Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The UK car Industry hits a 10 year manufacturing high.

As the British car industry is often cited by some here as an example of where things can go wrong it is currently an example of what can happen under intelligent stewardship by the right people for the good of the nation.

http://www.motortrader.com/motor-tra...igh-21-01-2016

This report is very interesting...

http://thecarsoftomorrow.com.au/wp-c...lleJackson.pdf
Old 30-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: The UK car Industry hits a 10 year manufacturing high.

A tradition of multiple home grown manufacturers, a large population, a small geographic area and overseas markets and component suppliers just a short swim away means the UK is already well in front of Australia as a business model before the company doors open.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
A tradition of multiple home grown manufacturers, a large population, a small geographic area and overseas markets and component suppliers just a short swim away means the UK is already well in front of Australia as a business model before the company doors open.
One would accept those factors as a baseline anyway, if you read the second article then that is the main point in how a country comes together to formulate good policy that will set the pace in the succeeding decades in the broad view on manufacturing.

We can be more than just FIFO workers at remote mine-sites or agricultural producers at the mercy of fickle weather cycles.

Sure, this will bore some and generate the usual chest beatings from naysaying heads in the sand but there will be some who get it and think beyond the blinkers.

Off to check out the Ford 6 forums.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 AM   #4
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 on good long term policy. Cannot place enough emphasis on this.

That 2nd report is a good read, Bill. You get it. 77% is exported now after a disasterous early 2000's. Best quote for me, p9, "Not about picking winners - using government intervention to support existing strengths capable of delivering sustained growth."

Range Rover Sport, yes please, logical replacement of Territory.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motorcycles are doing ok,too, Norton and Triumph.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
AUXRII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
We can be more than just FIFO workers at remote mine-sites or agricultural producers at the mercy of fickle weather cycles.

We could have been more than just FIFO workers at remote mine-sites or agricultural producers at the mercy of fickle weather cycles.
AUXRII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRII View Post
We could have been more than just FIFO workers at remote mine-sites or agricultural producers at the mercy of fickle weather cycles.
You join up today and this is your first post ? Well done.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #8
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The mining "boom" by all accounts is over, for this cycle anyway, I work in the engineering prototyping part of the life sciences segment ( which relies on some car components manufacturers for parts )
There are very senior players who have a strong interest in manufacturing as well who are working behind the scenes, notice the change in commentary from Canberra lately?

Life sciences ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_life_sciences
Old 06-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #9
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Gez, they registered 2.5 million cars and made 1.5 million cars. That's low rego numbers considering we sold nearly half that number with no where near the population.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #10
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Indeed they are though had to laugh the other day,bloke over here in NZ finally took delivery of his new Norton Domi (one of 4 designated for NZ) only to have lord Lucas intervene on its first outing complete electrical meltdown resulting in a trailer ride home.

Last edited by 98TLS; 06-02-2016 at 09:09 PM.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

98TLS..I remember The Prince of Darkness , very well!! My Triumph Trophy and Norton Commando all had a visit inthe 70's!!! Can they fix it in NZ??
Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
I don't know about you but I work in IT, which is a rapidly growing industry. It's a comfortable occupation and the pay is certainly adequate.

Move with the times or get left in the dust.
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #13
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Shame
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #14
Makovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted8 View Post
I don't know about you but I work in IT, which is a rapidly growing industry. It's a comfortable occupation and the pay is certainly adequate.

Move with the times or get left in the dust.

The topic is about how the Brits refused to move with the times and instead implemented a rigorous, coordinated and well thought out plan to save the nation's automotive manufacturing base.
Page 9 Heading Ricardo PDF:

Change came about through improved working relationships between Government & Industry & agreeing upon a long term strategy.

(1) The Brits refused to move with the times;
(2) They implemented a long term strategy;
(3) They turned around their faltering vehicle manufacturing industry.

What was/is Canberra's strategic plan?

See Troll posts to follow.

Makovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Though to put it in perspective in the European industry, the production of Britain and France are each not that far ahead of Czech Republic and well below Czech and Slovak combined which, if they were still one country, would be the biggest centre of European production after the giant Germany. And they're all well below the world giants China, Germany, India, South Korea, USA and Japan.

Britain and France used to be leading car manufacturing countries but in the UK case it's more a case of recovery from near-obliteration. Not sure what's happening in France but when I was using the Via Carolina motoway over there it was full of trucks transporting Renaults westwards from where they were built in Romania to France!

The big bugbear with British manufacturing was quality. I'd be wondering whether that's been overcome. Their greatest achievement was innovation - their FWDs revolutionised the automotive world - but they should have had their designs built elsewhere. Now there's no longer a native British company of any size. They're simply an "overseas" plant for foreign majors who are presumably trying to enforce their quality standards to an international consistency as they do elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #16
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Though to put it in perspective in the European industry, the production of Britain and France are each not that far ahead of Czech Republic and well below Czech and Slovak combined which, if they were still one country, would be the biggest centre of European production after the giant Germany. And they're all well below the world giants China, Germany, India, South Korea, USA and Japan.

Britain and France used to be leading car manufacturing countries but in the UK case it's more a case of recovery from near-obliteration. Not sure what's happening in France but when I was using the Via Carolina motoway over there it was full of trucks transporting Renaults westwards from where they were built in Romania to France!

The big bugbear with British manufacturing was quality. I'd be wondering whether that's been overcome. Their greatest achievement was innovation - their FWDs revolutionised the automotive world - but they should have had their designs built elsewhere. Now there's no longer a native British company of any size. They're simply an "overseas" plant for foreign majors who are presumably trying to enforce their quality standards to an international consistency as they do elsewhere.
Spain produces more cars than Czechs and Slovaks combined :-) . They are no different to UK situation - manufacturing for major players rather than having native industry .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Spain produces more cars than Czechs and Slovaks combined :-) .
Not on the last figures I saw, they'd been overtaken, but yes they're close together.

I guess there's still British innovation at work, mainly in Land Rover, that's one thing that's different from the other "slave-manufacturing" countries. The BMW Mini though is a travesty compared to the original - although possibly more reliable!

Many of those 70% of component parts that aren't manufactured in UK are manufactured in Czech Republic though. There's more to auto manufacturing than just the final product! The Czechs are the ones to watch.

France is a very protectionist country and they're shooting themselves in the foot more than gaining from that.

As for Australia, we're allowed to keep the R&D which is a good thing, but I'm not sure there's much we can learn from the UK experience as our manufacturing base was much smaller and now disappearing fast.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #18
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Gez, they registered 2.5 million cars and made 1.5 million cars. That's low rego numbers considering we sold nearly half that number with no where near the population.
Aust's population is 24 mill, UK's population is 64 mill. That's 2.6 times the population.

Aust's gross vehicles sales for 2015 was 1.1 mill, UK's was 2.5 mill. That's 2.3 times the car sales.

That's not bad when you consider Aust has traditionally had a much higher rate of car ownership (per capita). On those figures they are on the improve by comparison to Aust.

As far a the UK industry is concerned, the big changes is who now owns the factories. During the 50s & 60s, most UK car makers were owned by the Poms themselves, e.g. BMC (Austin, Morris, MG, Wolseley, Riley, Triumph etc.), Rootes (Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam etc.), Rolls Royce, Bentley, Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Jensen & could go on. All of these are either now foreign owned or gone to God.

AFAIK the largest Pommy owned car manufacturer currently is Morgan !

Ford UK is owned by Ford US & Vauxhall has been owned by GM (US) since the 1930s.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Dr Terry; 07-02-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mclaren is English owned???
Old 07-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #20
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
98TLS..I remember The Prince of Darkness , very well!! My Triumph Trophy and Norton Commando all had a visit inthe 70's!!! Can they fix it in NZ??
yea they can fix it here mate...we have had electricity for awhile.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #21
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mclaren is English owned???
I believe that they are British owned, but what are their production numbers ? Aren't McLarens ultra expensive limited production type cars ? How do they compare to Morgan numbers-wise.

I'm only quoting from an English car mag from around 2014, maybe things have changed.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

98TLS.,I meant parts available in NZ or they have to come from UK?
Old 07-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #23
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
98TLS.,I meant parts available in NZ or they have to come from UK?
yea i know mate just avin a laugh.Hopefully they can simply replace whats buggered here...methinks that would be better than hoping the oem crap that failed was better the second time round.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #24
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UK have low car ownership. Running a car there is very expensive. My ex's new bloke has just moved to aust from the UK, hes 36 with no car licence, because he simply didn't need it, they have higher population density and an actual public transport system even in a small village outside of Manchester where hes from.
The contrast is life in suburban Australia where you need to travel 15km across suburbs for a morning shift, but there are no busses until 6 am. He is now getting a license because transport here is a necessity.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #25
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Shame
Really...why?
Old 07-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #26
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Really...why?
They are English... I would prefer marques from the continent to prosper.

Who owns the English brands now? I know triumph has nothing to do with the old firm.
Who saved or restarted Norton?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MethodX...http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bikes/ John Bloor bought the Triumph company, and re-established Triumph.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:54 PM   #28
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
They are English... I would prefer marques from the continent to prosper.

Who owns the English brands now? I know triumph has nothing to do with the old firm.
Who saved or restarted Norton?
Big headwinds on multiple fronts for the continent at present.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #29
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Export joy continuing:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/414096/l...an-sales-boom/
Old 10-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #30
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
You join up today and this is your first post ? Well done.
Umm... maybe get ready for a thread about an old man saying his 8 is quicker than his 6T?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: