Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NRMA batteries versus others.

Does anyone know where NRMA currently sources their batteries from? How do they stack up against similarly priced batteries such as the Century?

This morning on the way to work I had a battery failure in my BF LPG at least I think it's the battery and not the alternator, either way I will replace the battery as it is 4 years old.

Speaking to a workmate also with a BF LPG who does virtually the same driving and kms per year, he has had the same NRMA battery since 2011 and it appears to still be going strong, even with a hint of green remaining in the little window.
It's a Blue sealed battery with an NRMA, RACQ etc sticker on top.

Did an online NRMA check and it's just under $160, and they bring the battery to you and fit it. So I'm also asking, would their new batteries be of similar quality to this 2011 one? If not, i have no issue buying another brand and fitting myself but I want it similarly priced.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: NRMA batteries versus others.

If they are have a yellow case and a blue top, they are Australian-made Century batteries. Any other colour and they are imports of some flavour.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Id personally get it myself. You can get century batteries cheaper then 160.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will go the Century, at least then I know where it's from. Thanks.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Got one from NRMA due to breakdown recently...was not blue/yellow but all black and fully sealed. It looks ok, just like most other batteries.
550 CCA and was $160
Could get better and cheaper at home but since I wasnt home it beats walking.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dammit. Turned out to be the alternator after all. Oh well!
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #7
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't hold them in high regard.
Our VE had one fitted just before the 3 year mark, when it was still under a fleet lease.
They came & fitted it, and I had to hand in the receipt at work, who reimbursed me, and in turn got it back from the lease company.

18 months later, it failed. By now I had purchased the car from the lease company.
The sticker proclaiming "2 year warranty" got my attention.

I rang them up "do you have the original receipt?" - as I didn't, I asked at work, and they had sent it to the fleet company. Buckleys of getting it back....

So I asked them to check the history on their records, and they'd have it - I provided the numberplate details from back then (put personals on it when I bought it). Because those plates turned up in their system on another car, belonging to a current member, it seems they couldn't access my history.....

Then I remembered the date cast/melted into the top of the battery & took a pic. Told them on the phone, and they said they'd send the van out. He arrived. Because I was not the original owner of the car at the time the battery was fitted, only a 1 year warranty applies. Even if I provided the receipt, the car wasn't in my name at the time.

Bloody BS terms & conditions - the car never left my possession - only the rego went from fleet co. to my wife, and the RTA got a whole lot richer from stamp duty.

So I was left with a useless lump of dubious lead, that in any other case would have been replaced free under warranty......so you can see why I declined his offer of 10% off the inflated price of a new battery....

Bought one myself, for $40 less, with a 2 year warranty.....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’ve had two batteries from the NRMA, one replacing the other and both failed after about 12 months.

I have no idea what brand they were and I purchased them because it was easy to have them come to my home.

When the second one failed he remembered being at my house before and checked the speedo reading and told me there was no warranty as I didn’t drive the car.

I didn’t know how to argue that.

I told him there was no point in him sticking around and I bought a yellow with blue top Ultra Hi Performance Century battery myself and for the last 5 years it’s always started without fuss even though I rarely drive the car.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to get RAC batteries. Similar setup.
They come to you, fit the right battery, and keep the records. No hassle and never had a problem. Used em for year, and the only time I had a battery fail, they just came out and replaced it.

Now, I assume they have been sold off, but still trade under the RAC name. Last one I bought, they only had the "premium" model to fit our car, and it is just a POS. Battery died after only 6 months. Not only would they not replace it, I had to kick up an absolute ****-storm just to get any action at all. Eventually they collected it, put it on heavy charge for 4 days, then proclaimed there was nothing wrong with it, because at that point it was (barely just) holding a charge.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 03:06 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

They just use the cheapest battery they can purchase in bulk (they probably only buy them at $20 per battery) ... and then on-sell it at a price comparable to a quality battery. They are only good to get you out of a bind when really stuck.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

