Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #1291
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

This is the money making machine you want to be operating.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #1292
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Will never be the same BUT i can still bluff my way through a medical

You know yourself Allen how much it counts to turn up for work as well as just being a number...

Pity my reference's probably have new numbers by now :/
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #1293
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Shearers..very cool. Man whats not cool, dragging that mofo AFC chain 3/4 way down the face...hehe
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #1294
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace View Post
Still got that PM i sent ya a couple of years ago mate ?
Yeah mate, fired a resume off to Jamie at York..
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #1295
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Ahh sweet yerr they seemed to price themselves out of the industry up here :/

I've given facebook the flick so i can't get onto the mining page that post's every hour but the link i posted above ^^^ has all bases pretty much covered...

Raise your expected income from 150K-200K on SEEK as well ...

I find SEEK very useful...
Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #1296
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a mine but still pretty good, Find out tomorrow if I have been successful for a job on Hamilton island, pretty good benefits to follow also
Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #1297
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

things pretty quiet in town here, still people quitting and going elsewhere so people are hiring, we got a lot of green coming through now after a 12 month hiring freeze when the price of gold **** the tin, still WA miners get a shed load less wages than the QLD coal miners that's for sure
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #1298
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8 View Post
still WA miners get a shed load less wages than the QLD coal miners that's for sure
That's surprising! Is that as a contractor or permanent?

69 Camaro, ls1, t56 htv2300 slowly being built

Build thread - http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=12534
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 02:28 AM   #1299
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
things pretty quiet in town here, still people quitting and going elsewhere so people are hiring, we got a lot of green coming through now after a 12 month hiring freeze when the price of gold **** the tin, still WA miners get a shed load less wages than the QLD coal miners that's for sure
What company's do you recommend applying with there ?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #1300
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Your digging out the wrong stuff that's why. My brother in law has just gone back to the Pilbara iron ore game after 2 years over here in Qld coal mining, he's now $20k pa better off from the get go......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #1301
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Spent nearly two years as an all round machinery operator...excavator, loader, bobcat, roller, watercart and forklift at cloud break and Brockman 4.. This was back in 2011, trying to get back into it and am totally ignored. Not even a single interview.

Really is who you know and what you know...it's how I got there in the first place..just don't have the contacts from then anymore...anyway, like I said it's who you know because I came across some "operators" who only just got their tickets and get given the keys to something like a 966 loader... Scary!

I actually got hired to drag the fuel and grease trailer around, but never spent a minute doing it because I could actually use the machines.

I know I'm probably 1 of thousands applying for a job, but when I see one that asks for experienced operators of all the machines I have tickets for AND current Rio inductions (which I had at the time) and get totally ignored...it really breaks ones spirit.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #1302
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
Spent nearly two years as an all round machinery operator...excavator, loader, bobcat, roller, watercart and forklift at cloud break and Brockman 4.. This was back in 2011, trying to get back into it and am totally ignored. Not even a single interview.

Really is who you know and what you know...it's how I got there in the first place..just don't have the contacts from then anymore...anyway, like I said it's who you know because I came across some "operators" who only just got their tickets and get given the keys to something like a 966 loader... Scary!

I actually got hired to drag the fuel and grease trailer around, but never spent a minute doing it because I could actually use the machines.

I know I'm probably 1 of thousands applying for a job, but when I see one that asks for experienced operators of all the machines I have tickets for AND current Rio inductions (which I had at the time) and get totally ignored...it really breaks ones spirit.

Yep, know what you mean, it's been lean out there........you tried Watpac or Valmec?

There is something going on up at Onslow too at the present, heaps of earthmoving/civils stuff...........

Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #1303
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I haven't tried those guys, no.

From what I'm hearing, there is a push to move away from fifo in some of the towns and hire locals or people willing to move at their own expense. Pretty hard to do considering how steep rent is, not as bad as the peak a few years ago, but still pretty high.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #1304
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm still on-site in Tom Price. Think it is pretty lean out here...managed to keep my role through the cuts by being reliable and working hard.

Currently doing 6 on 1 off to help the boss out while he's short. 72 hour weeks, awesome more but no life!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #1305
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
I haven't tried those guys, no.

From what I'm hearing, there is a push to move away from fifo in some of the towns and hire locals or people willing to move at their own expense. Pretty hard to do considering how steep rent is, not as bad as the peak a few years ago, but still pretty high.
Do you know what a RH200 is and can you operate it?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #1306
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post

Without googling, it's an excavator.

And give me 30 minutes and yes I could.... I've operated up to 40 tonne before.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #1307
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I'm full time, residential based 10 minutes from home to sitting in our crib room ready to go, more in iron ore and coal but not interested in FIFO with young kids, the big coins not here but the perks of living in my own house and home every night are
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #1308
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Ok just googled it, I was right..sorta..

