) makes this one of the most fantastic engines I've ever piloted.

9.5/10

Dynamics:

I'll just rewind back to the point in which I left the city, when I first hit that Dynamic button. As opposed.to other vehicles which have sports modes, Audi's Dynamic mode seems the most noticable of any.

Straight away I notcied the steering feel go almost completely stiff, as though the EPAS system had some wiring go 'open circuit'. The 7 Speed's propensity to almost never want to change meant that for a lot of the time through 60km/h arterial roads, one would potentially hover around the 4-5K rev range driving in auto mode.

For every day driving, Dynamic mode is not what you'd choose. I was happy to go with normal until I'd reached my favourite driving spot in the Adelaide Hills - Eagle on the Hill. I exited the Freeway and hit Dynamic just before entering Devil's Elbow.

I had a spirited punt through some of Adelaide's most scenic roads in its expansive hills, working the 6/4 pot brakes. The brakes pull this beast up time and again and didn't seem to fade or lose any progressiveness in its pedal feel.

The trans is an absolute gem with lighting quick changes and it's a joy to toggle through the gears via the paddles.

The handling of this thing is, for its considerable heft, simply astonishing. It feels so planted on the road, never disturbed when hitting small corrugations at high speeds. Being AWD there was that concern that it would understeer, and it did - ever so slightly.

With Stability Control off and Dynamic mode on, I tested out the launch control function. Let's judt say that it works a treat and that 4,000rpm launches with an AWD V8 is definitely a moment meant to be savoured.

9/10

VERDICT:

As far as enjoyment in cars go, this one very much falls under such categories. Everything about it is designed well, designed for the driver's enjoyment in mind and with enough functions and features to ensure the novelty doesn't wear off for some time.

This vehicle really is one which you could comfortably drive around as a daily, yet be left more than satisfied if you chose to use it in any amateur motorsport recreational activity. It really is an awesome all-rounder and one in which I was very sad to have had to hand the keys back from.

9/10

P.S. I'll add a couple more pics I got tomorrow.
Nice review man, the coming RS3 sedan looks to become very popular too, I reckon. I'm still awed that an XR6 Sprint was quicker round Baskerville than the RS3.

I too, am an Audi fan, I've driven one as well and was suitably impressed.

The RS5 feels scalpel sharp and sounds sublime, I agree. Audi just make awesome cars, they're just a bit to "polished" for me personally, I like my cars a bit rough around the edges. Sounds funny I guess, but it's what I like.

Again, awesome review bud
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Want...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks again Cobra for another great write up.

Just one thing though - your comment " It's apparent straight away just how high the Falcon's seating position is after driving one of these cars".

Seems like every motoring writer makes a similar comment yet I've never understood why as I find no problem with the Falcon seating position either during normal driving or high speed sprints on race tracks.

Now, having recently spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of my friend's Audi A7 I can understand this stance as the seating position is indeed lower. BUT, this is at the expense of ingress and exit. While you ease out of a Falcon - you extricate yourself from the A7. All very well if you're young and fit but a bit of a problem as you get on a bit.

So conversely, in a detrimental context, one could say " It's apparent straight away just how low the Audi's seating position is after driving a Falcon".
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The seats aren't higher in the falcon, the window ledge is lower. Better for visibility I reckon.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
The seats aren't higher in the falcon, the window ledge is lower. Better for visibility I reckon.
As Pedro said, you definitely sit lower in an Audi than a Falcon. Being in my early thirties I'm still a spring chicken, so maybe it'll become more apparent as a problem when I'm an old fella like Pedro. My observation will turn to a gripe.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Thanks again Cobra for another great write up.

Just one thing though - your comment " It's apparent straight away just how high the Falcon's seating position is after driving one of these cars".

Seems like every motoring writer makes a similar comment yet I've never understood why as I find no problem with the Falcon seating position either during normal driving or high speed sprints on race tracks.

Now, having recently spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of my friend's Audi A7 I can understand this stance as the seating position is indeed lower. BUT, this is at the expense of ingress and exit. While you ease out of a Falcon - you extricate yourself from the A7. All very well if you're young and fit but a bit of a problem as you get on a bit.

So conversely, in a detrimental context, one could say " It's apparent straight away just how low the Audi's seating position is after driving a Falcon".
Cheers mate. Let me make it clear that in no way was I having a shot at Falcons. I've driven them my whole life and love them to bits. I agree the Audi's seating position is low, rather than the Falcon's being high. I was just trying to put into perspective the relative differences.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Cheers mate. Let me make it clear that in no way was I having a shot at Falcons. I've driven them my whole life and love them to bits. I agree the Audi's seating position is low, rather than the Falcon's being high. I was just trying to put into perspective the relative differences.
Hey all good mate. I've had plenty of shots at Falcons where they deserve it.
Thanks again for your informative write-ups.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Hey all good mate. I've had plenty of shots at Falcons where they deserve it.
Thanks again for your informative write-ups.
Thanks mate. I tried to upload a few more pics but I couldn't as there's a time limit set on editing posts. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3054.jpg (154.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 3055.jpg (148.7 KB, 32 views)
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
XWGT