RACV batteries are cheap Chinese junk sold at extortion prices.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
RACV batteries are cheap Chinese junk sold at extortion prices.
Well for a cheap junk battery I'm getting exceptional use & value out of one in my wife's car, oem Jap battery lasted 7 years & this one has exceeded past that one, fingers still crossed.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Well for a cheap junk battery I'm getting exceptional use & value out of one in my wife's car, oem Jap battery lasted 7 years & this one has exceeded past that one, fingers still crossed.
If its anything like my experience with RAC (WA) and what is said above about NRMA, I think you'll find the situation has changed, if you need to buy a new battery.
From what I can understand, these businesses were started as a service to members, selling a decent product at a reasonable price. Then at some point they were sold to private operators, who now trade off the name to bilk unsuspecting customers.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
If its anything like my experience with RAC (WA) and what is said above about NRMA, I think you'll find the situation has changed, if you need to buy a new battery.
From what I can understand, these businesses were started as a service to members, selling a decent product at a reasonable price. Then at some point they were sold to private operators, who now trade off the name to bilk unsuspecting customers.
You may well be correct but at the time RACV came to the rescue to my dear wife when I was not around, I expected the battery to last about 3 years on average, this one just on ten years & still going.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #15
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a little concerned with the RACQ battery my daughter bought for her car when I wasn't around...time will tell I guess. My Century battery in the daily has lasted very well, 4 years and tested up very well at the last service. Varta battery in another car I look after lasted about 10 years,very good but very expensive,probably not great value at the retail price they charge compared to say 7 years out of a century.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #16
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But of an update, if anyone cares!

No new battery yet, my US made Federal is still going strong 4 years on. Have just purchased a brand new genuine Ford alternator for $289 which I will fit tomorrow. Here's to another 4 years with the federal!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only recently got a new battery from NRMA and the records on their computer said the one that died was 7 or 8 years old if I recall correctly.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #18
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
But of an update, if anyone cares!

No new battery yet, my US made Federal is still going strong 4 years on. Have just purchased a brand new genuine Ford alternator for $289 which I will fit tomorrow. Here's to another 4 years with the federal!
It is no surprise to me at all people blaming battery failure when it could be a faulty charging system for their battery demise, I have always tested charging before battery replacement.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I saw their buy price from their supplier, the RACV contractors pay about $50-$60 for a Falcon battery, Century is minimum $40 more to a retailer on the best price bracket but its made in Brisbane.

Make of that what you will.

What's the going rate for a China special Falcon battery these days from RACV? $175?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is no surprise to me at all people blaming battery failure when it could be a faulty charging system for their battery demise, I have always tested charging before battery replacement.
One thing in NRMA's favour - the times I've had experience with them, they've jump-started the car & done a comprehensive charge test on it before condemning the battery.
Still have the printout from my FG when it was <3 years old and the OEM battery was playing up. Fixed it myself with an Optima red-top....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #21
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nope.
Batteries wear out, that's a fact of life.
Some batteries are pieces of junk, another sad fact.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Nope.
Batteries wear out, that's a fact of life.
Some batteries are pieces of junk, another sad fact.

No doubt some batteries are inferior, did not say batteries wear out but a lot of batteries do get replaced prematurely, see a lot of this when people come running to me with their problems.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #23
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No doubt some batteries are inferior, did not say batteries wear out but a lot of batteries do get replaced prematurely, see a lot of this when people come running to me with their problems.
I suppose because a strong majority of cases where a vehicle is cranking slowly, or clicking it's due to the battery. Of course once you get it started you should confirm it is charging before replacing the battery.

I posted this question while at work, I got a lift to work before looking at the battery or alternator so I was researching to prepare ahead. It was also strange that at no point did my battery charge light come on on the dash. Is this typical of alternator failures?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I suppose because a strong majority of cases where a vehicle is cranking slowly, or clicking it's due to the battery. Of course once you get it started you should confirm it is charging before replacing the battery.

I posted this question while at work, I got a lift to work before looking at the battery or alternator so I was researching to prepare ahead. It was also strange that at no point did my battery charge light come on on the dash. Is this typical of alternator failures?
Sometimes the light comes on sometimes it doesn't.

A heap of times we get them putting out 14
V at idle but as soon as the low and high beams go on, boom no charging.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
. It was also strange that at no point did my battery charge light come on on the dash. Is this typical of alternator failures?
Happens quite a lot, in the old days Lucas alternators were renowned for this problem when the exciter diode failed intermittently.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:27 AM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Happens quite a lot, in the old days Lucas alternators were renowned for this problem when the exciter diode failed intermittently.
Lucas, wasn't he known as the prince of darkness? lol
Old 10-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #27
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More on Lucas, Old but good1

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Lucas dip-switch positions: LOW and BLOW

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Lucas engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone. Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

How to make AIDS disappear? Give it a Lucas parts number.

Recently, Lucas won out over Bosch to supply the electrical for the new Volkswagens. So, now the cars from the Black Forest will come with electrics supplied by the Lord of Darkness -- how appropriate!

Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.