A face shovel...big boy!

I'd love to have a go
Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #1309
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Ok just googled it, I was right..sorta..

A face shovel...big boy!

I'd love to have a go
PM sent

Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #1310
Road Games

The mines re-imburse you a fair whack of rent so the DIDO guys are only just out of pocket these days around moranbah...

EG: rent was $3000 for a 4 bedroom house 3 years ago, now it has dropped to $750 and BMA are paying $600 week rent assistance...

FIFO for the win IMO if you can land it ...

I feel really sorry for the Collinsville guys
Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #1311
05_ENFORCER

Any one been up to Wodgina since Atlas took over recently??

Old 08-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #1312
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER View Post

That's a big machine ! Are they similar controls to a excavator ? Ive operated 35 tonne CATs, I dislike excavators though, I seem to get bored pretty quick, Graders on the other hand, Wish I could get a start just doing haul roads or something similar but im pretty keen to do anything just to get a start.
Old 17-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #1313
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/...-1226957604000
The "Fly in, Fly out" man.........
Old 17-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #1314
05_ENFORCER

New Chinese iron ore mine starting up near Perenjori called Top Iron, calling for maintenance trades in a month or two

recruitment@topiron.com.au

Old 17-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #1315
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand why we have a dole, when I was on it it made no sense to me that my environment was mainly around the house doing nothing, it creates a perception that's easy to fall in. There aren't enough jobs (60 000 graduates and only 20 000 qualified positions per year avg) so obviously people need to be on it.

But instead of the work for the dole crap why don't we scrap the dole all together and bring in a new system called guaranteed employment? Where instead of free checks people the government can employ them to build all the infrastructure for mining/roads/rails? could you imagine how much it would help? And it's reasonable. I don't get why they can't contribute despite not finding employment the government pays them a fortnightly cheque anyway they may as well be working labouring jobs on roads, rails. mines, oil etc. It's better regardless of wage as personally when you sit around the house you fall into a state of mind and can live that way forever.. They will still be required to find employment and will be cut off like normal if not attending centrelink appointments and in this case for not attending work or "paying your way". I think it's fair if they have the capacity to work there's no reason for them to sit at home despite not finding employment. I don't get it, community work is suggested but why?? Why doesn't centrelink employ them under normal conditions and give them unskilled work (or even skilled if there's a position and the person is qualified). Government or even private (yes even free employees, instead of giving SPC millions, because the unemployed wouldn't be obligated to SPC, but the government/centrelink for SPC.

We pay all these useless centrelink independent assessors when some of the people they are assessing and kicking off the dole unfairly are much smarter and more qualified than them at their own job.. Why not "employ" a qualified welfare recipient to assess other recipients instead of paying them to sit at home watching their HR/management degree go to waste? I remember personally when I was on the dole I got "assessed" by a literal retard he then revealed he had a hole in his brain but he recovered and because he can return to work anyone can... He was simply comparible to an individual you would find in a stereotypical low class american neighbourhood, non functional and amazing that they could give someone that naive, aloof and incapacitated the authority to decide peoples fates. Think of what Snoop dog would be like if he did bath salts everyday as well as the weed, no joke that's the people they employ there. To unfairly assess competent incoherent people and deny them the same future he was denied himself.

I just don't get why people who can't find work but can work get to sit at home when they could be contributing to all this infrastructure that would give our country a nice boom once it's all up and running. Everything would stay the same, payment, appointments, job search criteria etc. They will just be required to work instead of sit at home and would be cut off for not attending "work responsibilities" as they would normally for appointments/not applying for jobs etc. It just seems reasonable and I don't get why we don't do it.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 17-06-2014 at 11:35 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #1316
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Probably because you're effectively paying someone around $7 an hour or less for the amount of money they get on the dole, which is less than half the minimum wage and less than what I was getting as a first year junior apprentice in 2010.

How about instead of pushing people to these privately owned job providers they actually connect with some employers and cut out the middle man, the middle man who wants to keep people on the books to get $$$, there is a hell of a lot of work out there that needs to be done, surely they can spare the minimum wage to have someone do it, from picking up rubbish on the side of the freeway to other things that need to be done around the joint.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #1317
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Oh job providers...biggest drain on the system at the moment.

As for mining..its slim pickings at the moment; not many, if any, making money.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #1318
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan View Post
This is the money making machine you want to be operating.
Oh gawd. Give me development any day! Hate longwalls!
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #1319
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
what a big sook

he needs a little concrete
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #1320
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
what a big sook

he needs a little concrete
When I was mining (Tom Price, Telfer, Newman) you flew out on holidays or when quitting....

Now I'm in the Offshore Oil & Gas, it's 4 or 5 weeks on/off, and if your relief doesn't show up you stay until one does lol......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post