Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #61
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Driving Test..... too harsh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Daughter was talking to a work mate who failed their test as well..... no prizes for guessing which intersection it was?
You should consider yourself lucky then, imagine if your Daughter and her workmate were approaching that same intersection perpendicular to one another at 45k/hr without the lesson learnt....

Sounds to me like it's a good job the tester takes them through that style of intersection and a common theme in their lack of understanding of it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #62
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
I rode my bike to the tester to get my bike licence (3 months before I could get a car licence)
Had to go and get his salad roll for lunch
Upon return licence granted.
I'm still here today, couldn't have been too wrong.

Increasing complexity is all part of the "service industry" BS, now most manufacturing in the country is gone.

It seems if one Can't add value - then add repeat tasks of no value .........
The bloke who did my motorcycle training with was telling us about the student who arrived on his trail bike for the course, he could ride no doubt and passed with flying colours, he also killed himself pulling a wheel stand outside the local high school within 24hrs...

Shook him up apparently, but as he said, he only tests for competency, not attitude.
Old 25-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #63
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've just finished teaching my two eldest to drive, my friend who is a retired instructor said he always taught his students to use MIB to remember the sequences, that being Mirrors, Indicate, Blind spot and to recite it at every intersection so as to reassure the examiner that they are conscious of the need to do it.
Old 25-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #64
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I've just finished teaching my two eldest to drive, my friend who is a retired instructor said he always taught his students to use MIB to remember the sequences, that being Mirrors, Indicate, Blind spot and to recite it at every intersection so as to reassure the examiner that they are conscious of the need to do it.
Yep, and I don't mind if it's indicate, mirrors, blind spot, because if you do cock-up, you give others more time to react.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #65
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Yep, and I don't mind if it's indicate, mirrors, blind spot, because if you do cock-up, you give others more time to react.
Sorry if I've missed it, but from your response would it be fair to assume you're an instructor or examiner?

When my eldest had his first paid lesson and recited the MIB the instructor asked him who taught him that, why he was doing it and that it wasn't necessary.
He refrained from using it for the remainder of his lessons with the instructor but once he got in with the examiner he used it.

I was a little surprised when he told me what the instructor had said to be honest.
Old 25-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #66
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Thats the order I like to do things. I don't have rear visability in my ute and a big blind spot so it also allows more time on the odd occasion someone let's you for the gap to be created. Even though you have to get used to them a convex mirror on the passengers side is a really good $5 investment on any car, once used to them you can see so much more. Even the rear tyre when reverse parallel parking. One of my work mates in his van ripped the front off another car leaving a servo because the impatient person was pulling up to my collegues left in his blind spot (windowless van) to sneak past when my mate pulled out with the other car invisible to him straight accross the front of the other car. Yes you can't control other peoples stupidity but it can be avoidable. Yeah the van got fixed but the laziness of not bothering to go to the back of the servo when fuelling up for a convex mirror means the potential for it to happen again is still there.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I believe the reason you are taught to check your mirrors first is so that you don't indicate and spook a cyclist or other road user into thinking you are changing course and haven't seen them.
So you show that you are aware of your surroundings before you make the decision to alter course, keeping in mind that we are considering examination conditions here.
Once you've obtained your licence it's up to you wether you keep it.
Old 27-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #68
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So 2nd attempt at a licence was today with a different lady. They came back and lady wanted me present to hear the long list of things that she had to work on. Was being patient until she brought up....
Quote:
I believe the reason you are taught to check your mirrors first is so that you don't indicate and spook a cyclist or other road user into thinking you are changing course and haven't seen them.
Apparantly the instructor expects people to indicate without sussing everything out first? Then she said daughter was too "cautious" going through an uncontrolled instersection, the very thing that they were picking on in the first test!! She rattled off a few other things & i let her know that this was just getting ridiculous and your damned if you do & dont!!

After a bit of a scene, the instructor mumbled something about a pass, so heres a very happy young lady!!

falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

That's crazy, I mean I'm glad she passed but the confusion they've created is ridiculous and doesn't help the situation.

Best wishes to your daughter.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #70
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This entir thread does my head in. It seems you see the licence as a right off passage rather than a privilege based on education / skill

I guess your for participation ribbons as well

I wish your daughter a safe driving future.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #71
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
It seems you see the licence as a right off passage rather than a privilege based on education / skill
Seems the case for everyone else..... why stop now?

Old 28-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #72
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This entir thread does my head in. It seems you see the licence as a right off passage rather than a privilege based on education / skill

Grumpy old bugger!
Old 28-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #73
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Grumpy old bugger!
You Bettya

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #74
Kicking back

Quote:

I'm going to sort of but depending on the tone agree to a degree. A car is something that is heavy enough to cause harm to the driver in an incident. Even with the safety systems we are used too in newer cars. In the same token they can also be detrimental to people, livestock (I'm using that term loosely) and also property. The testing whilst it still has I criteria is still at the examiners judgement. So theres sort of an issue there but people have different opinions within the criteria. There are even more variables then either the judgment of the person being tested or the mood of the examiner. I did my exam in a car that the only luxury was electric windows and it was an auto. Mind you that was 13 years ago. Had I done it today I'd use either my mums car or dad's girlfriend car that pretty much let you know when you pass a butterfly. Problem is if you pass the test in a borrowed car then jump in your own that doesn't have any of that then well. My car that I don't get to drive has reversing sensors and the dippy mirror but my daily work ute leaves everything proximity and lane changy up to the 2 forward eye sight sensors that sit in my eye sockets. Also the stupid transmission never shifts so I have to use pedal 3 and pull the stick in an h pattern to gear up or down.
Old 31-10-2017, 12:56 AM   #75
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Age 16. Questions & hazard percerption test to qualify for L Plates which allows driving with licensed driver.

Age 18. More Questions & HCP Tests PLUS a separate advanced driving course to qualify for P Plates which are to be held for 3 years during which no car with more than 100kw to be driven. Zero alcohol for EVERY DRIVER regardless of age & experience.

If our so called 'Leaders of the country' are serious about the road toll and want to save the billions of dollars it costs every year, then these are the sorts of measures that will change it. I know it won't be popular, especially with younger people, but if you've had a license for 30 odd years, like myself, just think how much bad driving you see and how often you see it.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2017, 01:02 AM   #76
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You should consider yourself lucky then, imagine if your Daughter and her workmate were approaching that same intersection perpendicular to one another at 45k/hr without the lesson learnt....

Sounds to me like it's a good job the tester takes them through that style of intersection and a common theme in their lack of understanding of it.
Your comment about lack of understanding reminded me of something similar I said to myself going through a two lane round about as the car next to me cut right across my lane as we exited together....
Old 31-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #77
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Age 16. Questions & hazard percerption test to qualify for L Plates which allows driving with licensed driver.

Age 18. More Questions & HCP Tests PLUS a separate advanced driving course to qualify for P Plates which are to be held for 3 years during which no car with more than 100kw to be driven. Zero alcohol for EVERY DRIVER regardless of age & experience.

If our so called 'Leaders of the country' are serious about the road toll and want to save the billions of dollars it costs every year, then these are the sorts of measures that will change it. I know it won't be popular, especially with younger people, but if you've had a license for 30 odd years, like myself, just think how much bad driving you see and how often you see it.
I think simply confiscating mobile phones would solve 99% of the inattention.

I regularly see the young guys driving triple road trains with a phone in front of their face.
Training obviously doesn't work. You don't just get an mc licence.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #78
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
I think simply confiscating mobile phones would solve 99% of the inattention.

I regularly see the young guys driving triple road trains with a phone in front of their face.
Training obviously doesn't work. You don't just get an mc licence.
You would think I would have mentioned that considering I was a victim of a driver to engrossed in her conversation to remember she was actually driving a car and red lights mean stop....
Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #79
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

That’s nothing new, my mate 20 years ago used to drive a triple road train at night in the NT watching a DVD player on the dash and reading a book on the steering wheel, I was blown away when I saw it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #80
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
That’s nothing new, my mate 20 years ago used to drive a triple road train at night in the NT watching a DVD player on the dash and reading a book on the steering wheel, I was blown away when I saw it.
That's silly.

Why would you watch a DVD and read a book at the same time
Old 01-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #81
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Young drivers & a car full of mates are to me tempting fate just like driving with their mobile phones in hand.

Saw a young p plater the other day power through a roundabout with a full car of friends, didnt bother to even look, they were travelling fast enough to nearly get airborne..

Shook my head & said to myself, if only your parents saw that, today young buddy you are lucky..

Got home, told the missus & have banned my P plater teenage son from having more than one friend in his Laser at a time till on green P's. He grumped a bit but accepted why & now wants to do a advanced driving course asap. Better to be safe than sorry...

Congrats to Bandits daughter for getting her P plates, now she has to work on keeping them safely lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #82
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
That's silly.

Why would you watch a DVD and read a book at the same time

Multi skilling I suppose. Though he did say that he could pick up the story on the DVD just from most of the audio but what really surprised me was actually how long he read the book for before turning his eyes back to the road.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #83
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Young drivers & a car full of mates are to me tempting fate just like driving with their mobile phones in hand.

Saw a young p plater the other day power through a roundabout with a full car of friends, didnt bother to even look, they were travelling fast enough to nearly get airborne..

Shook my head & said to myself, if only your parents saw that, today young buddy you are lucky..

Got home, told the missus & have banned my P plater teenage son from having more than one friend in his Laser at a time till on green P's. He grumped a bit but accepted why & now wants to do a advanced driving course asap. Better to be safe than sorry...

Congrats to Bandits daughter for getting her P plates, now she has to work on keeping them safely lol!

cheers, Maka
Good on you for being involved in your sons driving etc. I had a bad accident in the 80's driving a Laser. I thought they were the same as rear wheel drive which was all I knew how to handle when the back end steps out. Boy was I wrong. For years I have been telling anybody who listens, before a driver can drive on their own, they should have to complete an advanced driving course & driving on phones should be banned for everybody along with Zero alcohol. Then we may have a chance at reducing accidents.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #84
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like your a good dad and she is learning well.

Can i make a suggestion that after giving her a bit of freedom to get some experience.....then send her off to a Defensive driving course. Reminds them that they have a lot to learn and gets their mind back on the job when they get a bit comfy.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2017, 12:07 AM   #85
Kicking back

I did a defensive driving course earlier this year. It was a work thing because whilst I've never had a fender bender in any car I've owned but not at fault maybe 3 or 4 years ago I got can opened by a tray back hilux in the work van. I wasn't at fault, apparently a white van isn't a big enough thing to see when not indicating to change lanes. Anyhow I've been upgraded to a ute since. The only reason myself and another guy had to do the course was to not single out the young bloke who had 5 accidents in a year. 4 in the van allocated to him and one in my old van in the week his was at the smash repairers.
Anyhow the guy running the course was there early. I rocked up and backed it in and the other 2 fronted in. First question was why'd you park how you did. The old bloke said it's because he always does. I got asked and (mind you no rear vision on either the 2 vans or my ute) and my reason for backing in was I can see the free spot and see traffic driving out. The young blokes reason was valid for fronting in. If he backs in he needs to move it forward to open the tailgate. So after the speil of how if you front in and reverse out you will run over s child and they will die, I got singled out because I didn't really want to be there and I had work to do. So it was seat position time. Righto my ute and myself. I typically have a lot of seat time so I tend to be more egonomic then gangsta lean. The instructor had to think for a bit and then explain to the other 2 why my position in the seat in relation to the wheel, pedels and gear stick is where you should be. I'm not a idiot. I spend a stupid amount of time in the car. I won't carry on about the rest and yes it's a good course for a person who is inexperienced because there are alot of things you don't realise until they almost happen.

Last edited by .:4:.; 02-11-2017 at 12:12 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #86
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I did a defensive driving course
Everyday on the Hume is a defensive driving course.

I remember my first driving lesson (1979) by ABC was out on Pennant Hills Rd, Carlingford to Hornsby back before the Cumberland bypass and F1. (now M1) I was green in the head and brown in the shorts when I returned.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #87
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Almost exactly a year past, and she's in an accident.

This is the exact moment she failed to giveway at a T-intersection in rush hour traffic. Thought she'd seen an opening.... guess not. Doesnt matter how good young people think they can drive, their ego is always ahead of their abilities. I can tell you its not a very pleasant thing to have your daughter ring you literally 5min after leaving the house, crying hysterically over the phone then a random male on the scene tell me "she's ok the ambulance is coming"....

Apart from a very sore neck, nobody was hurt, the focus looks all but done, & a quick quote for insurance out of curiousity shows $2200 per year with this glowing new piece of driving history. Hope this is a lesson learned for her, im sure there is.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #88
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Almost exactly a year past, and she's in an accident.

This is the exact moment she failed to giveway at a T-intersection in rush hour traffic. Thought she'd seen an opening.... guess not. Doesnt matter how good young people think they can drive, their ego is always ahead of their abilities. I can tell you its not a very pleasant thing to have your daughter ring you literally 5min after leaving the house, crying hysterically over the phone then a random male on the scene tell me "she's ok the ambulance is coming"....

Apart from a very sore neck, nobody was hurt, the focus looks all but done, & a quick quote for insurance out of curiousity shows $2200 per year with this glowing new piece of driving history. Hope this is a lesson learned for her, im sure there is.

Ironically, it was not giving way at an intersection.
Glad she's OK.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #89
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Ironically, it was not giving way at an intersection.
Glad she's OK.

she was too busy looking left for traffic, just never seen the car on the right. Tow guy said he knew exactly what intersection it was when he got the call out. The right side has cars coming down a steep hill around a bend, & they usually gain a bit of speed. You find yourself looking right 50times cause they come up on you pretty quickly

i told her its better to have a pile of cars behind you beeping their horns for a couple minutes, than rather play frogger with traffic
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #90
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
she was too busy looking left for traffic, just never seen the car on the right. Tow guy said he knew exactly what intersection it was when he got the call out. The right side has cars coming down a steep hill around a bend, & they usually gain a bit of speed. You find yourself looking right 50times cause they come up on you pretty quickly

i told her its better to have a pile of cars behind you beeping their horns for a couple minutes, than rather play frogger with traffic
Oh i dont know about that, around here holding anyone up is frowned upon, even if you're doing nothing wrong..

I promise i wont crack up laughing at your daughters misfortune though, karma works in mysterious ways..