Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #91
Sioso
irregular member

Default Re: Are Simmons wheels still cool or am I old?

Yep, Simmons have a timeless quality to them and they will suit anything if done in the right colour.
Aussie, US, Japanese or Euro's they will suit anything, from a Hyundai Excel to a Bugatti Veyron (although they may not hold up at 400+km/h).
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #92
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TH main problem with my Simmons wheels is they are 16" which was the must have size back in the day, but now tyre choice is severely limited. Nothing middle of the road besides Khumos. Other tyres were dirt cheap (Roadstone) or too expensive (Continental). My size is 245/45/16. The Goodyears,I used to run are now discontinued, even in the States. Size was for a Porsche 911.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #93
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah GXL078 I hear you...tyre choices are limited for the old school stuff,when I was looking for 15" rubber it was hard enough and was told if I thought 15 was bad try and get 16" rubber. I know it's $$$ but maybe step back into 15" rims on your Simmons??
Whether it's Globes,Hotwires or those Appliance mags that Ken has,the classic rims look so right on the old stuff. I'm happy to step up to modern tech but I just don't get ultra low profile rubber on big rims on a car with massive un sprung weights with a diff like a 9" underneath. It must hammer the rims pretty fierce and be a pretty harsh ride on our roads. Free world and all that stuff and guys do it all the time,but not for me,seems like your going to be a pretty regular visitor at the wheel repairer of you choice! Modern cars totally different of course. When I finally get the ute done and start on my XM coupe it's going to run 15" wheels,I know everyone has them but the Weld Convo range of stuff would suit the old girl pretty well,but that's down the track.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #94
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, I forgot to mention that I called up the mob selling Simmons now to enquire about changing the rim size of my B45s to 17" to give me more tire choice. It's doable but that were going to charge me $500 per wheel. That's right $2000 to keep my centres as go up ONE inch! I mentioned to the guy that I would be better off buying new wheels and selling my own ones he said, "no, because I don't have anymore B45 centres." This is despite new B45s being advertised virtually everywhere. I don't know maybe they were just out of stock when I rang up.
http://www.simmonswheels.com.au/whee...ch-simmons-b45
Looks like the 17s and 18s don't show up anymore. Centres were the same as mine, long spoke 16s
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #95
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Yep, Simmons have a timeless quality to them and they will suit anything if done in the right colour.
Aussie, US, Japanese or Euro's they will suit anything, from a Hyundai Excel to a Bugatti Veyron (although they may not hold up at 400+km/h).
Simmons wheels are equivalent to dock martins shoes. Timeless.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #96
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The FR series are one good looking wheel.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #97
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

For old school they look awesome. I was never a fan of them on anything E-series or onwards.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2017, 02:38 AM   #98
SVR73
Mr Polish

Agree with cobra. They've been done to death on so many cars, try something unique, be individual and stand out from the rest.
Definitely better on old fords
Old 05-01-2017, 03:35 AM   #99
TS50AU
Red ones go faster!

It's all a moot point isn't it?
From the responses I've had its all too hard and they'd rather not sell them...
TS50AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #100
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day all....Replica new Bathurst Globes , still exxy I expect..
http://www.oldschoolwheelsandtyres.c...t-globe-style/ .. A friend of mine bought a brand new FG Mk2 XR6T ute when he retired in 2014..
He badly gutter rashed the l.h. front early on (she had 19's special edition wheels)..
He decided in mid 2015 to price a new wheel..Cost for genuine was $1250 ..
He ended up getting the damaged one fixed for about $400 if memory serves me correctly and found another 'as new ' one later on second hand.... Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 05-01-2017 at 10:26 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: