Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #1531
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: AFF Weight Gain/Loss Program

71.5kg now

Went and got a free health check (sugar / cholesterol and blood pressure) and are are at mid to lower part of 'normal'.

Couldn't be happier.

Just wish I did it before I started to see the change.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #1532
xr8cam

Great product for those who like sugar in their drinks or on cereal and in cooking etc This is a naturally sourced product and it tastes sweet like sugar and has no chemical taste because it is not chemical. It is called Xylitol and is cheapest when bought in bulk. I buy 20kg sacks. Health food shops and supermarkets carry some things with Xylitol in them, but I think to buy the granules like sugar, try health food stores or online. if anyone's keen I can pass on our supplier.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #1533
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Xylitol, like most polyols, tends to give people wind/diarrhoea in larger amounts... YMMV
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #1534
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Back in 2007 I had a lapband fitted., Initially lost a fair bit, and yes considerably slowed my eating. But as time went on I learnt to force food bast the band and blew out to 130Kg.

So now I have (Jan 21 2017) had the lapband removed and had a gastric bypass.

Am down to 118kg (7 kg since surgery)

I will keep you updated.

P.S. Last night was my first day off a liquid only diet and now on a puree diet for a week.

I had a small tin of Baked Beans for dinner.....More than enough to fill me up.

My wife had the same done in March 2016 and she is now flat out being able to eat 3 chicken nuggets before being full.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #1535
xr8cam

I don't think enough emphasis is placed on the psychological reasons for eating. They are so quick to do the surgery, not so quick on the therapy. I haven't heard of one successful case which points to another disastrous medical 'trend' with one way benefits.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #1536
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Xylitol, like most polyols, tends to give people wind/diarrhoea in larger amounts... YMMV
My wife & I have both used Xylitol exclusively for over three years and have never had any issues changing from sugars to this. Xylitol is also w natural bacteria killer. It doesn't cause decay so each night after brushing, put a quarter of a teaspoon in your mouth & swish around. Neither of us have had any decay or dentist dramas since we started doing this. Both of us 'round 50yo, so teeth have seen some work & dramas here and there. Anyway, highly recommended because A: it works and B: it tastes great, just like sugar and you can cook with it and treat it just like sugar. Anybody who has looked into sugar knows it is a killer, literally, and not just for bigger people.
Old 16-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #1537
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgive my ignorance but I'm keen to hear your opinions on my situation. I'm a tall slim build, 6'3" and weigh in at 93 kg. I maintain a fairly regular exercise regime in the gym working all muscle groups with the aim of maintaining good general fitness and perhaps make it to 95 plus kg with muscle mass and low body fat. The issue is I hit the wall some days about 45 mins through my workout, especially if it's a leg/ lower body day,now, if I have a sugar hit it gets me going and all is good,but hey it's not ideal. I usually work out later in the afternoon and always eat a good lunch about 4 hours before working out. I have one or two coffees a day. There are pre workout supplements which I assume are caffeine,energy drinks etc etc. just curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this?
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2017, 01:40 AM   #1538
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Know a couple of guys who had lapbands, and I reckon it did more harm than good.
The official line, about it creating a "pouch" or a smaller stomach at the top, just seems to be BS. What it does is choke your guts so that eating ANYTHING becomes difficult. Initially they lost weight, because they just couldn't eat anything. Eventually they had to get the band deflated just so they could eat.
And the problem then is what they could and did eat. Salads and Veggies were completely out. The best he could manage for dinner was mashed potato with extra butter, and a bit of gravy to flavour it up. Followed by custard and icecream for desert.

I have contemplated the Gastric Sleeve. All-round it seems the best option. I am just worried it will leave my stomach TOO small.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2017, 01:45 AM   #1539
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the moment, I have finally taken the plunge and just started eating healthy. I have cut out most meat, most bulk carbs, all cheese, and a lot of my dairy and sugar. I'm down to one latte a day, with splenda, and occasionally a little bit of diet yoghurt.
Whilst the kilos are only coming off slowly, the amazing thing is just how much better I feel. No gut problems, no bloating, more energy, etc.

My scales are inaccurate, so I don't get too hung up on minor movements. But I started at around 140, and am now around 135.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #1540
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Sorry to bump and older thread, but thought I’d pick your brains..

I’ve been on the SIBO Bi-phasic diet, it’s similar to paleo, but with more restrictions.

Paleo, as you may know has no grains, sugars or diary, or very little.

Anyway, I’ve been doing this for 6 weeks now and have dropped nearly 20kgs. The problem is I have a huge gut and it seems almost none has come off it but everywhere else.

I’m thinking of getting a rowing machine to up the cardio side of things and maybe to burn the gut off.

Open to ideas though, it’s great I’ve lost a heap...but hate the gut.
Old 21-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #1541
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The gut is the last to go. So long as the weight is still falling, keep doing what you're doing.

BUT... what happens when you reach your target weight? Most people doing 'diets' see their weight rebound when they go back to a more regular diet. Are you planning on sticking with SIBO indefinitely?
Old 21-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #1542
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Don’t think sibo is realistically a sustainable diet.

What it has done is got me off carbs and helped me with portion control though.

The rest is up to me I guess.

I have no target weight either, once the gut is gone I’d be happy
Old 22-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #1543
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have some calipers (even verniers will do if you're careful), do a skin fold test to work out your bodyfat %. Generally, the gut disappears mostly by the time you get down to around 20%.

https://www.verywellfit.com/calculat...nfolds-3120273
Old 24-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #1544
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
For the moment, I have finally taken the plunge and just started eating healthy. I have cut out most meat, most bulk carbs, all cheese, and a lot of my dairy and sugar.
So what do you actually eat??

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #1545
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
Anyway, I’ve been doing this for 6 weeks now and have dropped nearly 20kgs. The problem is I have a huge gut and it seems almost none has come off it but everywhere else.
Lost 20kg already, how heavy are you/were you?

Make sure you do some exercise, go for a long fast walk every day after dinner or first thing in the morning depending on your schedule. Do some push ups and sit ups and body weight squats at home.

Quote:
I’m thinking of getting a rowing machine to up the cardio side of things and maybe to burn the gut off.

Open to ideas though, it’s great I’ve lost a heap...but hate the gut.
Typical modern western approach, no need to buy anything, cardio is totally free, you can walk, run, sprint, skip, swim etc all without spending a cent.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 09-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #1546
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

After starting out on sibo, I moved to keto and haven’t looked back.

There’s exactly 12 months between these two photos..

Old 15-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #1547
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:

Far out.... that is amazing. Credit to you !!
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #1548
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You don't even look like the same person, great results, and there is still people who claim Keto Dieting does not work

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 22-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #1549
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone heard of, or even done, or considered the 'Carnivore Diet' or the 'Snake Diet'?

Thoughts and discussion would be interesting.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #1550
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been doing something akin to Snake diet... small feeding window (3-4hrs) and no food for the rest of the time. Food intake is in the evenings. No issues. Rarely hungry, no fatigue to speak of. Unlike the Snake diet, I'm not drinking the snake juice (TBH, seems like a pointless gimmick), but am drinking tea or coke zero. The main thing is to minimise calorie intake when having drinks.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM   #1551
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've been doing something akin to Snake diet... small feeding window (3-4hrs) and no food for the rest of the time. Food intake is in the evenings. No issues. Rarely hungry, no fatigue to speak of. Unlike the Snake diet, I'm not drinking the snake juice (TBH, seems like a pointless gimmick), but am drinking tea or coke zero. The main thing is to minimise calorie intake when having drinks.
'Snake Juice' provides essential electrolytes while you are not eating, stops cramps and also ensures your heart and brain and muscles are firing correctly. Saying essential electrolytes are a gimmick is like saying breathing is a gimmick.

Not a gimmick rather a life essential fluid for optimal health and performance.

Sorry but there is no way under any circumstances that I would be drinking Diet Coke or any other diet drink.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 09-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #1552
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
'Snake Juice' provides essential electrolytes while you are not eating, stops cramps and also ensures your heart and brain and muscles are firing correctly. Saying essential electrolytes are a gimmick is like saying breathing is a gimmick.
Electrolyte replacement is an issue when undertaking prolonged fasts (ie. >2-3 days). If you have a daily eating window, it isn't - you are getting enough from your food. Under normal activity, you simply don't lose enough. Go to a medical text and look up Na/K excretion rates if you don't believe me.

Do you hook yourself up to a saline drip while you sleep?

Quote:
Sorry but there is no way under any circumstances that I would be drinking Diet Coke or any other diet drink.
Because?
Old 18-02-2019, 12:41 AM   #1553
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Electrolyte replacement is an issue when undertaking prolonged fasts (ie. >2-3 days). If you have a daily eating window, it isn't - you are getting enough from your food. Under normal activity, you simply don't lose enough. Go to a medical text and look up Na/K excretion rates if you don't believe me.?
I asked about the snake diet, which involves long term fasting.

On an intermitted fasting regime you can probably get away without added electrolytes provided you are mostly sedentary and if you do not drink a lot of water.

Quote:
Do you hook yourself up to a saline drip while you sleep??
No, but I only sleep 6-8 hours at a time, I have on several occasions woken up with bad cramps, especially after days of prolonged activity such as working out on the property on hot days followed by gym sessions.

Drinking water with a specific electrolyte balance throughout the day has resolved the cramps issue instantly.

Quote:
Because?
Do you really have to ask?? Seriously, it tastes like **** to begin with, there are no conceivable benefits to consuming it, and plenty of risk of consuming a chemical cocktail with unknown side effects and long term consequences.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 18-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #1554
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I asked about the snake diet, which involves long term fasting.
24-48hr is not a long term fast.

Quote:
I have on several occasions woken up with bad cramps, especially after days of prolonged activity
while on the diet, or generally? aren't you at all concerned that prolonged fasting is counterproductive for someone that is weight-training? you want to be consuming protein no greater than 48hrs post-exercise, though ideally within around 8hrs. similarly for replenishing glycogen post-workout (which spares muscle breakdown) which you aren't doing at all on keto.

Quote:
Do you really have to ask?? Seriously, it tastes like **** to begin with, there are no conceivable benefits to consuming it, and plenty of risk of consuming a chemical cocktail with unknown side effects and long term consequences.
not much of a chemical cocktail. acesulfame is excreted entirely, aspartame is broken down to metabolizable components. and while there is a supposed risk with some types of caramel, they are lower risks than those associated with frying meats or vegetables.

what studies demonstrate the long term safety of keto diets?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #1555
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
24-48hr is not a long term fast.
A lot longer than what 99.9% of the population fast

Quote:
aren't you at all concerned that prolonged fasting is counterproductive for someone that is weight-training?
What makes you say it's counter productive? Fasting increases growth hormone, is muscle sparing and fat burning, all desirable things when weight training.

Quote:
not much of a chemical cocktail. acesulfame is excreted entirely, aspartame is broken down to metabolizable components. and while there is a supposed risk with some types of caramel, they are lower risks than those associated with frying meats or vegetables.
What risk is there in frying meat and vegetables?? Never heard of this unless you are referring to some outdated incorrectly conducted study done back in the day.

Quote:
what studies demonstrate the long term safety of keto diets?
What studies demonstrate a long term danger or risk factor of Keto diets?

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 03-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #1556
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A lot longer than what 99.9% of the population fast
Physiology doesn't change depending on how many people are doing something. 24-48hrs is not a long term fast WRT needing to replace electrolytes for most people.

Quote:
What makes you say it's counter productive? Fasting increases growth hormone, is muscle sparing and fat burning, all desirable things when weight training.
High intensity weight training engages the anaerobic/alactic system, which is powered by creatine/glycogen. Training in a fasted state (ie. one in which glycogen is depleted) increases the likelihood of catabolism, and reduces the scale of the adaptive response to training. Your power output on fat is significantly less than on glycogen (around a third less), and is why distance runners 'hit the wall', they transition from glycogen to fat.

Quote:
What risk is there in frying meat and vegetables?? Never heard of this
Maillard reaction generates advanced glycation end-products, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, nitrosamines. All linked to cancer. Loads of research on it.

Quote:
What studies demonstrate a long term danger or risk factor of Keto diets?
You're the one who criticised the risk of doing something with unknown side effects and long term consequences. If you're going to have a go at me for drinking something that hasn't been demonstrated to be unsafe, it seems only fair to do the same re: keto.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #1557
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maillard reaction generates advanced glycation end-products, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, nitrosamines. All linked to cancer. Loads of research on it
Loads of flawed and incorrect research done on it, no conclusive research that shows even a remote link to humans. Don't believe everything you see on a Currant Affair on TV.

From the National Institute of Cancer:

'Studies have shown that exposure to HCAs and PAHs can cause cancer in rodents. In many experiments, rodents fed a diet supplemented with HCAs developed tumors of the breast, colon, liver, skin, lung, prostate, and other organs. Rodents fed PAHs also developed cancers, including leukemia and tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and lungs. However, the doses of HCAs and PAHs used in these studies were very high—equivalent to thousands of times the doses that a person would consume in a normal diet.

Population studies have not established a link between HCA and PAH exposure from cooked meats and cancer in humans. '

So in conclusions don't feed your pet rats huge amounts of charred meat.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 04-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #1558
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Loads of flawed and incorrect research done on it, no conclusive research that shows even a remote link to humans. Don't believe everything you see on a Currant Affair on TV.
You do get why they cant get ethics approval to feed people potentially genotoxic substances, right? I'm not sure what your basis is for concluding most of the research is flawed and incorrect, beyond your own inherent bias.

Quote:
Population studies have not established a link between HCA and PAH exposure from cooked meats and cancer in humans.
But they have established a link between processed and red meat consumption and cancer. The funny part is that as more people move to a vegan diet or plant-based diet, and as more processed foods go vegan, I suspect the health outcomes for those people will also get worse. It probably isn't so much what you eat, but how you eat it.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #1559
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You do get why they cant get ethics approval to feed people potentially genotoxic substances, right? I'm not sure what your basis is for concluding most of the research is flawed and incorrect, beyond your own inherent bias.
It's a direct copy and paste from the National Institute of Cancer research , not my personal bias, if the National Cancer Institute can't find a link I am pretty certain there is no link. As I am sure they would have looked into it. Even population studies have found no link.

I think you get confused with dosage, feeding a rat several thousand times a safe level of any substance and it results in the animal getting sick has no relevance to humans getting cancer. Excess water consumption can be harmful and many essential vitamins are highly toxic in high dosages yet essential to life in small dosages.

Quote:
But they have established a link between processed and red meat consumption and cancer.
Which one?? Processed meat or red meat or processed red meat? They are all different things.

Also what level of processed are we talking about?? Absolutely ALL meat is processed, otherwise it would still be walking around in the paddock.

There is a couple of interesting videos on red meat causes cancer:

Dr Berg is in his 50's and follows a ketonic diet, the man looks better than most 30 year olds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1wy2NeItQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwyjo-NgQsE

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 04-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #1560
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another one on processed meat :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ygs2j0v0sU

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave