Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
Magee

Default Pucture Repair during Dealer Service. Is this a Scam?

I took my wifes car (not a Ford) in for a 30K service today. Car had 4 full of air tyres when I dropped it off in the morning. Got a call about 1 hr later from the dealer advising my Right Hand Front Tyre was punctured. I straight away assumed that I must have picked up a screw in the tyre on the way there and since the cost of the repair was only $30 I gave the dealer the okay to repair.

After picking the car up and getting it home I had a close look at the RHF Tyre to see if there was any evidence of the tyre being removed for repair or evidence of a plug in the tread or a white crayon circle from the tyre repairer. I am not a tyre expert but I could not see any evidence of a puncture repair

It may be 100% legitimate and that the dealer has done nothing wrong which is why I have not name the brand, but after reading so many stories on this forum on bad dealers practices. I am ultra careful in checking out for myself every thing I am told by a Service Manager.

My cynical side tells me that this is a perfect dealer scam as the low cost would not raise alarm bells to most customers and it is impossible to prove that no repair was done without removing the tye and checking from inside.

I am interest if any other memeber have had ever had a puncture repair requested during service or if this an isloated case.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
sr71

Default Re: Pucture Repair during Dealer Service. Is this a Scam?

I've had that done years ago, but was only $15. I didn't think to check for the repair. But I have repaired many times. And it's hard to find the repair after it's been driven on. Maybe washing the tyre will make it easier to find/prove you've been scammed.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

it may be legit, but I'd probably just ask them to chuck the spare on instead of fixing.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

one of my tyres is plugged from a screw, it's super hard to see where it was repaired. Only reason i could find it is because it was in there for a few months before i got around to taking it in.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
I've had that done years ago, but was only $15. I didn't think to check for the repair. But I have repaired many times. And it's hard to find the repair after it's been driven on. Maybe washing the tyre will make it easier to find/prove you've been scammed.
I had a tyre plugged not long ago (6 weeks maybe) and the repair is clearly visable even since the top of the plug has worn down to the same level. A couple of years back a had a tyre patched internally and it wasn't as obvious from the outside but if you looked hard enough you could see where the screw was, it looked like a small (3mm maybe less) cut in the tread, and the tyre was put back on the rim with the white marks about 10mm misaligned. Made highway driving awsome with the new anti fatigue vibrations above 70. Old mate worked hard enough on the $20 internal patch on a 38 degree day so I didn't complain and got new tyres shortly after as I was just about due anyway. Maybe it was repaired but not with a plug. Did they give the car back washed, or atleast with tyre black on it?
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$30 is a bit much for a plug, as it is only a 5 minute repair not requiring the tyre removal. I had one done a few months ago for $10, but then I don't live in Melbourne.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I would be removing the wheel and looking for the plug. If it has been recently done it shouldn't be hard to find, even old plugs can be easily found as they cause an irregularity to the tread pattern.

If you can't find it pop it back on, take it back for a please explain...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
$30 is a bit much for a plug, as it is only a 5 minute repair not requiring the tyre removal. I had one done a few months ago for $10, but then I don't live in Melbourne.
I believe the old fashioned plugs are no longer legal and they now need to remove the tyre and use a mushroom plug that is pushed out the hole from the inside.

8 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
Kicking back

I just had a look at the plug in my front left and it looks like a cigarette burn in the tyre. Still holds 43 psi but it's not hard to miss compared to the internal patch done on the fairmont
Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Magee

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like it is not a scam but maybe me getting more cynical in my old age.

This non Ford dealer who I have only been to twice did put tyre black on all 4 tyres and this was something that made more suspicious that he doing something to make it look like work was done on the tyres.

Our Fords through the years have been serviced at the the same dealer for over 15 years and they have never put tyre black on the tyres.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #11
Kicking back

Maybe just for piece of mind just ask them what the repair entailed. When I was in my early teens I used to scam mum for Pocket money by claiming to have washed her white car (provided it wasn't too dirty and had no marks in the dirt) and just cleaned the wheels and blacked the tyres. 10 minutes work for $10. Worked for years.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
After picking the car up and getting it home I had a close look at the RHF Tyre to see if there was any evidence of the tyre being removed for repair or evidence of a plug in the tread or a white crayon circle from the tyre repairer. I am not a tyre expert but I could not see any evidence of a puncture repair
Wheels may have been rotated during the service, so may be in another position?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I believe the old fashioned plugs are no longer legal and they now need to remove the tyre and use a mushroom plug that is pushed out the hole from the inside.
Ive plugged plenty of tyres myself on my bikes & car using a slime repair kit, supposed to be temporary , but have had no problem with the plugs, easy to do. Tyre dealer recently told me they wont repair, they strongly advise to buy a new tyre. Thats why they offer insurance when purchasing new tyres.
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #14
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pucture Repair during Dealer Service. Is this a Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post

Proper plug repair does require tyre removal, bush repair with spaghetti plug doesn't. I know which one I'd like the dealer to do in town.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
Ive plugged plenty of tyres myself on my bikes & car using a slime repair kit, supposed to be temporary , but have had no problem with the plugs, easy to do. Tyre dealer recently told me they wont repair, they strongly advise to buy a new tyre. Thats why they offer insurance when purchasing new tyres.
I didn't say I agree with it if they are indeed illegal now.

I got a plug type repair kit from SCA with 5 or 6 plugs for $10 and used each and every one of them and they were a permanent repair.

Not one failed.

If I had a flat I will swap with the spare and buy another kit without hesitation.

Last ford I bought included customer after service support that included free puncture repairs. Thought, you beaut, will just take the Focus there with the flat tyre in the boot...

Nup, "tyre is 50% worn so technically it is not allowed to be repaired" (for free).. I wonder if that would have been the case If I walked in off the street and wanted to pay for it to be done??

Oh, and when they serviced the car 2 weeks prior the tyres were absolutely fine...

2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

punctures n nails n tyres n stuff costs more than $5 in 2017
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I didn't say I agree with it if they are indeed illegal now.

I got a plug type repair kit from SCA with 5 or 6 plugs for $10 and used each and every one of them and they were a permanent repair.

Not one failed.

If I had a flat I will swap with the spare and buy another kit without hesitation.
I carry one of these kits, much easier repairing a puncture without having to remove the wheel let alone tyre..

You can always take it to a tyre shop later to get the "professional repair"
if you feel the need
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #18
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NTF6 is correct, to repair a puncture properly requires the removal of the tyre.
The plug kits that are used externally are designed to get you out of trouble, until you can have the tyre fixed.
$30.00 for a puncture repair is the going rate in Sydney.
Silver Ghia also raises a valid question concerning the possibility of tyre rotation.
If the tyres have indeed been rotated, you have a decent Service Centre.
Blue Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #19
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like it is not a scam but maybe me getting more cynical in my old age.

This non Ford dealer who I have only been to twice did put tyre black on all 4 tyres and this was something that made more suspicious that he doing something to make it look like work was done on the tyres.

Our Fords through the years have been serviced at the the same dealer for over 15 years and they have never put tyre black on the tyres.
If it ever happens again with any repairer, ask them to take some photos of the damaged tyre on your vehicle before they repair it.
Old 15-08-2017, 11:20 PM   #20
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what did they touch on your car that is now missing a screw?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #21
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Twas Kmart tyre and auto.

Tried to scam me with the old found a puncture during a wheel alignment.
I was only 50 Metres away enjoying a coffee watching their every move when I got the call.

Walked into the workshop whilst still chatting to the person who called me to see all 4 tyres on my car without any problems and was told that they accidentally called the wrong customer. They got really defensive and was told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't allowed to be in the workshop area.

Told them that I wanted my car brought outside immediately with the wheel alignment not done at this stage. I left and never went back.

Took the car to a local tyre place that is owned by the operator and they confirmed that no puncture existed. They did the wheel alignment and it cost $5 less than the scammers were going to change me.

If I didn't have time off work that day and got the call call, probably would have given the go ahead for the puncture repair. Lesson learned.