Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #91
Big_Damo

Default Re: Cheapest 2nd hand car to run big distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
In a situation where might have to be driving over 1000klm per week most of it freeway with up to 4 hour sints behind the wheel largely Hume and pacific highway

instead of killing any of my current cars contemplating buying something sub $20k that will be comfortable, safe and reliable but cheapest overall running cost.

Thinking an FG XR6 or commodore v6 would have to be up there ? might be slighty more on fuel but less on servicing and parts.

I have a terriotry turbo that has 180,000klms on the clock i was going to use but started to look closely at what is or will needing to be done maint wise due to age (no major defects owned since new and well maintained). so contenplating off loading it and getting something cheaper to run
Looks like the FG xr6 with a 6 speed ZF box is the go
just something about the Ford being able to run without coolant makes it a no brainer for long distance country running
Able to continue driving to the next town if there is a failure is a massive safety feature in a country with remote travelling like we have in Australia
Big_Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2017, 11:14 PM   #92
XR6_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Damo View Post
just something about the Ford being able to run without coolant makes it a no brainer for long distance country running
Able to continue driving to the next town if there is a failure is a massive safety feature in a country with remote travelling like we have in Australia
Agreed, there is simply less to go wrong with an I6 Falcon, and a record for robustness that has been proven over and over..

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
XR6_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #93
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Damo View Post
I thought AU series was the one with failsafe coolant system.

Ford Falcon AU Series and Territory Fail Safe Overheat System
The Falcon AU and Territory engine management system has a failsafe overheat system. How this works is:
Instead of the usual ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) which measures the engine coolant temperature, it has a CHT (Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor) which is mounted at the rear of the cylinder head and measures the actual engine temperature. This sensor operates on a very wide temperature band width.
• When the engine temperature reaches 108°c, the engine sends a signal to operate the climatic control in a recycle state to help cool the engine down.
• At 120°c the OBD (Onboard Diagnostic System) warning lamp and the overheat warning lamp in the cluster illuminate and a fault code is stored in the Engine Management System to later be retrieved using the diagnostic test equipment.
• At 140 °c the Engine management system will command two injectors at a time to be switched off and reduces the engine power. This allows these two cylinders to be used as air pumps to help cool the engine. The hotter the engine and the more the throttle is pressed down at this the more injectors are switched off. At the same time the automatic transmission line pressure is increased.
• Finally at 180°c the engine is switched off, preventing a meltdown of engine components. The engine is then allowed to restart and run for 2 minutes on all six cylinders, to be able to drive the vehicle out of a danger zone.
The engine will only be able to restart once the engine temperature has dropped below 140°c.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #94
Big_Damo

I thought this is something that is on all NA I6 falcons since the AU
I may be mistaken on that though
Big_Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 12:48 AM   #95
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Yes they are, I have a manual LV TDCI.

The LV was the last of the manual diesel Focus, the LW went to auto only with that crappy Powershift box and now they don't sell the TDCI in our market.
Woops 'my bad' thought the Powershift was the only option for diesel.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #96
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Yep, certainly is.
Returned 11l/100km at an average price of roughly 70cpl.
Paid 73.7cpl in Adelaide before I left and 65.9cpl in Sunbury.

That's with 2 adult men the wrong side of 115kg...lol
Ballpark my G220 would cost $300 for same distance.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #97
jobeli

Took the dedicated LPG 2013 VE Sports wagon to Woodside VIC on Sunday and back. From Doncaster to Traralgon via freeway, and then through the steep Strezlicki Ranges down to Woodside beach.
Driving normally at the 100 and 110 kmh limits, 4 adults plus beach gear, hot day. so air con the whole way too.
A total of 513.6 kms, refuelled 47.44 litres the next day. That is 9.24 l/100km actual.
Similar results with other tanks i've filled at different servos mirror these results, so no fluke. Amazing.
jobeli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #98
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
In a situation where might have to be driving over 1000klm per week most of it freeway with up to 4 hour sints behind the wheel largely Hume and pacific highway

instead of killing any of my current cars contemplating buying something sub $20k that will be comfortable, safe and reliable but cheapest overall running cost.

Thinking an FG XR6 or commodore v6 would have to be up there ? might be slighty more on fuel but less on servicing and parts.

I have a terriotry turbo that has 180,000klms on the clock i was going to use but started to look closely at what is or will needing to be done maint wise due to age (no major defects owned since new and well maintained). so contenplating off loading it and getting something cheaper to run
Provided you have adequate access to servos, its a no-brainer. Buy a Falcon with LPG.
For starters, you'll be hard-pressed to find anything more comfortable for long journeys (unless you go European.)
Secondly, unlike most common cars, Falcons (especially the engines) are built for huge kms. (Mostly its a waste, most people don't need it, but if you do there's nothing better.)
LPG on freeway driving is very cheap to run.
Parts are plentiful and cheap, provided you stick to models that were still volume sellers.

If you are going to go looking at Diesels, do your homework. All are expensive to fix, but some are extortionate and have limited life.
My son has a Patrol with the old 4.2TD. Agricultural, but goes forever

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 05-02-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post